GR55 - Control the transport functions in Garageband and/or Logic?

Started by paganskins, August 21, 2012, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paganskins

I've had a quick google and can't find an answer to the above.

Using assigns and USB midi can I control the transport functions (ie play, record etc) in garageband or perhaps logic?

Thanks

Mrchevy

I do not believe this is possible as the GR55 player is basically just that, a WAV. player with basic control ( start, stop, scroll, functions ). It is not controllable as a foot pedal but I use the Tranzport DAW Controller by Frontier for my DAW. It's wireless ( keep it right by your side anywhere in the studio), small ( about 8" square), and works flawlessly. I love it. www.frontierdesign.com/Products/TranzPort Gives you all control and editing functions regardless of where you are as long as your in range.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

gumtown

Hmmm i answered exactly the same question at GT Central for a GT-10, was that you?
The assigns work only on internal recieved controls, the GR-55 will only send patch change and continuos controller data (cc#).

Once long ago in another life time, i used to use CakeWalk/computer (win95) + a Roland D10 keyboard, using the right side keys as transport controls to play sequences and samples during live performances. That used Cakewalk.Application.Language. programming (which they have now removed unfortunately) to define certain notes to transport controls and file loading.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

shawnb

Quote from: gumtown on August 21, 2012, 01:33:29 PMThat used Cakewalk.Application.Language. programming (which they have now removed unfortunately)

BTW...  For us old CAL junkies on the planet...  (Both of us...)   X1 still supports CAL!   I actually have a couple of sequence-generating scripts that I use sometimes.   They keep trying to kill it, but it ain't dead yet! 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

jburns

assuming the gr55 can send cc messages:
you can use third party software to do such things with cc's. i use OSCulator. its only 20 bucks and works wonderfully. in my case i use it to totally mute or unmute the computer and raise/lower volume on knobs or select au patches. theres a bunch of software like this (if you don't like this one) tho if you search the site.

http://www.osculator.net/forum/threads/1757-how-to-assign-play-stop-and-record-in-OSCulator-connected-to-LOGIC?highlight=logic+transport