GR-55 - James' (UK Roland Demonstrator) video and patches

Started by rczjhedrick, March 23, 2013, 11:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rczjhedrick

get these patches from the guy in the video below.  They are amazing!

QuoteHi Folks!

I demo for Roland/BOSS, and figured a good way to illustrate the sheer power and flexibility of the GR-55 would be to scribble down a list of well known and distinctive tracks, then see how closely I could recreate them with the Synth.

Even I was surprised to find it pretty much impossible to stump! Hopefully you'll agree, the sounds I ended up with are darned close. Pretty much anything you're after is in there if you're willing to go digging.

As mentioned in the video, with the exception of the drums everything you'll hear, be it the parts I play or the parts on the backing track, was recorded entirely from the GR-55 via a usb cable.

In conclusion, the GR-55 is an amazing tool. Even in the hands of a regular tool.

Apologies in advance for the bad hair day...

Edit: August 5th 2013

Given that Youtube comments sections are generally the exclusive domain of turbocharged douchenozzles, I'm truly humbled and very grateful for all the kind words. And flattery will get you everywhere...

Check out the link below, the file should contain the patches I played live and most of the sounds I used on the backing track too.

Have Fun!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B97KIvYXUHDaVU11MW81a0xoZkk/view
Thanks to Michael for hosting the file, hopefully anybody that has been unable to get hold of the patches should now be sorted!

papabuss

Some similar patches are already here in this forum...

If you use the SEARCH function you will find a VIVA LA VIDA, JUMP patch and more...
And BTW Welcome to the forum! :)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

rczjhedrick

Thanks papabuss!  I just got my GR-55 yesterday and I am blown away...and then I find this awesome forum where you all have poured blood, sweat, and tears in to these patches and I am just floored!  Thanks for all the time that everyone put into these!  I will tweak and post some of my patches soon. 

papabuss

guitarno

What is the name of the tune he's playing with the Nylon String patch? Sounds familiar but I cant place it.
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

whippinpost91850

This guys a good entertaining player and most of the patches are very good  8)

atonal

the nylon piece is either Strunz and Pharoah or Peter White..I'll check later and confirm

seanhogge

Quote from: guitarno on March 23, 2013, 04:44:20 PM
What is the name of the tune he's playing with the Nylon String patch? Sounds familiar but I cant place it.

It's "Shape of My Heart" by Sting. So far, it's the only patch from that video (James, a demonstrator from Roland) that I've been able to adequately reproduce. I've sent him a YouTube message letting him know that his video is what convinced me the GR-55 was a viable option for guitar synthesizing, and that I'd appreciate him either uploading the patches or at least describing the tweaks he implemented to get the nice, non-cheese sound. No reply so far.

mbenigni

I'm just amazed he can get through all that material without a single dropped note, ghost note, or timing glitch!

papabuss

Yes, that's the science with the cromatic, legato and portamento settings...
And thx seanhogge that's right it was Sting.... :)

seanhogge

Good news. James (from Roland UK) took time to personally write me back and informed me that BOSS may want to do something with them. So he's going to pursue that official channel for the moment, and we may see a patch share and promotion type deal soon. In my opinion, they'd be foolish not to. As I said, that demo video is one of the better I've seen, and it was the deciding factor at the end of my week-long research.

Gee, if only Roland US would be half so attentive, huh?

seanhogge

Well, more news. James was kind enough to give me his patches and asked that I share it here. He's been awesome to talk to, even briefly.

In any case, here's the patches. Someone let me know if I need to repost it elsewhere, or if you need to do so or whatever to make it easy to find. They include even the patches used on the backing tracks. It's important to note that these are 100% James' work, and he should be given full credit wherever this file is shared.

If you'd like to thank him personally, his YouTube username is "lardyomighty"

Enjoy, everyone. I myself am about to head home to load these up and get crazy.

