GR-55 - Oud? Sarod? Bakouki? Gimbry? Shamisen? Rebab?

Started by bgflex, August 09, 2011, 05:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgflex

I'd like to use the GR-55 with an XTSA (RMC saddles) to recreate the sounds of an oud, a gimbry (Moroccan), a dobro and a shamisen (Japanese), and that's just for starters. I've heard a couple of Bill Ruppert's patches. Very impressive. I'm sure we're just at the tip of the iceberg. I'd like to know if anyone else has been focusing on how to duplicate the sound of middle eastern instruments.

Elantric

QuoteI've heard a couple of Bill Ruppert's patches. Very impressive.
Some say the GR-55 is "half of a VG-99" - i say its more crippled - The GR-55 is more like only 20% of a VG-99.

Download and compare the Owners Manual for each product and compare the user parameters and controls on each product.

big_jan

GR55 great for small gigs. Little footprint. The built-in wav player, excellent for enhancing performance mode. The looper is just for show, not really usable for performance directly. I use the wav player more for playing back short backing tracks recorded at home so I can solo in the middle of a performance song. Also useful to use when you want to transition to another song and do a fade out...then intro to the next song. Give the singer breathing time after a contortion act ;) the fact that you can sequence the filing system makes it easy to read on stage. But for the Eastern Sounds you need time to play around with mix and match and understanding the tonality of the instrument then create your own.

hanzarouth

Hey there, I've created an oud sound that I think sounds pretty close, I'll try to post something soon.

hanzarouth

Here is that oud sound. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4333.0. I'll try to put together a recording where you could hear the difference between both the real oud and this simulated oud.

kenact

Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

hanzarouth

Yeah, I wish. It's a beautiful instrument. But I think the idea is to avoid dishing out the $1500 to $1700 it takes to get a Multioud.  :'(

Naphthol

Quote from: hanzarouth on August 14, 2011, 06:15:22 PM
Here is that oud sound. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4333.0. I'll try to put together a recording where you could hear the difference between both the real oud and this simulated oud.

I would very much like to hear that.  I'd buy a real oud if I had the money, but if my gr-55 can match up fairly well that would make me a happy guitarist.

BWoo

Quote from: hanzarouth on August 14, 2011, 06:15:22 PM
I would really enjoy being able to hear what you've done with your oud patch.

thanks, Bill