Show your GK Guitar

Started by Virtual Tone, February 22, 2008, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Well the Variax with GK-3 is using a slightly stock GK-3 Humbucker mount ring from eBay UK.

The goal was no extra drill holes in this guitar.

I agree tracking would improve if the GK-3 pickup was closer to the bridge.

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on December 31, 2011, 02:13:56 PM
Well the Variax with GK-3 is using a slightly stock GK-3 Humbucker mount ring from eBay UK.

The goal was no extra drill holes in this guitar.

I agree tracking would improve if the GK-3 pickup was closer to the bridge.

I am a firm believer in using double sided tape for everything GK - I have never yet used screws!  Good luck!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

paults

I have others that I will post in this thread, but here's one that suits a "Happy New Year" theme:

On stage, it looks like this:

Mighty Mite neck, Dimarzio Fred (mostly to fill the hole - the Roland models sound great with that big slab o' plexiwhatever) internal GK2.   

maxdaddy

Paul,
I can see myself behind one of those. (there's a joke in there someplace if anyone cares to think about it hard enough  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/Smileys/classic/cheesy.gif  ) Who built the bodies?
thanks
dave

paults

LOL! that's funny :)

At one point a few years ago, it seemed like every pawn shop in town had clear, blue, and red plexi strats - usually with "Galveston" on the headstock.  This one was re-necked and USA Fender electronics in it by the time I got it.  I bought tri-color flashing LEDs on eBay, and wired a grid of ten of them to run off of a 9v battery,  No IC timers, no transistors.  Just ten LEDs, five 100 ohm resistors, a switch and a battery. 

cell7

Alright - here's mine... i think it takes the cake as the ugliest guitar of all time. Meet the *guitarasaurus*  ;D

I built it with a steinberger spirit, some awesome cheap-ass rail mag pickups, a Fender/Guild Ashbury [silicon string] bass, gk2a, ebow, a rode shock mount and a bunch of miscellaneous hardware store parts. Its reasonably heavy but i guess nothing like the weight of a normal doubleneck. Plus, i can take it apart and it all fits in a backpack [2 x travel guitar size].

It works a treat - now i just need to spend some more time on getting better at playing the damn thing.

A2theT

Wow, that thing should be in the next Terminator movie.  Very creative and slick.  Great work, you should be proud of that sucka!

I've always believed that success is a great combination of 33% ability, 33% song, and 33% performance creativity.
So just by looking at the pic you're already 1/3 the way there!

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

tekrytor

@ cell7
Love your guitarasaurus! Very cool! Where on the planet can we see it live? I think that one commands a whole lot of Road Warrior charm.

How did you join them? Is it some kind of interlocking track mechanism?

I have one of those same basses and a seldom used basement Ibanes RG something in my guitar harem...and a sawsall. You got me motivated!
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

cell7

@A to the T and @tekrytor - cheers guys!

The gk2a is mounted onto an aluminium door handle that is attached to the end of the steinberger. There is alot of gaffa tape and zip-ties involved so it doesnt look quite so slick on close-up, but thats also part of the charm  :P
The main connections between the 2 guitars are made with bolts. One goes into the top of the door handle, one is a stabilizing bar that goes straight into the steinberger body, and the third is a contraption made up of 2 right angle brackets [i think they come with Ikea furniture...], some bolts and a wingnut - this goes from the strapnut of the ashbory into the back of the steinberger [and serves as a 'mount' for the ebow].
So yes, its an interlocking mechanism, but it really is a kind of punk 'how can i do this without a bunch of tools and money' approach - i think the total cost to me was under 500 euros if all the guitars and parts are added together. I will take a pic of it disassembled to show how i did it - its not pretty but it works, and thats kinda the aesthetic that i was going for. The only 2 things on the guitar that arent 'practical' are the circular metal plate that hides some of the messy crap and the removeable shockmount that i put in place of the headstock to add some balance. Actually, i am thinking of adding a piezo or a pressure plate behind the circular metal thing so that it makes it functional also...

Regarding where on the planet - the guitarasaurus is living in Amsterdam at the moment but it was born in Australia :) it can be heard in an older pre-guitarasaurus form [constituent parts] at cell7.bandcamp.com

aliensporebomb

wow, between paults' led flashing extravaganza and cell7's siamese twin it gives me lots of cool ideas.

