VG-99 - I miss my VG-8

Started by Elantric, February 10, 2008, 07:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

<Hippietim wrote>
QuoteI had hoped that the VG-99 would actually be a superset of the past VG systems this time. Once again Roland missed delivering on a key thing that attracted a lot of us to V-Guitar to begin with.

I wish I didn't sell my VG-8 and the US-20. D'oh!

I think I'm going to snag another one soon...

I'm fortunate I still own all three (no wife who forced me to sell them)

The HRM and Dual Modes are fantastic on the VG-8. Plus the Autotune is wonderful live at gigs

Its a keeper!

<Surdaas wrote>
For those with a wife and each generation of VG, help me find a reason to keep a VG-88 V2. The 99's nylon model has errors apparently but I don't hear any problem. I will never part with the VG-8 since the HRM has yet to be surpassed.

Hmm - well VG-88 V2 also has very good MIDI implementation, the VG-88 V-Editor for Windows, Gretsch Filtertron PU, and . . .

Perhaps the Gretsch Filtertron may be added to VG-99 in the next firmware update?

Its true - The VG-8 is a keeper.

<Frank wrote>
Quotelet's not forget the VIO model (amazing for pads) and the pitch shifter with it's glide function.
I was very fortunate to get another VG-8EX for literally next to nothing, so now I have 2 running alongside one another. There are few moments when the advancements in technology versus price drops/redunancy yield positive results, this was one of them though. Very Happy

<dead_lizard wrote>

QuoteIt's getting to be a real nostalgia item now isn't it?
How old is it now?
It must be kind of like owning a Super Nintendo in the age of PS3s.
I can totally see where you're coming from even though I never played an 8.

Sometimes you just feel like a quick game of Super Mario!!!

You owe it to yourself to play through a VG-8EX.

Get em on Ebay for $200

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-VG8-VG-8-Guitar-Modeling-System-Clean-Tested_W0QQitemZ170184740750QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41419QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a renaissance going on for them - as several of us have grown to appreciate its Polyglide HRM and VIO models, Autotune, and several other "missing" features the newest versions lack

Recall that this box cost over $2500 when new. I might grab a spare one myself at the going Ebay rate!

http://www.synthony.com/vintage/vg8.html

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Roland/VG-8EX/10/1

<Piing wrote>

QuoteI love my VG8 !! I love the synthetic sounds and the hexaphonic pitch-shifts. Very Happy I still haven't heard nothing like that.

I sold the VG88 few days after I bought it (fortunately I could cancel my ebay auction for the VG8 on time) Cool and after reading the reviews about the VG99 I'm not going to buy it (I've already got the AX100 Mk-II for midi conversion, Fantom XR for tone generator and Axe-FX for amp sims, so there's nothing I need at the VG-99)