how to open GK-13 pin plug

Started by Spider, March 27, 2011, 12:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spider

Sorry but I have a stupid question... How to open 13-pin plug installed on original Roland / Yamaha cable? I must solder one wire but I have no idea hot to do that without breaking the plug.

paults

Those molded plugs are not designed to be opened.  Get a plug from eBay, Mouser, etc and fire up the soldering pencil. 

gumtown

the only way to get into the wiring will be to slice open the side of the cable, and splice into the wiring from there.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

A while ago I bought a few 13-pin plugs from an eBay supplier that were basically indentical to the ones on the ends of the (genuine) Roland leads that I have...  this gave me the opportunity to examine all the plug components individually and work out how they all go together.

These plugs have on their side (at 180 degrees to the 'release' button) a molded tab that faces towards the cable end of the plug.

If you gently (!) lever the leading edge of this up with something like a flat-bladed jewellers screwdriver or similar, you will find that you can at the same time slide the plastic 'outer' & the cable grommet up the cable, away from the two metal parts that form the 'casing'....doing this will cause the components of the release mechanism to fall out (easy to replace if you take careful note of how they go together in the first place)...

Once the two parts of the casing are clear of the plastic outer, you can separate these to gain access to the soldered connections of the conductors in the cable to the back of the pins.

Re-assembly is just a reversal of the above, given that there is a bit of $%&*$#ing around to get the release mechanism to line up as you gently (again!!) push everything back together.

For an old cable where perhaps the components have become stuck together over time, it's probably worth first doing a bit of gentle prying around the outer and grommet, where these contact the other parts...a light spray of silicone lubricant can also help at this stage.    8)

HTH

Gumbo in Oz
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...