VG-99 - A question about REAR guitar input jack

Started by alfstone, December 15, 2016, 03:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfstone

When connecting a NORMAL guitar to the REAR guitar input jack, is it possible to output the sound from this rear input through the MAIN OUT (or the SUB OUT) of the VG-99,

OR

the only output available for this rear input is the GUITAR OUTPUT jack, I mean the one immediately near the input?

Thanks
Alfredo

Brent Flash

In normal configuration the GUITAR In will come out of the mains. Both MAIN and SUB OUT.

alfstone

Thanks Brent, perfect.

This way, if I connect an acoustic guitar to the rear guitar input, do I obtain an unaltered signal coming from the main (or the sub) out, or is there something I have to do BEFORE, to have a completely dry signal of the acoustic guitar connecting the VG-99 main (or sub) out e.g. to a digital recorder?

Thanks again  :)

Alfredo

Brent Flash

Quote from: alfstone on December 16, 2016, 01:08:00 AM
This way, if I connect an acoustic guitar to the rear guitar input, do I obtain an unaltered signal coming from the main (or the sub) out, or is there something I have to do BEFORE, to have a completely dry signal of the acoustic guitar connecting the VG-99 main (or sub) out e.g. to a digital recorder?
If you want an unaltered signal why are you plugging it into a VG-99? But to answer your question, depends on the preset you have called up on the VG. Most presets are to alter the guitar sound. I may be missing what you are trying to do, so please forgive me if I missed the point of your question.

aliensporebomb

Run parallel signal paths running a "hex rig" and a "conventional rig" at the same time.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mooncaine

It's possible to hear the normal guitar output through the main out & sub out. I do it all the time. It's the default... but you must edit a patch to turn up the input level of the normal guitar input. It's one of the last screens of the COSM guitar settings.

Press the COSM GTR button. Press the Page Right button repeatedly till you see settings for COSM pickup level (probably set to 25 or 50) and Normal guitar (probably set to 0 in most patches).

I think it's screen 7, the last one.

The reason that normal guitar volume is turned down in most patches is because (I believe) it can add noise, depending on the signal chain programmed into the patch.

I recently set up a bunch of patches that include the mag pickup input. When I'm just playing at home, I don't always bother connecting the mag pickup input... and some of those patches sound like an amp turned up with no guitar plugged in, ie, background hum or hiss. I go to that setting and turn normal guitar input level down to 0.

--moonie