VG-99 Still Discovering Things with the VG-99

Started by aliensporebomb, February 11, 2017, 02:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

I have a GP-10 to work on these days and it's fun -  but I keep going back to the 99 because I'll be sitting in the car and go "hey, I wonder if you can do this with routing?" or a similar thought.

So the other night I just figured I'd mess around and see if I could get some sounds I never did before.

I ended up programming 27 different sounds in the space of something like an hour and a half.  Crazy!

Stay tuned!  More will be uploaded as soon as I can set up some assigns for these for those with FC-300 or other pedals.

That being said, I'm still using multiple USB flashdrives to make multiple backups of the patches in addition to hard drives.  USB flash drives will hold a boatload of patches and then some.  Try it!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

I use those usb sticks and do 2 backups for the important stuff. I've been enjoying runing your vg99 patches into the 2 sy300. Using an exp pedal on the 99's A and B channel mix really makes for good modulation of the audio into sy patches.

alexmcginness

Im using both. They each have "something" Im having a blast with 13 pin tech and its getting cheaper to buy this stuff used. Good times indeed.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Headless68

Anything new to share - seeing as though I'm now back in the game :-)   
I find your patches are great inspiration points to 'step of the cliff' & experiment

aliensporebomb

Update:  I'm strongly considering wiping all 200 of my patches and starting over!  I'll back them all up of course.  I've got so many ideas! 
I've considered doing "patch a day" or 'patch a week' and doing a youtube video maybe showing how I program the unit or how I 'zero in' in sounds I like.

jb63

Quote from: aliensporebomb on August 17, 2018, 12:57:28 PM
Update:
I've considered doing "patch a day" or 'patch a week' and doing a youtube video maybe showing how I program the unit or how I 'zero in' in sounds I like.

Of course anyone reading this realizes that if Roland had backed up their product with something like this it would have been a lot more successful!

Plus, i would like to see videos like that.

vanceg

THere's really no end to the possibilities in this box.  There are limits to some specific features...but no end to possibility.

chrish

Quote from: jb63 on August 19, 2018, 12:04:21 PM
Of course anyone reading this realizes that if Roland had backed up their product with something like this it would have been a lot more successful!

Plus, i would like to see videos like that.
I think lack of success of all the VG units is due to price point.

The things were very expensive when they hit the market. Nothing I was interested in until the vg8 was reduced in price from $2400 to a grand with pickup, cord and s1 upgrade.

I knew what it did, saw the demos, read the material and dreamed, but no interest at that high price point.

Same with the VG99.

aliensporebomb

Except - look at the preponderance of expensive multi FX floorboard type guitar units:  GT-1000 ($1000), Headrush ($1000), Helix LT ($1000), then there's the bigger options Helix Big board ($1400) Fractal etc.

These units appear to be selling (would be interesting to know how well).

I think people will take $1000 risks if the patches are great but at $1400 (for a VG-99+FC-300) it was too much for lackluster patches.  The Helix had a lot of I/O utility so people sprang for that.   The 99 has that too but I only saw an ad or two for the VG and I see regular advertising for the Line 6 gear and the "internet word of mouth" is frequent on that unit.

Shingles

Quote from: aliensporebomb on October 16, 2018, 10:20:48 AM
Except - look at the preponderance of expensive multi FX floorboard type guitar units:  GT-1000 ($1000), Headrush ($1000), Helix LT ($1000), then there's the bigger options Helix Big board ($1400) Fractal etc.

These units appear to be selling (would be interesting to know how well).

I think people will take $1000 risks if the patches are great but at $1400 (for a VG-99+FC-300) it was too much for lackluster patches.  The Helix had a lot of I/O utility so people sprang for that.   The 99 has that too but I only saw an ad or two for the VG and I see regular advertising for the Line 6 gear and the "internet word of mouth" is frequent on that unit.

Furthermore, compare the price of a VG unit to that of a decent keyboard workstation or rig.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

admin

Quote from: Shingles on October 16, 2018, 10:34:28 AM
Furthermore, compare the price of a VG unit to that of a decent keyboard workstation or rig.

In 2007, the VG-99 +FC300 was $1600 "street price"
We did have a Group buy which lowered this to $1480 for both

http://www.in2013dollars.com/2007-dollars-in-2018?amount=1600

allowing for inflatiion

2007 $1600 = 2018 $1945
QuoteU.S. Inflation Rate, $1,600 in 2007 to 2018
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, prices in 2018 are 21.61% higher than prices in 2007. The dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.70% per year during this period.

In other words, $1,600 in 2007 is equivalent in purchasing power to $1,945.74 in 2018, a difference of $345.74 over 11 years.

The 2007 inflation rate was 2.85%.

at todays used prices ($450) - in 2018 , a gently used VG-99 +FC-300 remains a powerful guitarist's tool - unequaled with "new" competing gear. 

chrish

Quote from: Shingles on October 16, 2018, 10:34:28 AM
yea, a good keyboard mechanism costs money. Its like having a built-in guitar for an effects device.

When I think about a piano player, I think that person has had musical training and can read music. Somehow I associate that training with hard work and wealth. ;)

Now look at your average Dirtbag guitar player.

No formal training, can't read music, tries to steal as many licks as they can, likes to hold the body of the guitar at crotch level and stroke the neck, and having drug and whiskey money is as important as purchasing another pedal.

So basically guitar players were cheap, from the wrong side of the tracks. ;D

I was never picky about what factory presets came with the synth units cuz they're mostly programmable  and third-party patches are always available, either for sale or free download. And that goes back to the original VG 8 forum for free downloadable patches.

If the VGs were available for $499 they would have sold a whole lot more units.

aliensporebomb

Given what the things do, it's amazing they exist at all at whatever price they are at.

sixeight

Now that I use the VG-99 with the Helix after a period of mostly using the GP10 and GR55, I do really enjoy coming back.

Really like the dual virtual guitars, the user programmable polyphonic harmonies and the feedbacker effect to name a few.

It is great to have so much fun after all these years.

Martin Turner

Looked at across the board, flexible products generally do less well than products sold at a lower price point with obvious presets.
My fx/synth journey was: i) just a Marshall ii) Digital Delay iii) Yamaha REX50 (borrowed) iv) Zoom 4040 and GR700 v) Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket vi) VG 88 & GR33 vii) VG 99.

When I had the REX50 and then the Zoom, I basically never used anything but the presets that were on the box when they arrived. Most players I talk to (and gig with) are the same. The sounds are great—but they are there to showcase how great the unit is, and they don't go together. Rolling my own with the VG 88 and then the VG 99 was (and still is) a sonic adventure. It's more than most people want. I think that was the attraction of the original Variax: you turn the knob, you get a different, finished sound.

I've had the VG 99 about ten years now, and it can still do more than I can imagine.

Godin LGX - VG-99

chrish

Feeding the audio out of the vg-99 into the input of the sy-300 will yield even more Sonic possibilities...

Mix and match.

aliensporebomb