GR-55 - Anybody got a patch for an Arabic Nay (Flute)?

Started by Rockbeare, April 23, 2012, 02:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockbeare

I'd really appreciate it if anybody could point me to a relevant resource.  I'm loving my GR55 but I'm not yet up to programming such a sound myself....

Thanks!

Jim Williams

The flute sounds are 394-404. I don't know what one sounds like so this is the best I can do for you. You could try this modified Flute Solo patch. It may just be a starting point for you.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Rockbeare

Thanks, Jim, I'll have a dig at the weekend.  I'm after the breathy, droning sound that is often featured on TV whenever a stereotype of a dark/brooding/middle eastern 'terrorist type' appears on screen. It's based on a flute but has lower register resonances, more drone.  I figure it would not only be a great atmospheric sound, but it would also drive me to brush up on my eastern scales.

Rockbeare

Hi again, Jim.  You probably think me terribly ungrateful for not having responded before, but I've only just returned from a business trip and had a chance to sit down with my laptop, editor, librarian and GR-55.

Anyway, I think I must be doing something wrong, because when I load your attached patch into the GR-55, it shows up and plays as a piano and clean guitar model patch???

I've been into the flutes and edited a couple which sound ok, but I'm still hoping someone out there with much greater programming skills than me has developed a really atmospheric Arabic sounding flute/drone tone...

papabuss

Hi rockbeare
can you post a concrete sample/video of what you are thinking of?

Is it coincidentally this very interesting sounding flute?

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Rockbeare

You are reading my mind. Perfect example of what I'm looking for recreate!

Thank you so much - now anyone reading this thread has an idea of what I'm talking about.

:)

papabuss

THX rockebeare
YES....  Perhaps sometimes I can read your mind..Glad to hear that it was your video/sound you've been looking for. I  hope that I (or some of our members) can make a good patch. for you! :)

bgflex

papabuss

Hi bgflex and rockbeare
I can't promise you that I get close to this fantastic flute sound because I've concentrated on my VG99 for the last weeks and months...But if I connect my guitar to my GR 55 "someday" again (I hope very soon) my first job will be to come close to it and inform you!
Greetings from Germany! :)

P.S. But everyone in our forum is invited to create this patch,too! ;)

papabuss

I switched on my GR 55 earlier as I thought.... ;)
I only worked 30 minutes on it and so it cannot of course be perfect.
So this is the betaversion.
Perhaps someone can tweak it to the point.
Hope you can "live with it" for the first.
Comments appreciated. :)

Bernarada

Quite nice. A fair try in the right direction, Papa.
Old Ovation Classical, Larrivée OM-03, Alvarez baritone stringed in Half-Nashville, Washburn J6 archtop with internal RMC pickup, Godin SD with GK-3, Line 6 Helix floor, SY-1000, VG-99, and a little home-studio, running a RME Babyface Pro FS, a pair of KRKs, a Macbook M1 Pro and Logic.

papabuss

Hi Bernarada
great to hear you like it.
It's just a "first try" :) There must be some more reverb and delay...I think ;)Any ideas?
I want to get the tone in the beginning of the video posted from me above.

Bernarada

It's a first try, I know - you said so. And a good one. Reverb ? Possibly, though it shouldn't swim in it - which as we know can end up taking something away from a sound. Delay ? Surely, if it can be somehow smoothed out so much that it's not so much repeats, but a way to prolong the sound.

'Seems to me that apart from the tone itself, the catch is emulating the unique breathing or breathy aspect of the Persian nay, which is much of its peculiarity - and it is with the Japanese shakuachi or the Hindu bansuri, each in their own way.     

I look forward to have a go at this - fine tuning interesting patches - when I get to know the machine better, as I'm just beginning with it.
Old Ovation Classical, Larrivée OM-03, Alvarez baritone stringed in Half-Nashville, Washburn J6 archtop with internal RMC pickup, Godin SD with GK-3, Line 6 Helix floor, SY-1000, VG-99, and a little home-studio, running a RME Babyface Pro FS, a pair of KRKs, a Macbook M1 Pro and Logic.

papabuss

Hi Bernarada
thx for your additional comments and tips.
So when my patch seems to be accepted, perhaps one of our moderators can move the whole topic to the GR 55 PATCHES site. THX Elantric :)

Rockbeare

Hi guys, just got to load the patch and try it.  A really great start, pretty close.  The sound itself is quite accurate but the patch is not yet responsive enough to playing nuances.

I have edited pcm2 so that all strings respond, and upped the mix of pcm2 so that the drone /atmospherics are enhanced.  I've also disabled chromatic on pcm1 & 2 so that note bends/curls work.

However, the next bit is beyond my capabilities : shorten the opening breathiness so the notes have a bit less rise time / more attack and sequences of notes can be played more quickly after each other....

papabuss

Hi rockbeare
thx for being so kind to change these special parameters. Can you post the new patch?:)

Rockbeare

Been travelling in business again, hence my delay for which apologies.

Just loaded this through the editor from the GR55 - it only incorporates the changes as referred to earlier, but see what you think.

Any further tweaks/improvements very welcome.  Best wishes

papabuss