Using xy style touchpad like pedal

Started by Sirkreuab, July 21, 2014, 11:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirkreuab

Musings in other posts lead me to ask
If I have a touchscreen xy pad with a hold button and range of 0-127
Is it possible to change setup of patches somehow in the gr55 so that you can change effect parameters with the pad?     Like say suddenly ls sweeping up more or less reverb or delay or modulation ? I thought the whole point of a pad was the cc range but as I understand it you have to make settings listen to a specific cc number !

Is their a setting that makes it a range like with the pedal or something else I can do to eat this up ?
Wanna play with the xy pad don't know how to test it on this unit

mbenigni

I'm not 100% clear as to what you're asking, but I believe the answer is "yes".

The simplest approach would be to determine the CC numbers and ranges being sent by X and Y, respectively.  (If there's a third parameter being sent for touch/hold, you want to identify that as well.)  Taking these to be constant, program "Assigns" in the GR55 specifying those CC numbers, and a target and range for each, e.g. reverb for X's CC, delay for Y's CC, and on and on and on.  Almost any parameter in the GR55 can be targeted, and these Assigns are independently programmed on a per-patch basis.

Sirkreuab

Fair enough I just thought the gr 55 couldn't do a range only what you set the cc assign
So say something with delay set to cc 55 a midi controller set to cc 55 could control delay I don't really understand how that would work

Basically simplest explanation of what I am looking for is a way to use an effect say delay and add more or less effect via the xy pad which I assume you'd have to set the gr to be looking for a range say cc55-75 on the pad but I didn't think that could be done
(Wanted to use the pad to control mfx effects instead of the on board pedal )

I know the pedal had a switch for on/off or momentary
I was just curious if I was thinking about it all wrong because I know next to nothing about midi yet lol thanks for the help though guess ill tinker a bit and ifni find any useful info for settings Ill let the forum

know for others who are curious

mbenigni

Hey, Sirkreuab.

I still don't see anything in your post that wouldn't be possible with the GR55 and an XY pad that sends MIDI CC's.  I do the very same thing, albeit with an iPad app that sends MIDI CC's from on-screen XY pads.

But it does look like you might be confusing CC# with CC value ranges.  You would use a particular CC# (e.g. 55, or 3, or any other constant integer) to target your GR55 parameter, then in the GR55 specify what range the XY pad will send (typically 0-127), then specify the range of values you want the target parameter to respond with (e.g. a delay level of 55-75.)

You would do all of this in the Assigns page.  Assign needs to be turned on, target set appropriately, cc number set to match the axis on the XY pad, input range set (probably 0-127 per the devices behavior), preferred parameter range (set to taste)... and you're off.

Trial and error is your friend.  Dig in!

Sirkreuab

Thanks yes your exactly right I was confusing that. I'm gonna sit down and figure  it out thanks for helping me understand :)

mbenigni

Keep us posted on your progress, and remember: the manual is your friend if you need clarification on the different Assign page settings.  But I'll be happy to field any specific questions that arise.