Author Topic: GK-3 - Electrical Mod for reverse mounting the pickup  (Read 9388 times)

Offline Mrchevy

• Rating: 20
  • My other wife is a Les Paul Custom
Re: GK-3 - Electrical Mod for reverse mounting the pickup
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 06:39:42 AM »
I have my external GK3 Hex pickup mounted in reverse ( wire on the bottom side) and set to reverse in the GR55. No problems and out of the way.
Les Paul Custom
SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Gibson WRC w/GK3
Vantage VE 565
Schecter Hellraiser & C1 classic
PRS SE FR Custom 24
Martin acoustic

Tubemeister18 w/Egnater 112cab
Princeton chorus 210
Yamaha THR10C

GT100
GR-55
Mustang Floor
Boomerang III

A lot of stuff I DON'T need

Offline adamlee011

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 06:56:49 PM »
Since you guys seem to have messed with the guts of these some, any idea what to do about this short of calling Roland for a pickup? I installed a kit in an ibanez s premium. No easy task. I had it perfect but didn't like the angle of the regular bridge pickup so I went to straighten it all out and one of the wires came out of the gk pickup. At the pickup itself. So I opened it just enough to look inside and solder it back best I could without tearing the pickup wide open or burning the paper thin circuit board if you can call it that. Now I have all 6 magnets picking up sounds but crosstallk galore. The tuner on the vg99 shows all the strings lighting up when you hit one. Same with the sensitivity settings, though the one you're plucking meters strongest. Any idea how I can fix it?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:44:44 PM by adamlee011 »

Offline adamlee011

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 02:25:55 PM »
fixed it. just had to clean and resolder all of the wires at the pickup which was a pita but fyi can be done if you're patient and careful. When I have the time and motivation i'll post the work i did on the ibanez s 970 in it's own thread. that was one heck of a job. especially for me since i have no experience with most of what it entailed. i photographed most of it at each stage.

Offline Headless68

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 03:54:34 PM »
Glad you got it sorted - those wire look very close together

I just did the wire swap on the GK3 kit connector - once I figured out how to get the pins out ( the pic seems to be missing from the beginning of this thread on what that looks like) - can now use the VG8 with this guitar

Offline adamlee011

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »
Yea I did it too from the get go just for backward compatibility. I have a vg-88 and 99 but the 88 lately has bass duty (just compression and eq for my bass before it hits the amp really)  Always intended to mount it upside down. Doesn't really make sense to me not to. It was rather simple once you figure out how to get the first one out. It allowed me to snake into the control cavity without widening the existing hole too. No real choice but to take the harness off. Soldering the wires to the thin board in the pickup is another story. I actually (purposely) melted the plastic under the pickup where they each run into their own little hole in order to have room to work /see what I was doing. Here's a quick shot of the finished s. I'll have to get around to doing a step by step narrative /pictorial.

Offline ConstruKction

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 07:07:30 PM »
Glad you got it sorted - those wire look very close together

I just did the wire swap on the GK3 kit connector - once I figured out how to get the pins out ( the pic seems to be missing from the beginning of this thread on what that looks like) - can now use the VG8 with this guitar

In addition to the recently acquired VG-99, I managed to find a nice Roland GR-30, so I had no choice but to conduct the modification. I used a needle to lift the plastic piece that clamps the pin. They seem quite fragile but actually they're flexible.

Done in ten minutes, and the GR-30 is outstanding when it comes to tracking. While not perfect, it doesn't complain about my low C string as much as the VG-99. Ha-haaaaa! No wonder Fripp still uses it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:10:11 PM by ConstruKction »

Offline Ciaron

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
Apologies if this has been covered before...

I've just got myself a GK-3 which I'll be using with a newly acquired VG-8EX.

The 'donor' guitar is self built so I don't really have any concerns about drilling holes etc, but I'm a little concerned about the hex cable position on the upper bout of the guitar and whether or not it's going to get in the way of my playing.

Thus, my question is, is there a specific reason why the hex pickup can't be mounted in reverse? IE with the hex cord emerging from under the high E string, rather than under the low E string?

Thanks in advance.

Ciaron
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:51:36 AM by admsustainiac »

Online admsustainiac

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 10:57:07 AM »
Modern Roland/Boss systems since 2007 include a choice in the GK Type user setting for "Reverse"  - which allows you to mount the GK-3 hex PU with the Wire emerging downward 

But older systems (VG-8, VG-88) do not have this functionality

Many modify their GK-3 by swapping the 6 string signal wires so you can use all generations of GK 13 processors

Read details above

Offline Ciaron

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 08:31:41 AM »
Modern Roland/Boss systems since 2007 include a choice in the GK Type user setting for "Reverse"  - which allows you to mount the GK-3 hex PU with the Wire emerging downward 

But older systems (VG-8, VG-88) do not have this functionality

Many modify their GK-3 by swapping the 6 string signal wires so you can use all generations of GK 13 processors

Read details above

Thanks for this, very much appreciated  :)

Offline howarddavidp

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
It's thread NECRO time!!! :)

I just bought a GP-10, which DOES have the reverse feature.  However, I kept my GR-33, so I needed to use this thread and the information here to reverse the wires.

Once again, the pictures and the info stands the test of time, as it is 2017 and I just reversed my GK-3 on a homemade EVH strat.  I will try and get some pictures posted.  I also bought a brand new GK-3 for my Ibanez RG920MQM, but I might consider getting the KIT since this is a nice guitar and it is worth it to me.

Thanks again to the original poster, this was super easy to do.

David

Offline gumbo

• Rating: 27
  • Changing the 13-pin interface - one Jack at a time
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 05:08:32 AM »
It's thread NECRO time!!! :)

I just bought a GP-10, which DOES have the reverse feature.  However, I kept my GR-33, so I needed to use this thread and the information here to reverse the wires.

Once again, the pictures and the info stands the test of time, as it is 2017 and I just reversed my GK-3 on a homemade EVH strat.  I will try and get some pictures posted.  I also bought a brand new GK-3 for my Ibanez RG920MQM, but I might consider getting the KIT since this is a nice guitar and it is worth it to me.

Thanks again to the original poster, this was super easy to do.

David

PM me for details if you might also NOT want to dig a dirty big hole in the edge of your nice guitar in order to install the standard Roland 13-pin jack...   ...the drop-in pre-wired Synth-Linx Jack only needs a 5/8" (round!) hole   ;)  ...and only costs a measly 40USD + 5USD shipping all the way from sunny(!!) Australia...

Cheers,
Peter

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Offline Headless68

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 03:11:33 AM »
I would totally recommend Peter (aka Gumbo's) 13 pin socket - I just installed one - MUCH less intrusive to the guitar and a lot easier to install - very high quality build ( in my opinion significantly better than OEM )

Headless :-)

Offline MrSparkle

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've got to do this reverse mod on one of my Parker Flys that had an internal GK2a installed (reverse-mounted) by the previous owner. GR-1 doesn't have the reverse option so I'm only able to partially enjoy the G-string (no pun intended).

I'm gonna have some new pickups and pots installed anyway, so I was thinking of just taking it to the shop instead of messing under the hood since I'm a little clumsy with electronics, but I'm trying to gauge whether the GK wire mod is simple enough for me to do without damaging something. Seems like it's just unclipping and re-attaching the wires? The catch is that section is really small and I'm hesitant getting in there.

I mean, I've changed iPhone batteries, but when it came to changing the GPS chip, let's just say I lost 10% of my touch screen's touch capabilities after the operation.  :-X

Offline Headless68

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2017, 12:22:42 PM »
its simple - just be careful as the GK wires are small so don't use force on them

Blog