VG-99 USB problem

Started by Marcus Sawyer, October 07, 2012, 02:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus Sawyer

Ok, lets see if i can Explain myself thoroughly and rule out the most common reasons my VG_99 isn't working.  I spent about 5 hours last night on this.

After moving my office and computer, I set up my VG-99 and plugged it in.  At this point i have not used my VG-99 since i moved, and the last time i did use it, it worked fine.  Definition of fine=i was able to hear myself playing through the unit, was able to make changes to the patches, was able to backup my g9e files, and use everything on the unit AS INTENDED.

After plugging in the USB, (computer indeed recognized it and made a sound), and opening my editor, there is no sound coming out of the computer.  I checked the connection to the midi cable, yees it was plugged into the GK-3, yes the volume was up, yes i was indeed receiving signal because i opened the tuner in the editor and could see that the signal was there and i could tune my guitar.

after power cycling the unit and disconnecting the cables and power cycling and restarting the computer several times, the unit was still not working.   I do not understand why it just suddenly decided that after the time i spent to GET it working it decides to just NOT work out of the blue... but i digress.

I proceed to google this problem, and search the small knowledgebase on the net for this unit, and guess what? it leads me here every time, brent and elantric should be on the roland payroll because you are the only two that ever have solutions to vg-99 problems.

I then wondered if maybe i was running an inappropriate version of the editor/librarian, but then i got to reading about all this stuff and figured, just WIPE everything and start fresh.

So i uninstalled the editor and librarian, and also the driver.  and followed the instructions elantric had for an install on windows 7-64.   

it still doesn't work, the computer recognizes vg-99,  the signal is going through, everything installed correctly as far as i can tell, but when i launched the editor for the first time (i wiped and re-installed a total of 5 times)  i get a message saying i need to configure the midi setup.  Which i did 5 times.

i even thought maybe i should configure the midi in the librarian for the editor to work.

from what i remember about the unit working before, i was able to, with only a USB connection, edit, hear, and play through the computer with no problems.

i also thought maybe the FC-300 is messing with it.  maybe the editor doesn't work or act right with the FC-300 plugged in. 

I literally have NO IDEA what the problem is at this point, and it really sucks because i'm a busy guy these days and time to spend on fine tuning patches is not time i have a lot of, so instead of getting any work done, i spent it troubleshooting a problem that to my knowledge was non-existant, and nothing that i can think of changed from moving the computer from one place to the new place.

any help is appreciated, but i've been through the latest walkthroughs here on the forums and nothing worked.  is this new windows 7 -64 driver borq'd? is there something i can do? or is it time i brick this thing and get a fractal?  don't get me wrong i love the unit a lot, but the things you have to do to get this damn thing to work is pretty crazy.   it's much easier to edit on the PC than navigate on a 3 inch LED screen.   If i can't edit on the pc i might as well have a floor unit.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Elantric

Seems many folks want to connect the VG-99 via USB to a computer and naturally expect the sound to emerge from the Computer speakers.

It doesn't work that way, and those who try are met with a very frustrating experience.

The Official concept of the VG-99 is explained fully in the owners manual.

When you use the VG-99 USB Audio Driver, the VG-99 becomes your computer "sound card" and if its running a Microsoft OS - you MUST go to the Windows Control Panel, find the VG-99 Audio control icon, double click and enable the VG-99 "Advanced Mode"  - this enables the Steinberg ASIO low latency audio driver.

Connect Powered Speakers directly to the VG-99.

Get latest drivers here

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/849/support/

And Be sure to read the "READ ME"  installation Guide inside the Roland USB Driver zip file

Marcus Sawyer

I don't have a stock card, i'm running through the M-Audio Projectmix I/O, not the best interface, but it should be able to handle this fine.  What i do not understand is why it worked before, but now nothing.

Elantric

If it worked before, it was probably because the VG-99 USB Audio Driver "Advanced Mode" was not checked in its control panel - which then employs the VG-99 Microsoft "Wave IN / "Wave Out" driver -  but you get horrendous long latency when you use those drivers,  but it does allow you to use the VG-99 as input, then the M-Audio interface as the Audio output.

If you do not have DAW "ASIO aware" software (Reaper, Cubase, Ableton, Live, PreSonus Studio One, etc) up and running  -  you will never "see" the VG-99 ASIO Driver.

On Windows PCs with ASIO Drivers,  you get to use only one audio interface at a time when using the low latency ASIO driver. (which is the only method I suggest all serious VG-99  / GR-55 users running Windows employ) -and the same hardware you use as the Audio input source must also be assigned as the  Output destination to drive your speakers.

Please re-read the attached PDF - its crucial information all VG-99 owners running Windows 7 64 must understand. (the HTML source is the "Read ME" folder in the Roland USB driver zip file)

This document is available by clicking "READ ME" during the VG-99 USB Driver installation (see pic)

--
And FWIW - ASIO4ALL is not a workable solution - Yes I know its hyped all over the web, but the reality is that its not as efficient and a True ASIO Driver.

But hey, if you have no regard for playing in time with your music (as will occur upon playback of your non ASIO recordings) - go ahead and use alternate drivers.

And i will add, Apple Macintoshs running OSX do not use ASIO - instead they use Core Audio drivers - thats a whole different enchilada - and OSX DOES allow separate and multiple Audio Interfaces to run at the same time.