GR-55 - modern synth sounds

Started by sheguitarplayer, March 16, 2011, 03:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheguitarplayer

Hi guys.
Im looking to create some synth patches for more modern sounds.
A good example would be Rihannas 'Only girl in the world' (That big swirly synth sound in the chorus.)
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what sort of pcm and fx would give that trancey sound?
Just dont really know where to start.
Ive always used guitar synth (GR30 and 33)in the past for piano and the occasional pad sounds with my guitar. This unit seems like it can do so much more.

Gastric

I would start with an initialized patch, then solo through a single PCM using the tones clearly labeled "dance" or "rave" etc.  Most of those are fairly thick and layered and should give a good foundation for what you're looking for. If it's too dark try increasing filter cutoff and/or resonance. Then you can layer in another PCM voice to thicken it further, or to add the octave down bass lines. Then sprinkle in delay, verb, and chorus top taste.

I've been working on some modern and 80's bass synth patches as I play bass. There's a lot of totally usable dance type PCM sounds in there. I'm surprised there weren't any factory patches demoing them.

sheguitarplayer

Thanks very much Gastric. Will give them a spin.