Elantric

Good Job!
I added the patch G5L GR-55 Librarian  file as an attachment to the 1st post in this thread

And here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8208.0;attach=6999

papabuss

papabuss

To everyone who has downloaded these patches.
What's your reaction/opinion?

seanhogge

For the most part, I've found them less "accurate" to the tones he is reproducing and more "applicable" to actual use. Which really only applies to a couple of patches where he goes for a good, viable sound instead of a perfect replica. Which I think is why they sound great. It's the same philosophy that I hold to when doing a cover gig: I don't play the songs note for note. I do my best to achieve the overall spirit of the song, but it's my interpretation.

(That being said, I still have a deep respect and enjoyment of "note for note" tributes)

What surprises me most is the low volume on some of the patches. I'm not sure if it's a translation issue, or if it's intentional. If it's intentional, what was gained (pun intended?) by the lower volume?

papabuss

Same to me, seanhogge. I also had to increase the volume for nearly all patches. All in all I am a little bit disappointed. The patches don't sound so "rich" as in the video...
Perhaps he uses some individual special system settings...

seanhogge

Of course, we should remember that he may have tweaked these since he recorded that, and also his complete setup may be different enough that the volumes could be a result of that. The volume issue doesn't disappoint me. As we all know, sharing a patch is an exercise in patience: what works for my rig may sound quite terrible on yours. I have yet to download a non-COSM patch that didn't require tweaking.

I've also found that my patches, James' patches, and the patches I download never sound rich until they're in context. Even my "Gold on the Ceiling" patch, which I think is better than anyone else's sounds a bit frail by itself. However, his brass section patch (Gabriel's Hammer, I think?) is just as fat as it sounds on the video. Really, there are only maybe two or three patches that I wouldn't put in my banks unedited. In fact, I've talked my cover gig band into doing 3 (so far) of the patches in this set simply because they're there and they sound great.

rczjhedrick

Thanks for doing the leg work on these patches.....I have an issue with the WAIL!!! and the Rock lead patch...they don't work for me.  Any suggestions.  Are the working for eveyone else?

seanhogge

Most of the problems I've had are endemic to switching from one guitarist's rig to another. Volume, some nuance and velocity settings, and the like. What is the problem you're experiencing? No sound? Weak distortion? Malfunctioning expression pedal?

rczjhedrick

Im getting no sound at all from those two patches....I really want the WAIL patch....cause....it WAILS! :P

Filialen

The WAIL!!! and Rock Lead patches uses mag pickups only!
No COSM or PCM involved...

deano

Have any of you guys seen this video yet- by far the best demonstration of the GR55

Lardyomighty
QuoteI demo for Roland/BOSS, and figured a good way to illustrate the sheer power and flexibility of the GR-55 would be to scribble down a list of well known and distinctive tracks, then see how closely I could recreate them with the Synth.

Even I was surprised to find it pretty much impossible to stump! Hopefully you'll agree, the sounds I ended up with are darned close. Pretty much anything you're after is in there if you're willing to go digging.

As mentioned in the video, with the exception of the drums everything you'll hear, be it the parts I play or the parts on the backing track, was recorded entirely from the GR-55 via a usb cable.

In conclusion, the GR-55 is an amazing tool. Even in the hands of a regular tool.

Apologies in advance for the bad hair day...

Edit: August 5th 2013

Given that Youtube comments sections are generally the exclusive domain of turbocharged douchenozzles, I'm truly humbled and very grateful for all the kind words. And flattery will get you everywhere...

Check out the link below, the file should contain the patches I played live and most of the sounds I used on the backing track too.

Gumtown can you use your influence with Roland to access some of these patches?

Deano

A914Man

Yes, that's great.  Some of my students at Camp Electric (I was a chaperone in Nashville this year) were asking about my rig, and how I used the GR55, so I found this and played it for them.  That guy is gooood!
After only 37 years, I'm almost as good as I thought I was when I was 21

montyrivers

Bwahahaha!  I love how the patch for Van Halen's Jump is called. "Don't Do It". Great demo.