GR55 Midi foot Controller FCB1010 or GT 3,5,6,8,10 ?

Started by solo624, April 30, 2016, 09:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solo624

I'm sure if its on the board here somewhere or previous . So if you can answer please point me in the proper direction or even answer a few of my questions that would be great .  I want to start tweaking some my patches with GR55 using a midi Foot controller like a stomp box so I haven't purchased anything so this is new for me. Maybe you can help me selecting and by answering some questions?I am new to MIDI though but I get the concept of how these devices will communicate just not sure what to buy ? Ultimately I am cheap.

1-Do I purchase a GT 3,5,6,8,10 and control the GR55 via MIDI port cable ?
2-Are there differences in the MIDI features (commands limitations ) per GT 3,5,6,8,10 etc? limitations of patch assignments ?
3-Can you select ALL features in the GR55 using the GT devices ? which GT device is better to choice ?
4-Can you control all 8 assigns and Modeling and EXP at once on a patch or only 4 Assigns or less limited ?
5-Other than the GT100 video on youtube are there any videos showing this ability ?
6-FCB1010 is it limitless and the better choice for all assignments ?
7-In the end it will be a stomp box setup

Thank you kindly
Harvey
solo624@msn.com

sixeight

I think an FCB1010 with the UNO chip will give you all you need. The UNO chip gives you five stompbox switches. You will also have five switches to change patches. In the GR55 you have 8 assigns. Five you will need for the stompbox switches. Two you will need for the expression pedals. That leaves one available for a double assignment or otherwise. There is so much stuff you can do with an assign. I always wished the GR55 and GP10 had more...

solo624

OK insightful.  So if I translate this correctly  you can have 5 patches with 5 assigns per patch ? You can't select 8 assigns with the FCB1010 ? (this is what I'm trying to figure out). Is there any Youtube clips ? Please point the way. I was not aware on 2 EXP pedals (Wah , EXP or Wah , Vol ?) Can you have Wah & EXP for every patch (guessing it needs to be enabled)?

Are you experienced with attaching a GT pedal to do similar 8 assigns however its not a necessity just I want to make 1 purchase for a controller. Currently I use the software & computer and it just inconvenient.

Thank you ,
Harvey 

Mrchevy

Hey Harvey, I tried to post this link on the youtube discussion for you but it didn't want to seem to link to the page. I did this entirely with the GR55 and GT100 all in one take, no multi tracking. just a taste of what they can do together.  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6432.msg44208#msg44208
Listen to the mp3. in my first post of the thread
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

solo624

Mrchevy

Badass totally cool & sounds great ! Thanks for sharing!

sixeight

QuoteAre you experienced with attaching a GT pedal

No I do not have a GT pedal.

Some more info on the FCB1010 to get you on the way:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=32.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3978.0

Mrchevy

Judging from our conversation and comments/questions you've made, I'm gonna take a stab at what you are trying to do. I'm gonna take a guess that you like pink floyd/gilmour, and that you like to play and create along that style of music. Here are my comments and sugestions.....

1. The GR55, which I assume you already have, is a great tool for a solo guitarist because you can add so much more to your music than just effects to your guitar. aka. keyboards, synth, numerous instruments, drums, loops, alternate tuning, amp/guitar sims, guitar effects. It is a jack of all trades BUT a master of none. It's short comings are-- limited editing of PCM tones, limited looping capabilities, limited guitar effects and signal routing, and of course, limited on board controls of all it CAN do. Which brings us to your main question at hand, a controller.

2. A controller, whether it is a dedicated controller (FCB1010, FC300, etc,) or a MFX pedal like the Boss GT series or Line 6 HD series, or any higher end MFX pedal with control features, will likely give you all the additional controls you need for the GR55.

3. The differences..... a controller will ONLY give you additional controls for the GR55. More than you would likely ever need. A MFX pedal like the GT or HD, will give you most all the additional controls you would likely need PLUS, all the more advanced guitar effects, amp models, modulation effects, signal routing to use with, or to add to, the GR55 features that are missing or limited. You will also still have 2 expression pedals to work with.

