String bending questions

Started by guitarmandp, February 22, 2016, 02:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitarmandp

Okay on Roland guitar synthesizers you can set the string bending to sound each pitch when you bend a note or you can turn off chromatic mode and it will reproduce the sounds of less than a semi-tone which is really great for stringed instruments, especially sitar.

Can I do this on the Triple Play or in Kontakt? I would love to be able to emulate all those weird string bending techniques that you hear on Indian sitar records but I can't with the default settings in triple play or Kontakt, in fact it doesn't sound like I'm bending a string at all, it just sounds like I'm playing all the pitches.

shawnb

Yes, the FTP supports 4 distinct string bending modes (trigger, stepped, smooth & auto - more details in the manual).   

Kontakt supports same, but it is sometimes hard to program Kontakt.   Programming Kontakt's PBR (pitch bend range) is covered in this thread:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16421.msg117638#msg117638
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

shawnb

For greatest flexibility, I suggest a PBR of 24.   This must be set on both your FTP and within Kontakt.   If you're in Mono mode, it needs to be set 6 times in Kontakt, once per channel/string/part.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp