Godin XTSA

Started by kennisrussell, May 17, 2011, 02:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

I'll get my 2016 xtSA Koa within a few days....interesting to see how it's doing volume things.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Autana

Quote from: Elantric on February 27, 2016, 02:41:49 PM

FWIW - thats NOT how my 2012 Godin LGX-SA or xtSA works

I do know that older Godin LGX-SA / LGXT / xtSA's   have different control operation

I'm testing this now with my 2012 Godin xtSA with latest RMC Polydrive electronics feeding a GP-10 with one GK-13 cable
(*  the xtSA'a 1/4" outputs are not connected to anything)   

1 )  Use GP-10 factory preset #81 [ Gt Clean 1 ]

2 ) Set all Volume Controls on Godin xtSA to "off" (zero)

3 ) I confirm there is no interaction of:

* Volume control for Piezo Out

* Volume control for Mag PU  Out

I can turn Volume control for Mag PU full counter clockwise (Off) , and mute the mag PUs.
Then slide up the Piezo Volume Slider and hear only Piezo PU tone on headphones connected to the GP-10 

OR

I can slide the Piezo Volume Slider down to the "Off" position , and mute the Piezo PU .
Then turn Volume control for Mag PU full clockwise "on" and hear only Mag PU tone on headphones connected to the GP-10 

OR

I can "mix" the sound of both Mag PU's and Piezo using each volume control

For an analogy - It operates like a Fender Jazz Bass Neck PU Volume Control  vs Bridge PU Volume Control where you can always mix the pickups you want,  and not like a Gibson LP where if either vol control is set to zero - no sound occurs.  )

I can confirm it work exactly the same in my xtSA 2008. Also, when normal guitar out jack is used, audio from Mag PU's is not sent from 13 pin out connector. As opposed when MIX out jack is used, both signals, mag pu's and piezo, still unaltered through 13 pin.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

ratbastid

Hm. I'm going to contact Godin about this. Do we know how to do that? Any advice? I bought it from a reseller through Amazon.

Do your guitars have lots of body noise coming through the signal, too? My bandmate's LGXT doesn't, but when mine has piezos on, it can hear me tapping my fingers on the body. Also the mag pickup level seems kind of low, although I didn't really do the work to isolate all the possible variables about that.

Had my first band practice with the new xtSA today. Even with these oddities, it was very very nice. A big upgrade from the 20 year old pawnshop axe I've been playing.

Nighrnoir

hi, i have a question, the Primova GKFX-21 it acts in the same way? It solves the same problems ? You should take RMC OPT or PRIMOVA ? or they are equal? Thx

ratbastid

Quick update--I contacted Guitar Vault, the reseller I bought the xtSA from through Amazon. They contacted Godin directly, and in consultation with their in-house guitar tech, diagnosed it with faulty wiring. The first one is going back today, and my replacement order should be here Thursday.

Never heard directly from Godin from my email to them, but the responsiveness and service from Guitar Vault (who prior to now I had no relationship with at all) was stellar. A+++ would buy faulty guitar from again.

Autana

Quote from: Nighrnoir on March 01, 2016, 03:45:31 AM
hi, i have a question, the Primova GKFX-21 it acts in the same way? It solves the same problems ? You should take RMC OPT or PRIMOVA ? or they are equal? Thx

Yes, these two and other similar devices basically solve the problem based on the same principle, a high pass filter to remove rumbles and others low frequencies and subsonic noise. Filter remove frequencies specific to each string. This course aims to improve tracking, false and ghost notes and low vibration when palm mute.  For more information:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3965.msg26797#msg26797

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15681.msg111915#msg111915

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.msg21120#msg21120

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9692.msg69566#msg69566
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

QuoteQuick update--I contacted Guitar Vault, the reseller I bought the xtSA from through Amazon. They contacted Godin directly, and in consultation with their in-house guitar tech, diagnosed it with faulty wiring. The first one is going back today, and my replacement order should be here Thursday.

Never heard directly from Godin from my email to them, but the responsiveness and service from Guitar Vault (who prior to now I had no relationship with at all) was stellar. A+++ would buy faulty guitar from again.

Glad you got a solution.
I ran into similar experience  with Godin  - a few do leave the factory mis-wired.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5838.0

and then Godin Customer support was sluggish to respond to contact email.

The Godin Guitar Company
19420 Avenue Clark-Graham
Baie-D'Urfe Quebec Canada
      H9X 3R8

Tel (514) 457-7977 ext.135
Fax (514) 457-5774

info@godinguitars.com
http://www.godinguitars.com/

CodeSmart

I received my xtSA Koa yesterday, played to 02:30 last night.
It's certainly a great sounding guitar and great to play and also I like the neck.

Just needed some very minor adjustments as it was pretty good setup from factory.
Regarding synth access it took some time to nail workable tracking on the GR-55 Piano patches using very different settings compared to GK-3.

Elantric

QuoteRegarding synth access it took some time to nail workable tracking on the GR-55 Piano patches using very different settings compared to GK-3.

Agreed - start here
====
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3912.msg53452#msg53452

On both my xTSA'a - the COSM Modleling sounds most excellent .

This is AFTER I follow Jim Williams Piezo Setup.

--
In System, Set the GK PU type to:
PU type ;  PIEZO R
Scale :  ST
PU phase : NORMAL
PU direction : NORMAL
S1/S2 position : NORMAL
NORM PU gain : 0 dB
PIEZO TONE  LOW  :    -2
PIEZO TONE HIGH  :   +3

"DIS"
10.0 mm all strings (does not matter GR-55 ignores this for all Piezo PU selections)

"SEN"
Set the sensitivities for all strings to "50" average (+/-5  - that is all my strings have sensitivity set in the range between 45-55 .
(Note: Godin's older than 2012, might work better with Sensitivity set to "0")

"VEL"
Velocity Dynamics :  2
Play-Feel         :  2 (may vary depending on how you play synth tones)
Low-Velocity Cut  :  8-9

"NUA"
Nuance Dynamics   :  4
Nuance Trim       :  4

"DOW"
Shift   :   0
===============

CodeSmart

Quote from: Elantric on March 03, 2016, 09:54:34 AM
Agreed - start here

Thanks Elantric,
I don't do much COSM in GR-55 because I have a GP-10 for that, and with the sole objective of getting best MIDI tracking for Piano (which I think is the most difficult one) I concluded to another setting.
I ended up with this:

1. Set SENS to 0 for all strings.
2. Set VEL=4, Play Feel=2 Low Vel Cut=8
3. Set NUA=9, TRIM=10

Then go back to SENS page and IMPORTANT:
5. For each string: Play fast quads with fingers on same string  thumb-ring-long-index (or whatever) and increase SENS until you can feel that the dynamics is right for that string with the touch of your fingers.
When you play soft the piano key should trigger and respond soft and smooth and if hit comfortable harder you get the sharper piano hammer-on sound.

Repeat this procedure for all strings.

In my case I ended up with this setting starting from top: SENS=27,19,9,16,13,9   

Tonight I used the new guitar with our 'Classic Rock' band and I think it worked fine, virtually tracking as good as my GK3 guitars.
I'm going to raise the strings a bit as they are very low set and this will improve further.

I just tried and compared with Your/Jim's proposed setup and for my personal rather aggressive pick playing style and 'Piano' triggering objective, it felt way to sensitive.

I'm not saying it's the best setup, however right now it works ok for me. Learning stuff all the time 8)

And boy, the guitar is great, this will most probably be my main guitar. And no weight problem either, had it on standing for 3+ hours, no problems.

Elantric

Just reposting a link to showcase what the Godin xtSA and Boss GP-10 can do in capable experienced hands.

Autana's GP-10 - Nylon Real Acoustic Collection
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17683.0

47Flyer

Hello Folks,

A bit off topic but this does concern my Godin Xtsa.  Last week I bumped heads with our bass player which resulted in a shattered tuner button on my Godin xtsa.  Any ideas on where I can get a replacement ebony button that fits exactly.  I can't believe that Godin doesn't have a readily available parts department for such things.  Any help is appreciated.

admin

Contact Godin with a request to purchase a new Tuner

The Godin Guitar Company
19420 Avenue Clark-Graham
Baie-D'Urfe Quebec Canada
      H9X 3R8

Tel (514) 457-7977 ext.135
Fax (514) 457-5774

info@godinguitars.com
http://www.godinguitars.com/

47Flyer

A correction and an apology to Godin Guitars.  I got an email from Michel at Godin.  He explained that I could purchase the tuner buttons that I needed from the Godin store online.  I had looked at the Godin site a million times and never seen that they do indeed sell some parts.  Stupid me.  Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

kenact

Quote from: 47Flyer on July 19, 2016, 05:37:06 AM
A correction and an apology to Godin Guitars.  I got an email from Michel at Godin.  He explained that I could purchase the tuner buttons that I needed from the Godin store online.  I had looked at the Godin site a million times and never seen that they do indeed sell some parts.  Stupid me.  Sorry for wasting everyone's time.

I've dealt with Michel before, great customer service.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

CodeSmart

The bottom/thinnest E string on my half year old xTSA Koa is really thin and weak in sound. The piezo is not dead but the output level is lower and the sound is very thin without midrange body.

Sometimes it's worse and sometimes a little but better.

This of course also affect synth triggering.
042-009

What can it be? Something simple I can do or should I contact Godin?

Elantric

Verify the piezo saddle is sitting upright and perpendicular (right angle) from the Bridge base.

These saddles can go wonky if the bottom of the piezo saddle gets damp or if any moisture (high humidity, damp palms, etc. ) conditions are present near the bridge.

Ive used a hair dryer, aim it at the RMC piezo saddles for 10 minutes  to dry them out and that restored full operation

CodeSmart

Are each saddle grounded using a two wire connection, or are they commonly grounded via the 'bridge' they are seated in?

Elantric

In the xtSA  - each brass colored RMC  piezo saddle is sitting in a modified wilkinson strat bridge saddle and the bottom of the this bridge saddle is where the coaxial cable connection is soldered to the RMC piezo saddle 

more info here:

Godin xtSA with broken piezo saddle
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12199.0

CodeSmart

So it's reasonable to say that when knockin on each pickup with the plectrum the output magnitude (knockin level) should be about the same on all pickups. If not and they visually reside/align ok in their saddle a possible problem can be a grounding issue.

Use contact spray?

Considering this is almost a new guitar, what are the less probable causes, if it's not bad contact?

Elantric

Piezo saddles can fail prematurely - typically occurs after a sharp blow to the top of the saddle -or moisture sets in.

I would contact the Godin distributor, and this thread provides all RMC contact details and sources for replacements
Godin xtSA with broken piezo saddle
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12199.0

consult here for local RMC Pickups dealer
http://www.rmcpickup.com/authorized_installers.htm

Van Schooneveld Gitaren   
Huub   31-73-503-5350   31-73-503-5349
Berlicum   NETHERLANDS
info@vanschooneveldgitaren.nl   

CodeSmart

From Michel at Godin:
=================
You should try the following :

-change the 9V battery
-remove the strings, pull out the defective piezo saddle and gently twist the cable
-clean the piezo saddles with isopropyl alcohol
-spray contact cleaner on the preamp and the output assembly's circuit boards

If the problem persists, please return your guitar to the dealer where it was purchased for warranty work.

I'll do my best...
(actually the string worked a couple of hours this afternoon and then it gave up gain)

sixeight

Sounds like you have similar problems like I had with Godin guitars.  I have very sweaty palms when playing guitar.  I cleaned the saddles many times, but the problem of weaker strings always came back. I should have replaced the saddles, but I was fed up with the guitar,  so I sold it.  Hope you have a better experience...

CodeSmart

To follow up on this.
I managed to get the Piezo working great again. I simply added some slack to the tiny cables (by cutting a strap in the cavity) so they now go in a smooth S-shape towards the Piezo bridge. It seems like tension/stress in the cables caused my problem. It sounds great again  :D

Elantric

Exclent hews

thanks for posting the "fix" info