VG-99 for Violin

Started by ismetaslan, December 24, 2013, 08:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ismetaslan

Hello guys,

I'm planning to buy a Cantini v-jazz violin with GK out, and GR-55 or VG-99. I got few questions,

the first and most important reason for this wishlist is to get violin section effect, is that possible? ( i can even use softwares to create this sample-patch)

can I write my own samples? or can I use any samples from Korg or Roland Keyboards?

Also I have no idea about touch sensivity, for example when I play without power, does the sound change? or whatever I play I get the same sound with same sound level?

Do I need any other pedals for other effects such as reverb, delay? and Does VG-99 includes GR-55? what is not coming with gr-55 and vg-99.

Thank you for your answers

Elantric

Quotecan I write my own samples? or can I use any samples from Korg or Roland Keyboards?

No,

Suggest start reading GR-55 Top things to know which covers GR-55 operations and features.
GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

aliensporebomb

The other thought is:

A VG-99 is a hexaphonic guitar processor.
A GR-55 is a polyhonic guitar synthesizer.

Subtle distinction. 

Are you wishing to control the actual violin to trigger synthesizer sounds or wishing to process the sounds of your violin strings so that it sounds more like a synthesizer and beyond?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

ismetaslan

Thank your for your explanation, it's really helpful!

if I believe that I can change or create the samples which is good for me, ( mean, more like violin section, or the sounds in Arranger Keyboards) , so the synthesizer is good,

What about touch sensivity? like keyboards, slow and thin touches changes the sound?

I mean when I play orchestral sounds with my BK5 keyboard, slow touches gives me just flute and little violin, but when I touch hard, drums and brasses come,

I want to be sure GR-55 provides me same thing.

Elantric

I'm sure you will find sounds on GR-55 that can work for you  - or edit to create a sound you prefer.

QuoteI believe that I can change or create the samples which is good for me, ( mean, more like violin section, or the sounds in Arranger Keyboards) , so the synthesizer is good,

The GR-55 is NOT a sampler, you can create a user patch using a tone palette of 910 different PCM samples all listed here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3060.0

Suggest start reading GR-55 Top things to know which covers GR-55 operations and features.
GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

Here is a demo of ALL GR-55 presets - played out of tune courtesy of  Darren Lock

ismetaslan

I am reading GR-55 top things forum for 2 weeks, but I found nothing about touch sensivity.  ???

GR-55 is not a sampler, does it mean slow touches and hard touches do not change the sound, even volume.. it is what I am looking for.. :'(

shawnb

Quote from: ismetaslan on December 24, 2013, 01:11:48 PMif I believe that I can change or create the samples which is good for me, ( mean, more like violin section, or the sounds in Arranger Keyboards) , so the synthesizer is good,
Neither the VG-99 nor the GR-55 allow you to create samples.  They provide a LOT of processing FX, that come close to the same thing. 

Both would let you do some crazy enhanced violin sounds, but in different ways. 

The VG-99 provides two COSM engines that allow you to model guitars & amps and apply plenty of advanced FX including some polyFX, where the FX are applied to each of the strings separately.  The VG-99 is an extremely powerful tool for processing the tones that are input, but it has no PCM tone generator. 

Where the VG-99 is deep in capability, the GR-55 is broad. 

The GR-55 provides only one COSM engine, and has a narrower set of FX and models, e.g., there are no poly FX.  However, it provides TWO PCM tone (synthesizer) engines, and you can also process your initial signal as well.  The GR-55 allows you to mix & match & process these 4 sources of sound, which makes it a unique & extremely flexible tool. 

Both devices let you send MIDI output to drive other gear, such as soft synthesizers.  The GR-55's MIDI conversion is better than the VG-99's, but still not perfect. 

Quote from: ismetaslan on December 24, 2013, 01:11:48 PMWhat about touch sensivity? like keyboards, slow and thin touches changes the sound?   I mean when I play orchestral sounds with my BK5 keyboard, slow touches gives me just flute and little violin, but when I touch hard, drums and brasses come, I  want to be sure GR-55 provides me same thing.
The GR-55 does in fact provide pressure sensitive PCM tones, and of course, you can edit & enhance those. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

QuoteI am reading GR-55 top things forum for 2 weeks, but I found nothing about touch sensivity. 

The GR-55 Top Things to Know thread contains numerous URL links to important GR-55 docs and  / or threads worth reading

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18