FC300 - Roland FC-300 question

Started by loopman, April 23, 2012, 08:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loopman

Hi Guys,
some of my racks multi-fx ( TC fireworx, Lexicon PCM 81 and so on...) have some presets designed to be used with a midi keyboard,
in my case the midi keyboard is my guitar equipped with the GK 3.
Well, I want to control those presets by using my Roland GR-30 connected to the FC-300 and I do this by connecting the MIDI OUT of the GR-30 to the MIDI IN of the FC-300,then the MIDI OUT of the FC-300 to the MIDI IN of my rack unit

no results :( no midi signal seems to be incoming into the rack unit...
I guess that the FC-300 doesn't transmit the midi signal received from the GR-30, is it? where is the issue?
help me people

Thanks a lot

Brent Flash

Quote from: loopman on April 23, 2012, 08:28:09 AM
Hi Guys,
some of my racks multi-fx ( TC fireworx, Lexicon PCM 81 and so on...) have some presets designed to be used with a midi keyboard,
in my case the midi keyboard is my guitar equipped with the GK 3.
Well, I want to control those presets by using my Roland GR-30 connected to the FC-300 and I do this by connecting the MIDI OUT of the GR-30 to the MIDI IN of the FC-300,then the MIDI OUT of the FC-300 to the MIDI IN of my rack unit

no results :( no midi signal seems to be incoming into the rack unit...
I guess that the FC-300 doesn't transmit the midi signal received from the GR-30, is it? where is the issue?
help me people

Thanks a lot
MIDI OUT will send MIDI from the device. MIDI IN will receive MIDI from another device. MIDI THRU will pass MIDI received at the MIDI IN on (THRU) to another MIDI IN on another device.
So the way you have it hooked up you will be able to control the rack stuff with the FC-300 as long as they are set to the MIDI channel that the FC-300 is transmitting on. Does that clear it up for you?

loopman

The first part is clear for me, I already know the differences between MIDI IN-OUT-THRU
Also, my 3 rack multi-fx are set to receive the incoming midi on the same MIDI channel (the channel #1 in my case),
I do this  to check which one is receveing the midi data, but no unit seems to receive midi
how can I check out the FC-300 transmitting' channel?

P.S.  if I try to send midi directly from the MIDI OUT of my GR-30 to the MIDI IN of a rack unit, everything works fine..
       the issue appears only when I use the FC-300 between the GR-30 and my rack units

Per Haar

I'm not sure what it is you wanna do, but I don't see any point in connecting the GR-30 OUT > FC-300 IN.
It should be the other way around. FC-300 OUT > GR-30 IN > GR-30 THRU > FX Rack IN
This way the FC-300 controls both your GR-30 and the FX rack.

PH :)
Godin xtSa guitar,  Roland GR-55,  Boss RC-300

Fashion & Commercial photographer with a passion for looping :)

loopman

Hey PHaarhus,
this is a good idea, to reverse the connecting order : FC-300 OUT > GR-30 IN instead of  GR-30 OUT > FC-300 IN  I'll try it...
I just hope that the GR-30 will transmit all the data received from the FC-300 too,
becasue my goal is not to control the GR-30 with my FC-300, but to control my rack fx units both with FC-300 and GR-30

anyway, I'll check it...
;)

Brent Flash

Quote from: loopman on April 23, 2012, 11:05:15 AM
P.S.  if I try to send midi directly from the MIDI OUT of my GR-30 to the MIDI IN of a rack unit, everything works fine..
       the issue appears only when I use the FC-300 between the GR-30 and my rack units
Yes, this is how it should work. The FC-300 will not MERGE the MIDI coming into it with what it creates and then send it to the MIDI OUT of the FC-300, it will only send out the MIDI data created in the FC-300 to the MIDI OUT of the FC-300.

Brent Flash

Quote from: loopman on April 23, 2012, 11:42:43 AM
I just hope that the GR-30 will transmit all the data received from the FC-300 too,
becasue my goal is not to control the GR-30 with my FC-300, but to control my rack fx units both with FC-300 and GR-30
The VG-99 will do what you are wanting to do but I am not sure that the GR-30 will.

Per Haar

Quote from: loopman on April 23, 2012, 11:42:43 AM
Hey PHaarhus,
this is a good idea, to reverse the connecting order : FC-300 OUT > GR-30 IN instead of  GR-30 OUT > FC-300 IN  I'll try it...

anyway, I'll check it...
;)

aaah.... I see....then you need a midi-merge box, to merge the OUT from both the GR-30 and the FC-300. It's the only way :)
Godin xtSa guitar,  Roland GR-55,  Boss RC-300

Fashion & Commercial photographer with a passion for looping :)

Machh_2

hi...
some time ago, i had a similar problem, in my case one those equips was whit "midi local off" active, so those equip receive midi info but no transmit the info...
check the "local off" in all your equips...

[]'s

Wilson

loopman

Hi Machh_2,
the only unit capable of the "midi local off" function is the GR-30, all my other rack fx gears and the FC-300 don't have the " midi local off " function.
Said that, I actually don't know if my rack units have another name or word corresponding to the midi local off,
In fact, the commom midi parameters of my rack equipment are :
- Receive # channel
- Send    #  channel
- Bulk of  data method
- Pedals controller assignmet with Control change
- Program change control
- Device Id number

@  PHaarhus:
the GR-30 hasn't the MIDI Thru connector, unfortunately...thus, when I connect the MIDI OUT of the FC-300 to the Midi In of the GR-30,some FC-300 data like the 2th Exp Pedal, the two CTL 1 & 2 pedals are loosen and not transmitted to to my rack gears through the GR-30 MIDI OUT.

At this point, I'm realizing that I really need of a MIDI SPLIT/Merge box like a M-AUDIO MIDISPOT 4x4 or a MOTU MICRO EXPRESS