VG-99 -Would you buy a used VG-99?

Started by supernicd, January 28, 2014, 08:47:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

I've been on the fence about acquiring a VG-99 for some time now.  Since Winter NAMM 2014 yielded no VG-100, I am looking at the possibility of picking up a used VG-99.  I have a GR-55 (and quite a few other modeling gizmos).  There are lots of threads comparing and contrasting the units on this site, I've read both manuals, etc.  So I wanted to ask a different question of you, taking my preferences and what I intend to use it for out of the equation.

If your VG-99 were to break beyond repair today [I already knocked on wood for you] and you had available budget to replace it with a used VG-99, would you do that?  Or would you spend your money on something else?  Why or why not?
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

shawnb

Yes, I'd replace it.  Widest palette, and my most convincing modeler. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

The VG-99 remains unique and unequaled and does things no other processor can. It remains a severely misunderstood product. I own two

Look for a gently used version for $650

Brent Flash

Yes, I would replace it. The VG-99 allows me to play songs and parts that I was never able to play before without great difficulty setting up to do so or just plain not possible with normal gear.

sixeight

alexmcginness

I already have a spare that I acquired when I bought my GR-55. Thanks to the tips on this forum and my own noodling I use it exclusively as my guitar amp live running it mostly thru the PA but also thru a pair of Mackie SRM 450s as my jamming amp.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

supernicd

Thanks for the answers.  Wow, that is actually pretty compelling.  So far, 100% of you [pre-qualified as those who have taken the time to understand the VG-99 and what it can do] are telling me if it broke, replacing it would be a priority.  And some of you have preemptively bought a backup.  Pretty impressive for 2009 technology!
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Elantric

papabuss

Quote from: Elantric on January 28, 2014, 09:17:45 AM
The VG-99 remains unique and unequaled and does things no other processor can. It remains a severely misunderstood product.
Agreed.
Only one word: Unreachable.
To find out all its possibilities it will take some time, months, years, perhaps decades?

P.S. Keep your last "Uniques". No more will be produced. ;)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Macciza

Absolutely would replace it,
Would certainly pick up a second if it came my way...
Would buy seconds of the original VG8 as well as it does some stuff none others do, even 99....
Cheers
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Antonuzzo

I'm going to buck the trend slightly!

If I could get one at a good price, I'd replace it. If not... I would stick with the VG-8. After owning and exploring the VG-99 for months, I still keep coming back to the VG-8; it seems to be a richer-sounding unit to my ears and the HRM options are more advanced than the VG-99.

Then again, I've had the VG-8 for 14 years and have tweaked all my patches to perfection.

If my VB-99 broke though, I would sell my children into slavery to replace it.

ericar123

I would never be without one unless a newer model comes out that does everything better. ;D

supernicd

Thanks again for all of your thoughts.  This pushed me off the fence (guess I was about to fall off anyway :) ).  I found a great deal on a used one at a GC location.  Ordered it up and it should be here in a few days.  I'm really excited, and think I'm going to like it. 

I actually enjoy the GR-55 a lot but what I've found in my actual "working" patches is that I rarely use PCM sounds (and those where I do they're more of a nice to have).  But when I'm creating patches I always wish the COSM section had more (more, movable FX slots, for example, the 55 is pretty limited, here).  So this seems like the logical next step for me.

Any thoughts on the FC-300?  Would you consider it a must have?  I mean, I know will require a foot controller, and my other choice would be to use something I already have (Boss GT for example).  My guess is that would be less functional and more pain to set up?
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Brent Flash

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 29, 2014, 09:25:23 AM
Any thoughts on the FC-300?  Would you consider it a must have?  I mean, I know will require a foot controller, and my other choice would be to use something I already have (Boss GT for example).  My guess is that would be less functional and more pain to set up?
Get the FC-300.

supernicd

Thought that might be what you'd say but had to ask.  Ok, will do.  Thanks!
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Athelstan12

Can I be tail-end  Charlie here,and put in my ten-cents worth?...I wouldn't ever be without my VG-99,-unless someone brought out a superior version,but if they did,I probably wouldn't be able to afford it.

supernicd

Please do be tail-end Charlie.  Even though I already made my decision, I know that I refer to previous posts on this forum all the time, and I'm sure others do too.  For me, the response on this makes a pretty compelling statement about what VG-99 owners who understand their gear think of it.  Seven years after it came out, and even though it's discontinued,  it's still at the top of their gear lists!
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

aliensporebomb

OK check this then:

http://www.soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb

Listen to all of the patches marked VG-99 Demo starting with "Coda".

All of that is VG-99 without any external processing.  The VG-99 has an incredibly wide tonal palette from the smoothest synth type sound to coarse grainy gruff distortion to smooth singing distortion to fat thick analog-ish synthy sounds to surfy reverby guitar to sounds that defy description.  Including a ship horn.   I've
even done convincing PPG type synth sounds (early digital).  I've never found a device with a wider tonal palette.

It's a testament to the VG-99 and the quality of sounds therein that I was able to get a gig scoring a soundtrack last year.

I added it up and to be able to replace the VG-99 with non VG-99 equipment would cost me far more than the price of a VG-99 + GK3 + FC-300 - probably $7000-$10,000. 

I'm pretty sure an AxeFX could do some, but not all of what the 99 can do.  Some of the tricks I do use the polyphonic pitch shifter extensively and I've priced out H3000/4000/7600/8000 Harmonizers on Ebay and they go anywhere from $2000 to $8000 depending.  And that's just for pitch shifting. 

What's more, owning the VG-99 has made me a better musician because I'm thinking more orchestrally and more like "all of the pieces of a band or orchestra" rather than just "me and my guitar".  It's truly a life enhancing device in many ways because it's let me grow as a musician.

So I'm not sure I can put a price on that.  If I had never gotten it I might have grown some as a musician but I'm so much better at mixing sound now just because of the way the VG-99 works.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

supernicd

That's quite an impressive demo!  Definitely full of a gambit of sounds (and nicely played too I might add).  And I'm only partway through.  Will pick back up on it a bit later.  Thanks for sharing :).
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

datsunrobbie

add another vote for the FC300. I tried a Behringer FCB1010 with my VG-99 and got some stuff to work, but the FC300 is designed to work with the VG-99 and does a fantastic job of it. It should also be mentioned that it can operate on batteries, weighs just over 11 pounds, and is built like a tank.

supernicd

I kind of figured this would be the response to that question.  Kind of like asking "should I order that luxury sedan without power windows, brakes and air conditioning, or should I just go ahead and get those too?" ;)

Quote from: datsunrobbie on January 29, 2014, 02:53:56 PM
It should also be mentioned that it can operate on batteries...

From reading the reference board on this site, I was kind of under the impression that the VG-99 powered the FC-300 via the connection cable?  Did I mis-read something?  Does it require external power or batteries when used with the 99?
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Brent Flash

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 29, 2014, 03:41:55 PM
Does it require external power or batteries when used with the 99?
The VG-99 powers it. They are made for each other.  :)

supernicd

Ah, thanks, guess the batteries are for using it with something other than a VG-99, or does it have some kind of volatile memory bank?
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Brent Flash

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 29, 2014, 04:14:09 PM
Ah, thanks, guess the batteries are for using it with something other than a VG-99, or does it have some kind of volatile memory bank?
It has no bad habits, just loaded with features.

Elantric

Buying a VG99 without the FC300 is like buying a bass fishing boat without the trailer.