GR-55 Bug List for submission to Roland Corp.

Started by jcmidi, February 06, 2011, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcmidi

Twice while using the Phrase looper and changing patches the unit freezes. Had to restart ,anyone else ? Can't get the RX PC Map
function working. Sending PC from Lexicon MPX floorboard
works fine on fixed but when switched to PROG nothing. Tested another unit same thing. Sent all types of PC from other devices no luck.

Have owned GR500  GR300  GR700  GM70  GR30  GR33

gumtown

I feel a firmware update v1.01 coming on... :o
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

We must try to test  this puppy and I'll get the Bug List to Roland Corp.

Anyone test MIDI Clock Sync for the LFO effects yet?

LEts see if we can make a "Arcane GR-55 Functions that may have Bugs? list!!

Also  - if you post a bug - please edit your own post and provide all the exact details and list the other third party gear you used when seeing this "bug"

EDIT - Just to add some closure for Roland GR-55  - this entire thread of GR-55 Bug List was already submitted to Roland US during Winter NAMM 2012.

gumtown

As mentioned above,
If a potential bug is found, it is importaint to specify the exact situation this occuring in, so the event can be replicated by Roland.
specify the patch used, the connected equipment, including midi & USB + operating system.
And the sequence of events which led to the problem.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

ddlooping

Welcome to the forum, jcmidi, and thanks for the bug report. :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

imall41

Don't know if I should post this here , or in Q&A.

Anyway, I can't get the Driver to install on XP Home.(want to use Librarian).
The install goes well, until the very end, then it won't let me close the installer dialog box.
The only option is "cancel".
I have uninstalled, and reinstalled 3 times. Same thing each time.
I have tried different usb inputs on the pc, and am following "readme" instructions to the letter.
Does it matter if the librarian is installed "pre or post" driver?
Should I uninstall the VG99 driver(could this conflict)?
I will attempt to install the driver on my netbook, but that's Win7, so it's not the same driver.
Any thoughts, or similar problems from anyone?
Thanks(-:

Elantric

QuoteAnyway, I can't get the Driver to install on XP Home.(want to use Librarian).
The install goes well, until the very end, then it won't let me close the installer dialog box.
The only option is "cancel".

Determine if your XP Home OS has one of the service packs (SP1, SP2, SP3)

I think you may need at minimum SP2 version of XP.

Be sure, you have NOT connected the GR-55 via USB, until prompted to.

imall41

Quote from: Elantric on February 07, 2011, 06:41:43 AM
Determine if your XP Home OS has one of the service packs (SP1, SP2, SP3)

I think you may need at minimum SP2 version of XP.

Be sure, you have NOT connected the GR-55 via USB, until prompted to.
Service pack 3, and I turn unit on only when prompted.
But I do have the usb cable connected (with unit off) prior to prompt.
I'll do it again, without the cable connected, but should the GR be powered on, when I connect the usb cable? Or, connect cable when prompted, then power up?
Thanks.

Elantric

Do it this way:
connect USB cable when prompted, then power up.

kenact

Quote from: imall41 on February 07, 2011, 07:37:44 AM
Service pack 3, and I turn unit on only when prompted.
But I do have the usb cable connected (with unit off) prior to prompt.
I'll do it again, without the cable connected, but should the GR be powered on, when I connect the usb cable? Or, connect cable when prompted, then power up?
Thanks.

I had a similar problem. If you have an older pc, like I do, a USB connection may not work.  Instead, I was able to use a USB connected midi interface.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

kenact

I was able to lock up my unit by pressing the 2 & 3 buttons to enter the tuner and then pressing them together again (not the right way to exit the tuner).
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

kenact

Not technically a bug, but Roland claimed to have put all their synth knowledge into the GR-55, but they omitted the harmonizer and arpeggiator, which was available in the GR-33 and prior models.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Witelite

I reported one to Roland as well. It seems like for PCM 1 tone you can change octave but if you try to do to PCM 2 and then go to save it , it doesn't save the changes. You can get around by changing pitch for pcm2 to +12 but it shouldn't work this way.

ddlooping

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the report, Witelite. :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

pjmuck

Quote from: kenact on February 07, 2011, 10:58:42 AM
Not technically a bug, but Roland claimed to have put all their synth knowledge into the GR-55, but they omitted the harmonizer and arpeggiator, which was available in the GR-33 and prior models.

Woah! I knew about the lack of harmonizer, but no arpeggiator?! Not even on PCM sounds? I don't know how I missed this. I use mine all the time with my GR-33. This is a major bummer.  >:(
Live gear:

Boss GM-800
Boss GKC-AD
Boss Katana Artist 100
Fender Mustang GTX100
Roland GR-33
Liquid Foot Jr. midi foot controller
Boss EV-5
Godin LGX-SA guitar (lefty)
Line 6 Variax 500 guitar (lefty)
Carvin LB50 w GK3B

Vic1iful

Is there a arpeggiator in the vg-99?

Brent Flash

Elantric

On another list - Roland US Corp has confirmed this GR-55 "bug"

---
Problem with GR-55 Lead Preset 07-1 Concert Grand  - -Sound is intermittently triggered.

Roland US Corp replied: "We have been able to reproduce this anomaly, and have reported this to Roland Japan."

Guitarbot

Hopefully there is an easy fix to this:
I edited a patch on the gr-55 to have only my NORMAL PICKUP on and with no effects.  (Turned off the PCM 1&2 and MODEL.)  I want to use this dry pickup only signal to my Axe-fx ultra.  It works fine until I try to save the patch to user 1-1.  When it saves, it is turning off the NORMAL PICKUP & turning on the MODEL.  Any idea why?

Elantric

You may edit a USER Patch.

You may NOT Edit a factory Preset patch.

Be sure you are in the USER bank of patches, prior to editing.

Guitarbot

I was editing a patch then saving it to the user bank.  Not sure what was going on.  I just went to a different patch, set it up exactly as the 1st one & it saved properly.  I then went to the original one & can't get it to save properly.  Not sure why, but I have a patch saved as I want.

Elantric

Copy the patch to the User Bank first.
then make the edits.

gumtown

Quote from: Guitarbot on February 12, 2011, 06:07:39 AM
Hopefully there is an easy fix to this:
I edited a patch on the gr-55 to have only my NORMAL PICKUP on and with no effects.  (Turned off the PCM 1&2 and MODEL.)  I want to use this dry pickup only signal to my Axe-fx ultra.  It works fine until I try to save the patch to user 1-1.  When it saves, it is turning off the NORMAL PICKUP & turning on the MODEL.  Any idea why?
The very same thing happened to me when setting up analog only pactes.
The problem was resolved because of a CTL pedal setting which switched off the analog input when saved, check your pedal and assign settings, as these may have been set from the patch you used as a template.

sonnyv

i'm not sure why it is being said that you can't edit the presets? i edited Stolling Rones in the rhythm 12-2 preset position and simply saved it to the user 1-1 position

you can edit the presets, you just can't write over them

Guitarbot

sonnyv, I agree.  I knew my problem wasn't that simple.  I had already saved the preset to the user slot & then tried to edit & save, but it kept changing when I saved it.  I believe gumtown may have the answer.  I am at work & can't test right now.  I really appreciate the moderators & gumtown for all of their work.