the Lameness of Piano Patches for Guitar Synth

Started by Rhcole, April 01, 2014, 06:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Now_And_Then

Here's the conclusions which I've reached after experimenting with hardware and software samplers and romplers for quite some time now:

Parts for monophonic instruments such as sax, brass, winds, can be very effectively played via guitar.

Parts for polyphonic instruments such as pianos, electric pianos, organs, and keys are generally kind of hopeless and sad except when done by very technically-proficient players.

Parts for tuned percussion and similar, such as kalimba, vibes, glockenspiel, xylophone, tubular or tuned bells or even steel drums if you have a worthwhile patch, are a kind of middle case that can very often work out quite well without requiring outstanding technical proficiency.

Of course, your conclusions might differ...

swarfrat

Cool beans. I've been wanting to do horns, but not just "horn patch #23" but actual transcribed (and composed) section parts, ie,
"The bari sax plays this" <record>
"The 1st trombone plays this" <record>
I'd also rather record and do takes until I get it than I would to go edit blobs on a piano roll with a mouse.

I've also been looking at this because
1) I'm an ok guitar player. I suck at keyboards.
2) Any time spent learning to play the parts goes into the "guitar skill bucket" rather than becoming a "halfway less sucky keyboard player"
3) Keyboard is already not bari sax, trombone, tenor sax, trumpet. It shouldn't suck any more to play it on a guitar than it does on a keyboard. In a lot of ways you have more, if slightly different types of control over notes on guitar that are still kinda foreign and poorly emulated on keyboard.
4) I'm actually wanting to integrate horns into hard rock tunes that typically have two (or more) guitar players, replacing the 2nd guitar player with horns. Guitarisms might not be that foreign to this concept.