GK-3 - Alternative pickup mounting on Bridge

Started by JolietJake, March 09, 2015, 08:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JolietJake

Hello Everyone

This may be of use to someone who is looking for a quick way to mount the GK3 to a a guitar with a tuneomatic bridge.
I recently acquired an Epiphone SG and was wanting to try it with the GK3, after using the Roland pickup mounting bracket I discovered that I could not lower the action enough with the bracket in place as it adds approx 2mm height on to the bridge.
I decided that I would simply use the supplied double sided tape but place it on the side of the pickup and fix it direct to the tuneomatic bridge.

In order to do this I loosened the strings and turned the bridge around so that the intonation adjusters are on the other side (away from the pickups). I then cleaned the side of the pickup and the side of the bridge with some alcoholic wipes to ensure there was no grease that would prevent the tape from sticking. cut the tape to length (shown in yellow) and cut two small pieces of 1mm thick card to sit on top of the 1st and 6th pickup to use as a height guide (Shown in red).

Simply feed the GK3 pickup gently in between the bridge and the guitar pickup. Position the pickup so that the poles of the pickup are as inline with the strings as possible and so that the pieces of card are just touching the 1st and 6th strings. Gently "tack the pickup in this location and remove the pieces of card. Once you are happy with the pickup location firmly (but carefully) press the pickup against the bridge.

That should be it. Certainly on my guitar the tape seems increadiby strong and I will probably have to use some freezer spray and a thin blade to remove it if I need to but at least there is guaranteed no damage to the body of the guitar from trying to remove the pickup.

Oh and obviously I re-adjusted the intonation and have also mounted my pickup upside down and changed the GR-55 polarity setting.

BackDAWman

Excellent idea! Especially the 1mm card on the 1st and 6th Pole pieces.

Now why didn't I think of that? ::)

Hotmamaandme

Have you had any tracking or string sensitivity issues with it mounted like this?
"For His Glory" Psalm 33 & 150

shawnb

That's freaking brilliant...  I just ordered a kit to try to do a similar thing, but I think this is better...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Hotmamaandme

I just mounted a GK3 to a Epi Sheraton ii like this. Mounting is simple and straight forward and seems solid. The only issue I seem to be having is using the tuner on my GR55 I cant seem to get the D string to be used / pick up a signal. All the other strings Im able to use the tuner on. The D strings tracks fine and sounds good.

JolietJake

Quote from: Hotmamaandme on July 03, 2016, 09:27:21 AM
I just mounted a GK3 to a Epi Sheraton ii like this. Mounting is simple and straight forward and seems solid. The only issue I seem to be having is using the tuner on my GR55 I cant seem to get the D string to be used / pick up a signal. All the other strings Im able to use the tuner on. The D strings tracks fine and sounds good.

Have you checked the GK3 settings for the D string, maybe it needs adjusted?

Hotmamaandme

Yes I have.    Fortunately it magically started working on all strings using the tuner..... maybe its just a 13pin cable issue?