Any Carvin users? Looking for real opinions from experienced owners

Started by A914Man, July 27, 2016, 08:49:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A914Man

Any Carvin users?  Looking for real opinions from experienced owners.  Pros?  Cons?  How does it work with a GR-55??
After only 37 years, I'm almost as good as I thought I was when I was 21

hading

I have three Carvin guitars and a bass, so it's safe to say that I like their instruments.

I don't have any experience with their built in 13-pin electronics though. I do have two Carvin guitars (DC-127 and HH2) with GK-3 pickups. That works fine for me.

Elantric

last check - all Carvin 13 pin system guitars  use the Graphtech Piezo Ghost system

Read about those here:

Graphtech Piezo Ghost
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=498.0

Piezo hex vs GK-3
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6273.0

mordecai

I really like my CT4 as a player, pickups were ok but swapped them out for something different. Make sure you buy post 2008 if you are wanting to be able to swap mag pickups(older humbucker models had smaller routes and you can't put normal sized covered pickups in them). Mine isn't 13 pin but overall I like the guitar very much.

stratrat

One of my two main instruments is a Carvin NS-1 nylon. Well built, good quality components and good looking. Plus they let me choose the top wood. Carvin generally are great - a nice balance between affordability and custom options.

There are a few things I've changed (ebony knobs to match fretboard and bridge instead of rosewood, Schaller straplocks. The bridge design is a bit boring for an otherwise great, modern design and doesn't have a top plate where the strings tie on (which would be more durable). I'll probably also change the (good) Schaller machines for Sloanes with black rollers.

I have three guitars with Graph Tech Ghost systems and I really like the modular concept and the more realistic piezo sound. Unlike others, I don't find the crosstalk to be a problem on my electrics. The Carvin is a different story - it's by far the worst for crosstalk of all three guitars. Still usable though.

carlb

Have an SH-575 and an SH-475. Both beautiful instruments, wonderfully solid, superb workmanship.

At some point you may run into problems with their unshielded piezo bridge elements. I did too often, and finally decided to replace their Ghost 13-pin setup with the shielded setup from RMC.

Had the Brian Moore custom shop guys (iGuitar workship) do the work, amazingly done.

While they were at it, I had them swap in Seymour Duncan neck and bridge pickups.

They track much better now and have much less noise on high-gain patches.

SH-475 RMC by Carl B, on Flickr

ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker