Re: Aliensporebomb's Roland Ready Strat Saga of 2016

Started by aliensporebomb, May 14, 2016, 03:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

Take a look - it looks like one of the patch inc/dec buttons is GONE:

It's incredibly clean, like absurdly so.  I ponder if it actually got purchased today since the price was definitely right. 

Anyone know if the button might possibly be inside the pickguard somewhere?

I had nothing to test it with to verify GK functions all works. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumbo

The S1 & S2 switches are both located on a small sub-structure that is adhered to the underside of the pickguard..have heard of this breaking loose, but I would assume that if (only) one end of this broke away, it would not move sufficiently to allow one switch assembly to disappear inside the guitar without also affecting the operation and appearance of the remaining switch...     ...therefore something else may have happened..   perhaps the 'missing' switch itself has disintegrated..

In any case, there are three (relatively) simple fixes...

A)  re-engineer two replacement (NO) momentary switches into the same area  ...plenty of that sort of hardware available on eBay from Asia for very small $$$

B) buy another set of genuine Roland S1/S2 push buttons (the ones that Elantric dislikes..   ;) ) from an Internal GK Kit ..and fit them instead.

C)  install ONE (M)ON-OFF-(M)ON switch in place of the originals..

In any case, I would not let the possible work ahead become a barrier to buying the Strat..looks like a nice guitar..    8)

I have been inside the two that I own, and it's not Rocket Surgery..

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Now_And_Then

If the price is good, then you can't really make a bad mistake. Especially if you are any good with a soldering iron etc.

I have one of those and even though I am not any sort of a Strat guy, I kinda like it.

But the two pushbuttons are absolutely idiotic. The arrangement of my Brian Moore is far, far superior: patches are incremented or decremented via one switch (the technical name of which I do not know, sorry), not two buttons.

I think that you'd be much better off if you got rid of the two pushbuttons and replaced it with one switch.

(I just had the thought that this seems to be a Roland custom: any piece of kit from Roland has to have some absolutely imbecilic design feature that makes people say, "What were those idiots thinking...? But I'm not really sure that that's a design requirement; it's something that just seems to happen - kind of like it's embedded in their corporate culture.)

EDIT:

I've been thinking about this and here's what I'd do if I had that guitar: first, I'd replace the two idiot pushbuttons with a single toggle to increment or decrement the patches. Then I'd have the 5-position pickup selector replaced with a 3-position switch to select either the bridge, the neck, or both pickups. I'd then put an on/off switch for the middle pickup, possibly with a second switch to have that pickup in or out of phase. I'd like to do this to my RR Strat; I haven't done it yet because I have higher priority uses for my money at the moment.

aliensporebomb

I'm pretty sure it was bought out from under me: it's no longer on the stores website.  Oh well.  Hope someone got a nice deal.  I make it over there semi-frequently so I can doublecheck.

Now_And_Then

"He who hesitates is lost."

How much did they want for it, anyway?

aliensporebomb

Now_And_Then

Not really a great deal (especially considering that it needs repairs!). I got mine (black, though, not white) on Ebay, in perfect condition, with the official tweed hardshell case, for $450 & free shipping (and no tax).

See...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Roland+Ready+Fender+Stratocaster&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=10002&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1 

... for more prices for instruments that have actually sold.

You didn't miss much and if you still want one it shouldn't take you long to find a better deal.

timestop

Hello.
I don't know if you know that, but
It seems to be an older model of gc-1 strat. I see in the image that it has 21 frets instead of new model that have 22 frets. Are you sure that it hasn't also the gk2 pickup instead of the new gk3 ?

Elantric

The 2012-2015 Fender / Roland GC-1  Strat has 22 frets, internal GK-3 preamp , but same non adjustable fixed radius mag hex PU as the
1997-2011 Fender Roland Ready Strat that had 21 frets and internal GK-2A preamp

Either work with most GK 13 pin gear, after you set the GK String sensitivity

Now_And_Then

Okay, here's what I see.

My Roland Ready Strat has the three white tone / volume controls and between those controls and the 5-position pickup selector, there are two pushbuttons. Just like in the picture. The headstock reads "Fender Stratocaster".

My Fender VG Strat has two white tone / volume controls: the third volume control, the one nearest the edge of the guitar, has been omitted and in its place are two rather smaller, black rotary selectors. The headstock reads "Fender Powered By Roland". Oh, by the way, it needs batteries. Or a kinda pricey adapter. (Although when unpowered it will still work as a normal Strat with its complement of typical Strat pickups... if I correctly recall.)

So that's a Roland-Ready Strat in the picture in the original post, not a VG Strat as it does not have the necessary VG Strat selectors. (Unless the physical layout of the models has been changed from what I have.)

The Roland-Ready Strat will work with all GK-compatible kit; that's its purpose in life and why it has a 13-pin output. The VG Strat only has a 1/4" phone plug output and so will will not work with any GK kit without extensive modification.

Elantric

QuoteSo that's a Roland-Ready Strat in the picture in the original post,

Correct -

Also the 1997 Fender VG Strat (also known as the 2012 Fender  / Roland G5 Strat) (see below) is Not compatible with GK-13 pin gear, and is a completely different animal than any guitar we have discussed on this thread

QuoteThe Roland-Ready Strat will work with all GK-compatible kit; that's its purpose in life and why it has a 13-pin output. The VG Strat only has a 1/4" phone plug output and so will will not work with any GK kit without extensive modification.
but if you stumble upon a Fender  / Roland G5 Strat or VG Strat,  you can modify it to have a GK 13 pin output (details at link below)

Roland G5 Strat / Fender VG Strat- can 13 pin connector be added? (like GC1)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1648.msg8975#msg8975

Now_And_Then

Ooops! I modified my post while you were writing yours. (And I'm also somewhat confused by the model numbers, apparently; having confused GC-1 with G5. Or some such...)

Elantric

QuoteOoops! I modified my post while you were writing yours. (And I'm also somewhat confused by the model numbers, apparently; having confused GC-1 with G5. Or some such...)

the pic below is the Roland publicity shot for 2012 NAMM show
(Left to Right)
VG-99 (on chrome stand), GC-1 Strat, G-5 Strat, and (on floor) GR-55, and JC-120 amp in rear

Back in 2012, folks at The Gear Page forum were saying: Looks like Roland has introduced a new high end Guitar Synth - but it turned out to be the discontinued 1997 VG-99 on chrome stand in pic above.

aliensporebomb

Update:  I managed to get that guitar - they just apparently never got around to dropping pics on their website.  Also, it was consigned by a "big guitar synth guy locally" (who's that? are you out there?) and they dropped the price by $100 due to the patch down button.  I hear it moving around inside it - I can probably re-fit it.  Everything else works, electric guitar wise and GK wise otherwise.  I'll be putting my SuperVee bladerunner on it tonight as well as Dunlop Straploks.  More pics later.

mooncaine

Congrats!

I actually just popped in today because I'm about to start hot rodding one of my project GK guitars with better mag pickups & pots, and I thought about little toggles switches and push buttons.

I don't understand them well. I don't know what you mean, gumbo, when you say "two replacement (NO) momentary switches." Does the NO stand for "Normally Open"?

I kinda like those round push buttons. I wonder if I can get better ones, wonder what fun options there might be that I could do by just swapping out the black plastic ones from the Roland GK-3 kit that I've got now.

Thought about metal ones, but then realized that'd be heavier. Don't care to add weight unless there's a good reason, but I'm interested. I had been thinking of doing just one mini toggle switch, of course, but I'd like to lean towards designing with flat controls, flat as possible, if there are good push buttons, easy to get and easy to swap out. Are there?

Could I (theoreticaly) replace one of those stock black plastic buttons with another switch that is "momentary (NO)", even if it's not a push button? Like, maybe it's a telegraph key, or a... I dunno... big red arcade button like you'd find on the side of a pinball machine?

Now_And_Then

Quote from: aliensporebomb on May 29, 2016, 01:29:11 PM
Update:  I managed to get that guitar ... they dropped the price by $100 due to the patch down button.

$449 was not great but $349 makes it a pretty good deal. Aside from anything else, it's still a real Strat. Add in the cost / value of the internal GK components, and it's a pretty good deal! (I might put Carvin AP11-4's on one of mine though.)

Quote from: mooncaine on May 29, 2016, 03:29:25 PM
Thought about metal ones, but then realized that'd be heavier. Don't care to add weight unless there's a good reason...

Durability?

gumtown

Great deal !!

Maybe you might want to replace the S1/S2 & GK select switches with a steam punk theme, install knife-blade switches for something different..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mooncaine

aliensporebomb

Update.  Well, it was a mistake for me to have tried to go into the guitar to try and restore the down switch to it's proper position.  Gumbo is probably right about it not being rocket surgery and his alternative suggestions are sound but I have problems with seeing small things and dealing with them close up:  My eyes just can't focus on wires that small the way they used to is part of the problem.  My eyes had lasik for distance vision (so driving, bike riding and other things aren't a problem) and readers don't work so hot when the light gets dimmer towards evening. 

The tl;dr version:  I'll have to call my favorite electronic repair place (EMI in Robbinsdale, Minnesota) that fixed my other old Roland ready strat to see what options are available.

The longer version: 
Because of economic reasons Fender opted to GLUE the patch inc/dec switch housings to the underside of the pickguard.  After a time, through use and pressure this glue dries out. 

It's pretty obvious that someone tried to repair this before I got the guitar since I see residue of super glue on the top side of the switch housing for patch.  I tried gluing it in place but the switch stays depressed, I removed this then tried to widen the hole on both ends but that's not really the problem:  he issue is there's glue residue on the sides of the round plastic round barrel shaped actuator which
I will need to sand tomorrow to see if I can get it to move back and forth reasonably and try again - but I never should have opened it up:

I ended up accidentally unwired part of the guitar.  So now: regular guitar works (standard output), hex output only works on "guitar only" mode.  Bleah.
And it's a holiday weekend.  Yay me.

I should have just left it alone but I'll be bringing this to EMI asap.  I understand economics but the half an inch or less super short super thin wires inside these things are kind of infuriating.

gumbo

OK..  ..and thanks, asb  ;)

Yes, mooncaine, "NO" stands for 'normally open'...  which you pretty-well figured out for yourself.. ;D
..any NO momentary switch will do the job..it can be two of them, or one 3-position toggle switch which is (mom)ON - OFF - (mom)ON..using the Godin pattern of up for S1 and down for S2...the World is your Oyster  8)

and yes, asb, the wiring is fairly miniscule to those original switch buttons...but, if you have a look at the schematics of the GK mainboard you will see that there's a JST-type multiplug that connects the S1/2 stuff to the PCB...   ...a relatively simple job to just reconstruct things from THAT point, much in the way that wiring is handled in the implementation/installation of the GK Internal Kit. 

HTH  ...by all means PM me if I can be of help in any way

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Vade

I actually enjoyed poking around inside a Strat for the first time this winter once I got over my fear of wrecking the thing. A bit of study of electrical troubleshooting, soldering, and the schematics and it all turned out not to be too difficult. At one point, when I just couldn't find the information I needed via searching, I asked here on the forum and soon had the answers I needed. Other than that, I hear you about the vision thing. I find something like this makes a world of difference when doing fine work.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/391344/Lighted_Headband_Magnifier

Best of luck getting your new beast up and running!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

aliensporebomb

Guitar dropped off at the repair facility I used last time.  It ought to be back reasonably soon in operating condition....amazing how unused that guitar is, body looks new and the fretwire is hardly touched at all.

Chumly

I sympathize with your aging eyesight as now when I work on stuff I have to use these

The googles not the female manikin!
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Chumly on June 01, 2016, 01:29:41 PM
I sympathize with your aging eyesight as now when I work on stuff I have to use these

I need to get me one of those! (the goggles; not the female mannequin)..

aliensporebomb

Guitar will be back in my hands Monday.  My tech has been swamped the last 10 days.  Lots of old synths having issues.