FTP Plugin "Receiver in use"

Started by superawesomegreat, August 28, 2013, 04:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superawesomegreat

I'm trying to use the 64-bit TriplePlay plugin (in Ableton), but every time I've fired it up I see a message underneath the sensitivity meters that says "Receiver in use" - I can't see my sensitivity levels or get any readings from the tuner.  I can load a VSTi into one of the color-coded tracks and get noises from it, but when GUI is visible for said VSTi the "Receiver in use" is covering the FTP settings (Midi Mode, Touch Sensitivity etc.) that are normally on the left, and they are greyed-out. 

This has been the case since I first tried the plugin (which is the only way I'm going to be using Fishman's software), so I've avoided it and opted for hardware mode.  Is this "normal" or is this a real problem.  From where I'm sitting I can't even trigger two VSTi's at once through the FTP plugin because the pickup is stuck in Poly mode. 

Anyone have any insight into my issue?

Elantric

Ive not seen that before here at my end - but i use 32 bit mode
Best to contact Fishman Support asap

shawnb

I haven't seen that, & I'm all 64-bit.  I'd definitely call support.  Let us know what you find out.   

Some ideas to try... 
(1) That's the message you'd get if you unplugged the controller.   So I'd double-check the MIDI configuration, just to make sure everything makes sense. 

(2) I'd retry after a reboot.  If anything got glitchy on you, it's possible some software is hung in the background (e.g., the standalone app) and won't relinquish control of the device. 

(3) Also, try multiple VSTs; some I think are more stable than others.  E.g., I am **definitely** having some issues with Kontakt5...  Instability & it can't find files.  But I don't use it a lot so I haven't dug deep into that one.   

(4) If your DAW has a "synth rack", make sure you don't have extraneous copies of FTP running there.

These days, I can even have multiple FTP instances running in SONAR, all 64-bit, all stable (other than Kontakt5...).  Only one can talk to the controller at a time, though, so you have to press the "Use Here" button for your current track to take control.

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

superawesomegreat

Quote from: shawnb on August 29, 2013, 07:13:43 AM
Are you running the 64-bit version of Ableton?

Interesting read:
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/64bit-myths-facts/

Im running the 64-bit version of Ableton.  As for your recommendations, #2-4 fall under the "checked" or "n/a" category for me, but I don't know exactly what you mean in your first point when you say, "double-check the MIDI configuration, just to make sure everything makes sense."

I can trigger midi instruments through the FTP plugin, and nothing in Ableton gives any indication of being awry.

I called Fishman and left a message, and I will report back when they do.  I bet they tell me to uninstall/reinstall the FTP software and maybe even do a hardware (firmware?) reset, but I'll wait in case it's just something silly.

superawesomegreat

I [think that I] figured it out.  For some reason Ableton is detecting my TriplePlay as two MIDI devices.  I've seen this before with my friend's Alesis Control Pad.  When both of the TriplePlay devices are set to "Track" it seems to cause a conflict and result in the "Receiver in use" when using the FTP plugin.  I had assumed that I should have both set to track because this is what we do what with my friend's Control Pad, but apparently not; when I disable "Track" for the "Fishman TriplePlay (Port 2)" I no longer have the issue where is says "Receiver in use".

BTW...Fishman never got back to me, but I can't really blame them, as this problem seems to be fairly exotic, and more of a problem with Ableton rather than with the FTP side of things, which is why I didn't have this problem in the standalone version of their software.

bencarrollmusic

I was having the same "Receiver in use" problem in Cubase. I couldn't find any info about it anywhere, except this thread and in one extremely un-useful sentence in the TriplePlay FAQ's..so I figured I'd post how I fixed it here in case someone else is ever searching to fix the same issue in Cubase.

Here is what was causing the problem, simple fix.
Goto "Devices" menu
Select "Device Setup"
Click the "MIDI Port Setup"
You'll see 2 device listings for the TriplePlay - "Fishman TriplePlay" & "MIDIIN2 (Fishman TriplePlay)"
My setup had both boxes selected in In and Out.
I un-selected "MIDIIN2 (Fishman TriplePlay)" in the "Visable" column for both In and Out
After that I was able to access the "Levels," the "Tuner" and the "TriplePlay Parameters" that were not available with the "Receiver in use" error message.
You may need to reboot Cubase for this to take effect.

Thank you Superawesomegreat. I never would have known where to start w/o this tread.

patrick802

I was having weird problems in ableton as well.   Someone on this forum or Fishman (i can't remember ) informed me that the '2nd' midi input that shows up in ableton should NEVER be checked as it is for communicating only...or something like that.  ANYWAY, ever since I've left that input alone (off,off,off) I haven't had any problems.

patrick802

Also, for some reason in my mac ableton9 64-bit preferences window the triple play inputs are labeled:

Input:  Fishamn Tripleplay ( TP Guitar )
Input:  Fishman Tripleplay ( TP Control )   <(this is the one to never check on, or midi input 2 on other versions?

Just to be clear, some machines or software versions it will show as the above.  My software labels them this way.

Spider

TP Control is for FTP so don't use it.