How heavy is the plexiglass strat?  Must weight a lot I would think but it sure looks cool!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

tomtheguitarguy

http://www.tomtheguitarguy.com ~ http://www.tomcatsband.com
CIJ Blue Floral w/ McVay G Bender
G & L Will Ray Signature ASAT w/ Hipshot B Bender
JTV-69 James Tyler Variax
Fishman TriplePlay ~ Roland GR-55
Dr. Z RxES 2x12
Quilter MicroPro200 10" ~ Quilter Aviator 8" ~ Quilter Steelaire
Bose L1 Classic

flabergaster

Here's my first build. Learned a lot. Came out great. Got her on ebay, and starting on #2.

A2theT

Hey flabergaster, thanks for posting the pics and congrats on the install.
I do see an opportunity to make a snide remark so I'll apologize first for my bad behavior.
With regards to installing the GK-Kit on this guitar, wouldn't it be like putting caviar on a ritz cracker?  :P
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

maxdaddy

A to the T,
???
consider yourself smoten... errrr... smited.... 

A2theT

no worries. smite all you want. it was worth it. lol ;D
HEAVY on the METAL

Kevin M

Quote from: A to the T on March 05, 2012, 04:13:57 PM
Hey flabergaster, thanks for posting the pics and congrats on the install.
I do see an opportunity to make a snide remark so I'll apologize first for my bad behavior.
With regards to installing the GK-Kit on this guitar, wouldn't it be like putting caviar on a ritz cracker?  :P

Mmmmmmm.....ritz crackers!  :-)

kbell101

Quote from: Earthworm on April 08, 2008, 02:41:34 PM
My brand new Carvin SH575--Graphtech midi pickup

Earthworm... that is the spitting image of my Carvin-575. Koa wood, wooden knobs, gold-tone hwr and all. Did you have any issues getting it setup? I spent quite a bit of time working with mine. It showed up with a bad internal board to be replaced and had some resonance I couldn't get rid of. Bought an add-on filter for the GR-55 and turned all sensitivities way down and got most of the synth stuff playable. My avitar is a picture of my guitar.

Its' a beautiful guitar and the mag and piezo pickups sound beautiful.
Carvin SH-575
American Fender Strat
Fender Blues Jr BillM Modified - Stompboxes galore
GR-55
Roland AC-90
Cessna Skylane C-182 w/Pponk conversion
Partridge in a Pair Tree

paults

Quote from: aliensporebomb on February 22, 2012, 08:23:53 AM
wow, between paults' led flashing extravaganza and cell7's siamese twin it gives me lots of cool ideas.

How heavy is the plexiglass strat?  Must weight a lot I would think but it sure looks cool!

It is pretty close in weight to my '73 Les Paul Custom, so about 11 lbs, I think.  Wide strap territory :)

paults

Quote from: tomtheguitarguy on February 22, 2012, 11:47:05 AM
My newest addition . . .

I love the look of those guitars - one has been giving me the 'come hither' look at a local Music Go Round for the past year or so.  But, I already have a shallow Custom Legend, and a deep body Legend Limited, so I'm set for round back guitars.

fbwh

My trusty old ARIA PRO II which I have owned since new (my first guitar bought in 1980) just got the gk treatment among other things, she will no longer sit in the dust of my other guitars. Here are before and after shots!
Before

After
Certified Guitar Addict

motetito

Here is my Ibanez Roadstar Series 1980 (very heavy guitar) with new input jack, 3 texas special fender and the gk3 pickup
and of course my Godin LGXT AA with the 0.11 strings.
Menos es más...Tocá con el corazón.

fbwh

nothing wrong with roadstar series Ibanez's ....top guitar in it's day and today!
Certified Guitar Addict

markcasq

Here's my Epiphone Les Paul with Internal GK

I converted the LP to one volume and one tone, and I installed the GK volume and GK-guitar selector switch to the other holes.

GK pickup installed in reverse

Installed the S1/S2 switch near the pickup selector

GK LED installed at the back.

Thanks to Rafael and Elantric for the help.

fbwh

Super neat install Markcasq!!!
Certified Guitar Addict

markcasq