On-board "Exp. Pedal" and "Control 3/4"?

Started by dayn, July 31, 2010, 12:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dayn

On/off/on momentary switch for C. 3/4 and volume pot for exp. pedal, both installed in guitar and each going to its own 1/4" jack?

Possible?

I could basically replace my FC-300 functions and have them on the instrument!

vanceg

Yes, you'd need two stereo cables (one for volume, one for the two control switches - or in your case the On/Off/On momentary.  Then just route that signal into the 1/4" in's on the back of the VG-99.

Vance

TheGuitarPlayer

I agree that this is totally possible.  That being said, make sure you know what you're getting.  The whole point of floor controls is to give control of the unit that doesn't require the use of your hands.  If you put them on the guitar, you'll need to use your hands.  For me, I'd see this as a pretty big disadvantage.

Macciza

Yeah Its not too hard
I have the ctl 3 switch in the front pickup surround below the strings and the ctl 4 experimentally on the rear pickup above the strings as a palm switch Also sw1 /2 duplicated on rear p/u guard below strings .
And the Exp Ped as a second assignable knob on guitar below main assignable vol knob
And also have the ribbon controller below and parallel to the strings

Having stuff under the hands is really good in lots of situations

Sometimes the expped is just a tone control for guitar ; or a distortion/ sustain control, or a/b blend, fx control etc
Today I had the main knob doing pitch shift as well the fc ped 1 and the ribbon doing whammy dives whilst ctl3 switched parameters up and down
With the dbeam then doing octave down using guitar neck it all got a bit crazy

So I say go for it
See my pics https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=328.msg14222;topicseen#msg14222
Good Luck
MM

'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

fokof

Quote from: vanceg on July 31, 2010, 03:38:43 PM
Yes, you'd need two stereo cables

A MIDI cable/plug would do (Using the shield )

dayn

Yeah, I like the midi cable idea.

For the exp. control, does there exist a spring loaded type of switch or pot? I plan on using it for pedal steel pitch bending and I think this would be more effective than an on-board volume pot.

Whether volume pot or spring loaded "something", as well as the momentary switch, how do I wire them up on the switch/pot side and the midi cable side? Anyone have pics, schematic, or explanation? I can drill and solder, but am not an EE.

dayn

As I won't be using 2 pins for pickup elements (uke has 4 strings, not 6), and won't be sending my magnetic pickup signal into the 13-pin, can I use these 3 unused pins for control 3/4 and exp. pedal? How would I access them?

Macciza

You will need to open up the plugs and break th wires out that way - add extra plugs on unit end to plug into the back. At guitar just access socket and rewire to switches from there.
Cheers
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

Macciza

Hmmm might get one of those as well - could do a bit with that added to the rest of my gear . . .
Cheers

dayn

5-pin midi -> to -> (2) stereo 1/4" outs

Does such a cable exist or will I have to make it?

I want to control the Roland VG-99's CTl 3, 4 and the EXP pedal functions from my instrument. I want to place momentary switch and a volume pot on my instrument and wire them to a 4, 5, or 7 pin Midi cable, but then they need to have (2) stereo TRS 1/4" plugs on the end.

Macciza

Hi
No - I made my own cable. 8pin mini din jack and sockets from Jaycar (electronics store)  and computer cabling. I put plugs on both ends of cable, socket on guitar and socket on little box that then breaks out to the plugs and stuff. ie plug > cable > plug >socket(in box) >cables >plugs .This lets me use the cable in different setups and gives greater hackability.

Having done that I quickly maxed out my cable and realised I needed more ? Planning to move to std 13 pin soon so I can add DBeam etc, and will probably then realise I should have gone 25 pin or something but that can wait . . .

Cheers

fokof

Quote from: dayn on October 08, 2010, 11:56:54 AM
5-pin midi -> to -> (2) stereo 1/4" outs

Does such a cable exist or will I have to make it?

I want to control the Roland VG-99's CTl 3, 4 and the EXP pedal functions from my instrument. I want to place momentary switch and a volume pot on my instrument and wire them to a 4, 5, or 7 pin Midi cable, but then they need to have (2) stereo TRS 1/4" plugs on the end.

You can get a little plastic (ABS) box , cut the holes , and add the connectors.
Or get a connector like  this ;
http://www.markertek.com/Cables-Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Cables/MIDI-Cables-and-Connectors/TecNec-Panels-Wall-Plates/DD55F.xhtml?DD55F
then wire your three conectors to it. (at the VG end )

dayn

Allright...

I have the 5-pin midi cable with 5-pin plug on one end to go to instrument and (2) 1/4" stereo plugs on the other end to go to the CTL3/4 sand EXP pedal input jacks on the VG-99.

I have the 5-pin midi jack on the instrument.

I have the momentary switch and 10k pot installed in the instrument where I want them.

Now, I am hoping someone can help with which wires go where. On the momentary switch, I assume that the ground (shield) goes to the middle lug with the two signal wires going on either side lugs. On the 10k pot I'm not sure. I opened up an EV-5 and the two wires were on the two right lugs with a wire from the left lug going to another pot (50k) that was grounded. Where I am just using a 10k pot with no other adjustment pot, do I just put the ground wire (shield) on that left lug?

Any help in which wires goes where is appreciated! Once I have it done I promise great pics and a video to show it off!

Macciza

Hi
Yeah what you wrote sounds right, earth on one side , wiper then other end.
Did a quick search and found this http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=35668.0
Easier than explaining. If pot rotation is wrong reverse A & B.

Momentaries run an 'earth' to one side of both switches which connects to the sleeve on plug like the pot
For the switches I think 3 will be the tip and 4 the ring on the plug.

So it is just a matter of lining them all up via your intervening cable then your done . . . enjoy.

Hm I guess I should get around to a vid or something soon . . .
Cheers
MM

dayn

I just finished wiring it up, and IT WORKS!!!! THanks for everyone who gave me ideas, advice, and tech support.

I am elated. I just finished wiring up a 4 string electric tenor ukulele with GK-3, volume, s1/2, onboard exp. pedal, and ctrl 3/4! I can do a lot from my VG-99 with this little guy! I will try to take some pics this weekend.

Vic1iful

ddlooping

Diaz Guitars (work in progress)