NGD- SG with P-90's

Started by Mrchevy, July 12, 2015, 10:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrchevy

Well, at the risk of divorce, I picked up "just one more" guitar on Friday. Been wanting to add the P-90 sound to the collection and since I was also looking at adding an SG, I killed 2 birds with one stone. Nothing fancy but plays and sounds fantastic. It's the Gibson 50's tribute SG Prototype. ( and yes, I know the SG didn't come till 61). It's just Gibson being silly with the marketing (surprise). Either way, it's a great guitar. Might even throw a GK3 on it once the honeymoon is over.

By the way, I told the wife I was going to the store to pick up some strings. FYI, the fact that the strings came with a guitar attached to them didn't fly. Beautiful tones now coming from the dog house out back.  ;D
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Elantric

Congratulations!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10208.0

here's  mine

Black  = 2013 Gibson 50's tribute with Tronical Tune and Stestbar

White  = genuine 1961 Gibson SG Special, currently with a Schaller Bridge, as this model originally came with a 1957 LP Junior stye angle bar bridge

Its one of my oldest guitars, had it since 1970, then in 1972  - I stripped it to clear lacquer then had it restored to White and added extended fretboard when I worked at Valley Arts Guitar in early 1980's

Here I am in 1973 - age 18 with my Plush Tube Twin and Fender Dual Showman cab

Chumly

Great for you and don't worry about the other half, they have their vices too what with pumps, purses, panties & petticoats. Which reminds me, I recently purchased am SG Futura Vintage Gloss Brilliant Red.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Mrchevy

Steve, read thru your SG thread. Didn't realize you had one of these 50's tributes. Mine doesn't have the auto tune thingy. It is also a 2013 and has the "prototype" stamped in the back of the head. So once they have been all gone and sold, it will be worth thousands  ;) ;D. Did the Kent Armstrong Stealth-90 Noiseless pickups you put on yours, sound any different than the ones that came with it, other than the noise? Incidentally, I have found no flaws on this one, must have been a good day at Gibson.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Tek

Very nice Mr. Chevy!

And BTW, Mrs. Tek says the VGuitar wives need their own section of the forum-  :'(

Mrchevy

That could be, would be, dangerous. Much like an AA counselor at a keg party or a Vegetarian at a meat packers convention.  ;D
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Tek

Quote from: Mrchevy on July 13, 2015, 05:06:24 AM
That could be, would be, dangerous. Much like an AA counselor at a keg party or a Vegetarian at a meat packers convention.  ;D

Absolutely!

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Tek on July 12, 2015, 07:39:03 PM
Very nice Mr. Chevy!

And BTW, Mrs. Tek says the VGuitar wives need their own section of the forum-  :'(

That could get very interesting ;D

Elantric

QuoteMrs. Tek says the VGuitar wives need their own section of the forum-

We already have that in a round about manner, as they can reconcile the latest bank activity with Deal Alerts  announced here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3207.0

Tek

Quote from: Elantric on July 13, 2015, 09:20:01 AM
We already have that in a round about manner, as they can reconcile the latest bank activity with Deal Alerts  announced here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3207.0

Ah yes, I better just keep that little bit of information to myself...  ;D

slooky

Quote from: Mrchevy on July 12, 2015, 10:22:42 AM
Well, at the risk of divorce, I picked up "just one more" guitar on Friday. Been wanting to add the P-90 sound to the collection and since I was also looking at adding an SG, I killed 2 birds with one stone. Nothing fancy but plays and sounds fantastic. It's the Gibson 50's tribute SG Prototype. ( and yes, I know the SG didn't come till 61). It's just Gibson being silly with the marketing (surprise). Either way, it's a great guitar. Might even throw a GK3 on it once the honeymoon is over.

By the way, I told the wife I was going to the store to pick up some strings. FYI, the fact that the strings came with a guitar attached to them didn't fly. Beautiful tones now coming from the dog house out back.  ;D

LOL Someone should write a book on "how to buy gear without the wife knowing" One trick I did, went to the store to trade in old gear and came out with new gear, "didn't cost me anything" Trade straight up and she believed it. Whew !