Without knowing exactly what you want to do with your music, its hard to pinpoint what to recommend but based on what you have asked, I would suggest the GT100 MFX pedal. This is a personal preference for a MFX pedal. I did not like the line 6 HD500. The GT10( I have had this one also), is a good pedal but is a little more difficult to learn than the next generation GT100, which has been refined with a much easier to understand user interface and improved models and effects. I do not have personal experience with the GT series prior to the GT10, but they all had similar features. If you can afford the GT100, that would be my suggestion, if it is out of your price range, then I would look at the GT10 as a second option but will be a bit of a learning curve. Either way, i think a MFX pedal with control features would be a more beneficial compliment to the GR55 than a dedicated controller.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

solo624

I'm easy going and laid back I basically would like to know how many controls vary between the GT series Pedal boards 3,5,6,8,10 vs the FCB1010 Midi Controller . I'm in the market . I'm just curious if anyone has experienced both and could tell me if you can control the similar or same or even less controls with the GT series as the FCB1010. Theres a MIDI controller feature in the pedal boards that can manipulate many devices but would like to know if it can 1 or 2,3,4, or 8 different features and or EXP in patch or throughout or act as a slave to the GR55 or VG99 etc . Sorry for previous post with lack of info.

Mr Chevy thank you for the input. I wish more people would show there experiences like you have . Personally I started with the GT10 and BR800 and now the GR55. I was just looking for the best of all worlds . However not many people can share there experiences or I haven't found yet.  Personally I just don't like spending more than I have to or just want all the bells and whistles without having to upgrade so quickly. Or I want the Flexibility of controlling patches .

In the end I see the FCB1010 has a vast amount of switching ability I just checking on the GT pedals series differences if it matches or not at all  . If I can spend 50 dollars an achieve the ability I'm going to spend 50 dollars . I hope this made sense. However with several hours of researching several forums there is no easy answer just people going to different devices.

Mrchevy

I will also give a quick explanation on the assigns. The GR55 has 8 assigns. All 8 in each patch, can each be set to do different things from turning on/off effects, increase/derease the gain of one effect or amp sim, increase/decrease the delay effects, change a PCM tone, etc. These are called the TARGETS. All 8 assigns can be set to be controlled from 1 control or multiple controls, also called the SOURCE. If you need all 8 assigns to change at one time than you can set the SOURCE as CTL then when you step on CTL, all 8 assigns do what you programmed them to do. If you want a CTL to change only 3 of the 8, you set the CTL as the SOURCE for those 3 assigns and a different SOURCE or SOURCES such as a second CTL, the EXP PDL, EXP PDL SWITCH,, etc., to control the remaining assigns. If you look at the assigns source list, that will tell you what you have to work with for SOURCE controls. With the GT100 or any other additional controller, the SOURCES in those can be set to control the TARGETS in the GR55 also. It will work both ways also in that the GR55 controls can make changes in the GT100. it just depends on how you set up the MIDI. You can keep it simple or get very complex. Hopefully that gives you a better idea of how the assigns work.
Quote from: solo624 on May 01, 2016, 07:47:46 PM

In the end I see the FCB1010 has a vast amount of switching ability I just checking on the GT pedals series differences if it matches or not at all  . If I can spend 50 dollars an achieve the ability I'm going to spend 50 dollars . I hope this made sense. However with several hours of researching several forums there is no easy answer just people going to different devices.

It all depends on what you want to do with your music and sound. Some people only want a comp pedal in front of their amp for their sound. Me, I like to use effects and big sounds and experiment with all kinds of stuff. I have yet to use all the potential the GR55 and GT100 combination has to offer both with features and control capability and honestly I doubt I ever will. I think you'll be fine for a long time with just the 2. I guarantee you will not find a more informative forum for this stuff or a better group of people than right here at the vguitar forum. Most here are very knowledgeable and experienced musicians, engineers, programmers, and just plain guitar geeks, and are always willing to help, however, most will also give brief comments and just give a link to the posted questions already explained elsewhere in the forum, or based on experience, may suggest alternative devices to get you the results you want. Don't get discouraged, get into it  ;) If this forum was a book, it would be thicker than the 17,000 page U.S. tax code.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones