Gittler GK13 Superior Cable (WITH a right angle connector) NOW SHIPPING!

Started by sashua, May 09, 2014, 10:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenact

If I used that on the guitar side, I'd cover up the humbucker output on my LGXT, which I do use on occasion. On the GR-55 side, it would only partially cover up the guitar out jack. I think I'll stick with the straight ones.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

sashua

I don't know about your LGXT as I do not own one but the GR-55 is no problem. The plug's pin orientation makes the angle and cord face the right, not the left. It will not block anything at all on the GR-55. I suspect the same would be true of your guitar.

Elantric, I take it from the quotes around the word "feature" that you are not a fan of molded plastic connectors? Let me know if these are preferable. They are a no cost option to me.

Elantric

QuoteI don't know about your LGXT as I do not own one but the GR-55 is no problem. The plug's pin orientation makes the angle and cord face the right, not the left. It will not block anything at all on the GR-55. I suspect the same would be true of your guitar.

This will block a 1/4" jack on most Godin's
Godin xTSA shown below ( similar to LGSA/LGXT)

QuoteElantric, I take it from the quotes around the word "feature" that you are not a fan of molded plastic connectors?
Molded 13 pin Cables are not user repairable - zero interest here.

QuoteLet me know if these are preferable. They are a no cost option to me

These recent pics of your alternate 13 pin DIN plugs are much preferred vs molded on type.

But the main issue will be the actual cable type and its internal shield , and test for susceptibility to induced microphonic handling  noise during stage movement.   

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/print/cable_anatomy_101_key_factors_to_keep_in_mind

Shielding
Cable conductors need to be shielded from noise, of which there are two common types. The first is handling noise, in the form of cracking, swishing, scratching, popping, buzzing or humming sounds.

Top to bottom: Braided shield, spiral shield, foil shield with drain and a snake cable with foil shield. (click to enlarge)
Handling noise can be heard with the cable plugged in but no source audio present. This can be due to substandard electrical termination at the connectors, worn or partially broken center conductor, or inferior wiring in general.

The actual cable construction and the relationship between inner conductors, shielding and outer jacket also affect handling noise.

The second type of noise is interference, of which there are two common types: RFI (radio frequency interference) and EMI (electromagnetic interference).

RFI can be caused by very high radio band frequencies. (You might actually hear a radio station through your system, or high-pitched squeals or hiss.)

EMI can be caused by electromagnetic fields that can emit low frequencies. These fields can surround transformers, power lines and other devices that use or transport large amounts of electrical current. (It's also often heard as hum or buzz.)

Three primary types of shielding are employed to combat these problems: braid, spiral and foil. In terms of cost, braid shielding is the most expensive, involving copper strands woven into a braided pattern around the center conductor's inner jacket.

The braided approach works best with microphone cables because of their low inductance. (Inductance is the storage of magnetic energy. Magnetic energy is stored as long as current keeps flowing).

Spiral shielding is more flexible than braiding, and is commonly used in guitar cables. A drawback to spiral wrap is that, like a slinky in motion, one side compresses while the other separates. It's through these separated strands that RFI can enter.

To compensate for the rejection loss of RFI, sometimes a secondary shield is added, using carbon as a semi-conductor. This is generally effective over very short distances.

The carbon is not a solid sheet, rather, microscopic bits of carbon mixed into another, more flexible material (usually a plastic composite). The bits of carbon conduct current from bit to bit.

Foil wrap shielding is the least expensive shielding method, and some provide full 100 percent coverage. It can be very effective against RFI.

A drain wire runs next to the foil, providing a way to terminate the foil at the connectors, and is a technique is most often used in the construction of snakes. (Note: The drain wire runs along the foil shield to provide a means to connect the foil shield to the connector. The drain wire itself doesn't actually do much shielding at all.)

sashua

Thanks to everyone here I have managed to learn enough about what the public demands. I have made some final design changes and you can all thank yourselves for your input because you can now have what you want (or at least most of it).

Please take a look at the attached print and see the pics below. I had our factory cut some of the cable so you can have a peek inside.

let me know if there are any last comments based on this info but, if not, we will have this cable in 12 ft. and 18 ft. lengths with locking connectors (one at right angle) and gold plated pins.

This is a good solid cable from all I can tell.

The gold plating added a little cost so final pricing for the cables will go up by a few bucks. I will make the announcement once the cables are nearing completion.

Elantric

The Foil + Spiral Shield will provide good rejection of EMI / RF

FWIW:   "AWM STYLE 2464" - refers to compliance with a UL specification "APPLIANCE WIRING MATERIAL" page 2464

link here:

http://data.ul.com/link/stylepage.aspx?style=2464

and you have 26 gauge wire

There may be a concern for the stiffness of the cable, may not be as flexible as my #1 choice Mogami   - but there is more $$ involved

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/snake/

sashua

Well I can't speak to that as I don't know the Mogami stuff but I can tell you that I have one here in my hands and it is very, very nice in that regard.

Elantric

Good attribute  - many folks will complain if the cable is too stiff.

The true real world GK Cable Cable test would be:

*  If you wind the cable into a 0.5 meter diameter circle for storage, is there a "memory effect" and the cable no longer lays flat the next night when used at the gig?     

Then find a 13 pin guitar and use your new 13 pin cable,  feed a VG-99 or GR-55 set to a high gain Heavy Metal COSM Guitar patch, and  feed a pair of QSC K12 powered speakers at Rock Stage Volume (invite your local John Bonham type drummer for a jam) and test for:

* Is there any microphonic induced noises when the cable is moved, or bounced or swung around like a jump rope during your performance ?

* Is there any microphonic induced high pitched howling feedback, that manifests when performing at full high SPL volume levels in excess of 100db.

Find a Les Paul or Strat with GK-3 (or Fender Roland GC-1)  that has its normal PU signal sent down Pin #7 of the 13 pin cable.

Do an A/B Comparison of your cable  with the official Roland GKC-10 10 meter cable,
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/91

Is there any human ear perceptible change / difference in the quality of the normal PU audio signal?
move the guitar mounted GK-3  three way"Guitar/mix/Synth" switch to Guitar and have Guitar volume turned full up.
On the GR-55, Select the "Lead" style. Then select these presets:
GR-55 Preset 30-1 For Normal PU L1 = for Normal PU L1
GR-55 Preset 30-2 For Normal PU L2 = for Normal PU L2
GR-55 Preset 30-3 For Normal PU L3 = for Normal PU L3

sashua

Elantric,
I don't have the ability to do that testing on a short turnaround basis as I am knee-deep in bass guitar machining for the new Gittler bass If I send you one of the two prototype cables I have here, would you be willing to run it through it's paces and give me your honest opinion privately so I can correct whatever you find lacking before buying 1000 cables?

Bear in mind that the sample will not have the locking connectors or gold pins.

-Russ

Elantric

QuoteI am knee-deep in bass guitar machining for the new Gittler bass

In 2014 , 5 string Bass seems the most prevalent / popular in my travels  - suggest skip the 4 string bass and go for a 34" scale length 5 string Gittler Bass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_length_(string_instruments)

QuoteIf I send you one of the two prototype cables I have here, would you be willing to run it through it's paces and give me your honest opinion privately so I can correct whatever you find lacking before buying 1000 cables?
Sure!

See Your PM Inbox

sashua

This may sound unorthodox but we are actually making 4 string and 6 string basses (as well as an EUB)
The spine rod of our instrument does not play well with a traditional 5 string spacing. Even numbers are our friend and uneven numbers are our adversary unless we do a more radical re-design...which is not in the cards at the moment.

Rhcole

12 ft is fine by me. I don't need gold connectors. I am ok with non-locking IF the connector doesn't come out easily. It looks perfect for my Carvin, but you will also want to check it on a mounted GK-3 to see if it has enough clearance.

DF400

Put me down for one 18ft. I like the idea of one angle and one straight. I agree that the locking feature is flawed and a significant weak point in the Roland design, so I actually prefer non-locking. I like the idea of caps, and perhaps include a storage container, or spool for the cable. I use a velcro loop strap to attach the cable to my strap - a sort of break-away cable securingce. It has been my experience that rolling and unrolling the cable for storage takes as much, or more toll, on the cable than stage use. I use a velcro loop strap to attach the cable to my strap - a sort of break-away cable securing device. On a less technical side, colored-cable options might also prove useful.
Looking forward to placing an order - thanks!

CodeSmart

Agree with rhcole, 12 feet (or 15 feet) is ok. My playing arenas are not so big. Like 90 degr in one end. If the angle is not 180 degrees right I just rotate my GK-Kit installations 180 degrees (4 screws and a twist of the socket in the guitar). Don't need locking since the cable will be tightly secured under my guitar strap (don't wanna stomp at it). I hope you sell to Europe or get some distributor over here.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

sashua

Gittler Instruments LLC has designed and built a new superior Din 13 cable in order to respond to the lack of a high quality version on today's retail market. We produce a guitar that is a superior MIDI tracker and our customers have demanded a better quality cable to take full advantage of this. We responded to the call and these cables will be completed and ready to ship in approximately 3 weeks!

Some of you may have been following here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11243.msg82033#msg82033

Our own Steve Conrad (Elantric) has reviewed a production cable that we supplied to him and has provided the necessary input for us to fine tune its specifications to a far better degree. Below you can see a list of the cable's specifications as well as a compatibility list provided by Steve (thanks Steve!) who has now given the cable a rousing endorsement after passing his quality tests standards.

Our cables are available in 12 ft. and 18 ft. lengths.

High Purity OFHC Copper 99.95%
External Cable: 2.256" Dia.
Internal wire: 26 AWG, 13 different colored jackets
Aluminum Shielding braid
One end right angle, locking, assembly type
One end straight, locking, assembly type
Grounded to barrel
All Pins Gold plated

The right angle plug is great but not for all rigs. It will not insert into the following gear so the other end may be utilized:

* Roland VG-99 (due to recessed GK Input 13pin female Jack)
* Roland VB-99 (due to recessed GK Input 13pin female Jack)
* Roland GK-3  (due to recessed GK Output 13pin female Jack)
* Roland GK-3B  (due to recessed GK Output 13pin female Jack)
* Roland GK-2A  (due to recessed GK Output 13pin female Jack)
* Yamaha G1D (due to recessed GK Output 13pin female Jack)
* Axon AIX-101 (due to recessed GK Output 13pin female Jack)

The following products are compatible with the right angle 13pin DIN Plug:

* Roland GR-20 GK Input
* Roland GR-30 GK Input
* Roland GR-33 GK Input
* Roland GR-55 GK Input
* Boss GP-10 GK Input
* Fender/ Roland Ready Strat GK Output Jack
* Fender/ Roland GC-1 Strat GK Output Jack
* Brian Moore iGuitar GK Output Jack
* Carvin Synth Access  GK Output Jack
* Gittler Guitar  GK Output Jack

and these Godin models are also compatible (however the right angle plug blocks one of the other adjacent 1/4" Output Jacks):

* Godin xTSA
* Godin LGX-SA
* Godin LGXT
* Godin Multiac

Pricing for the cables is as follows:
12 ft. length: $64.95
18 ft. length: $79.95
Shipping is $5.00 domestically by Priority Mail. International shipping will be quoted individually by country.

The cables will be available for purchase on the Gittler Instruments website as of Wednesday afternoon at www.gittlerinstruments.com
You may also e-mail me directly through the VG Forums and I can issue a Paypal Invoice.
Delivery is about 3 weeks and we are right on schedule.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions and hope to get a cable into your hands soon!

sashua

Cables are now available for sale and have been upgraded (at no additional cost) based on your suggestions.

Look here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11647.0

sashua

Cable now ready for order at www.gittlerinstruments.com or PM me!

sashua

Available NOW for purchase at www.gittlerinstruments.com or PM me.

thebrushwithin

Tried to purchase one, was able to select the 12ft. Option, but could not find a way to put it in a cart and buy it.

rolandvg99

Quote from: thebrushwithin on July 07, 2014, 11:30:07 AM
Tried to purchase one, was able to select the 12ft. Option, but could not find a way to put it in a cart and buy it.

Also had problems ordering. Wouldn't calculate shipping.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

sashua

Sorry,
Will sort this out with site maintenance and it will be fixed by tomorrow.

sashua

Odd,
I just tried it myself and it worked just fine.
Maybe give it another shot and if it fails then just PM or E-mail me and I'll send you a Paypal request.

Anyone else? I expected that there would be a lot of interest considering the demand I have seen for this over the years. I think we have 5 orders so far, all told  ???

rolandvg99

Quote from: sashua on July 07, 2014, 03:00:04 PM
Odd,
Maybe give it another shot and if it fails then just PM or E-mail me and I'll send you a Paypal request.

Anyone else? I expected that there would be a lot of interest considering the demand I have seen for this over the years. I think we have 5 orders so far, all told  ???

PM and e-mail sent as I still can't get the site to calculate shipping to No(r)way.

thebrushwithin

Still no "add to cart", but I am trying this with an iPad, so I'll try with a laptop.

rolandvg99

Quote from: thebrushwithin on July 07, 2014, 06:51:17 PM
Still no "add to cart", but I am trying this with an iPad, so I'll try with a laptop.

Doesn't work using an iPad. Mac or PC required.

Virtual Madness

Quote from: sashua on July 07, 2014, 03:00:04 PM
Odd,

Don't be discouraged sashua, it's early in the game and a lot of VGer's probably haven't seen this yet. I would order a few of them RIGHT NOW, but I'm out of work, and the money is too low to do anything but pay bills.

As soon as I'm back on my feet though, I WILL be ordering a few of these.  :)
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!