I Dream of Wireless: Two Crowd-funded Accessories Make Music Without Cables

Started by Elantric, September 26, 2013, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/09/dream-wireless-two-crowd-funded-accessories-make-music-without-cables/

Sep 26 2013
I Dream of Wireless: Two Crowd-funded Accessories Make Music Without Cables

by Peter Kirn

There are still many situations in which cables have some advantages for control, as we saw in this week's tutorial on iPad connections. But two separate crowd-funded projects are working on high-performance wireless solutions for music controllers. That could open up the chance for performers to move around, take advantage of tilt sensors and other location tools inside controllers, and work with gear in studio situations more flexibly.

Keith McMillen already has a track record using crowd funding to support projects – and they've been getting better at it. After the "3D" grid-and-ribbon QuNeo suffered production delays, the keyboard-style QuNexus shipped quickly to backers – and the QuNeo continued to mature as a product. Now, the QuNeo is getting an accessory called the Rogue (not to be confused with the Moog synth of the same name), an add-on that adds extended battery life and wireless connections.

The whole thing attaches via velcro, lasts 12 hours, and uses the 2.45GHz wireless band (not the crowded WiFi spectrum) to make connections. US$315-400 gets you the Rogue, with a QuNeo added in if you don't already own one for $405-500.

KMI tells us they've just gotten a production prototype back:

Funding is on IndieGogo:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/quneo-rogue-wireless-midi-controller-accessory

Then there's the PUC,

For a more general-purpose accessory, there's the PUC, scene in the video above. In lab tests, at least, they've gotten stunningly-low latencies between hardware, as illustrated in a video:

The PUC is US$129 – a reasonable price for a wireless adapter, especially given what iOS accessories cost. What's nice about the design is that it allows easy connections between iPad and traditional MIDI gear, without all the combinations of dongles. The hardware runs with USB power or via a couple of AA batteries. The project is the work of a Minneapolis-based team of mobile developers. (They work on Android, too, but it appears initially PUC is iOS-only. It'd be especially nice to see Mac/Windows/Linux support.)

In a refreshing departure for crowd funding projects, the team are giving early backers a steep discount on pricing – rather than charging them full freight and making them wait. That lowers the price to as little as US$79, with delivery due in December.

I'm surprised the project hasn't been more successful, I think owing to the low profile of the developers. The campaign runs through the 9th of October on IndieGogo (which also seems to be generating less money than Kickstarter, perhaps also because of a lower profile).

PUC: Free your MIDI from the tyranny of wires! The only solution for MIDI & iOS
Looks promising, though with any of these projects, there's a risk on the hardware until you have it in-hand.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/puc-free-your-midi-from-the-tyranny-of-wires-the-only-solution-for-midi-ios

The KMI gear seems a safe bet – modest goals, unique wireless band, and a track record. But the PUC's broader utility makes it just as interesting, too. We'll be watching.

Any of you who have worked on similar projects, we'd love to hear from you – and to hear about what challenges these projects may face, or what opportunities they have.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/09/dream-wireless-two-crowd-funded-accessories-make-music-without-cables/

Elantric

The PUC Holds more interest to me, as I could use it with my YRG GenII to Drive IOS Synths wirelessly
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6204.msg42614#msg42614

Other threads of interest
How to Use the iPad for Music Control: Cables, Wireless, MIDI, OSC
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.msg68794#msg68794

The WiGig Serial Extension (WSE) v1.2 specification from the Wi-Fi Alliance  tech holds a lot of promise, Maybe it could be used for a GK-Wireless solution

Is WIRELESS GK3 PICKUP possible?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2588.msg68278#msg68278

The WiGig Serial Extension (WSE) v1.2 specification from the Wi-Fi Alliance® will provide the initial foundation for the Media Agnostic USB specification.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/usb-if-wi-fi-media-agnostic-ma-use-spec,24200.html
There's a new USB spec in development allowing the USB protocol and speeds over a wireless connection.

The non-profit USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) announced on Monday (pdf) the development of the new Media Agnostic USB (MA USB) that aims to enable wireless devices and docking stations to communicate over the USB protocol without the need for a physical, wired connection. The spec is also shooting to achieve wireless gigabit transfer rates while using the existing USB infrastructure.
http://www.usb.org/press/USB-IF_Press_Releases/USB_WSE_Tech_Bulletin_FINAL.pdf

The USB-IF group said this week that the WiGig Serial Extension (WSE) v1.2 specification from the Wi-Fi Alliance will provide the initial foundation for the new MA USB specification. The WSE specification has been formally transferred to the USB-IF from the Wi-Fi Alliance, and the WSE specification already incorporates the USB protocol.

Wireless devices using the MA USB spec will be compliant with USB 3.1, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, meaning the devices will use existing drivers and APIs.The WiGig spec can achieve several times the speed of Wi-Fi, up to 7 Gbps, by accessing the unlicensed 60 GHz frequencies within a short range like the bedroom or den. WiGig became a part of the Wi-Fi Alliance at the beginning of the year.

The non-profit USB-IF group has also established an MA USB Work Group that is currently developing the MA USB v1.0 spec, which can supposedly use any kind of wireless system including WiGig, Wi-Fi and UWB (Ultrawide Band). This development will take around a year to complete, and then likely another year before devices with wireless USB technology will appear on the market. Work on wireless USB began sometime around 2004.

"We are pleased to see the USB-IF use the WiGig Serial Extension in its development of the Media Agnostic USB specification," said Edgar Figueroa, president and CEO of Wi-Fi Alliance. "Advanced wireless usages of serial bus technology have the potential to deliver great benefit to users."

News of the new spec arrives after the Wi-Fi Alliance revealed new WiGig CERTIFIED branding on Sunday for certified products entering the market as soon as next year. Unlike the current dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi spec which operates on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands, these devices will operate on the 60 GHz frequency band as previously stated. This allows for low-latency traffic, multi-gigabit speed and secured connectivity between nearby devices.

"In addition to developing a certification program to validate product interoperability, Wi-Fi Alliance has initiated several projects to address 60 GHz implementations of data, display, and audio applications," the group stated. "Newly-formed cooperative relationships with other industry organizations will also help ensure delivery of the best user experience with a variety of applications on WiGig CERTIFIED products."

WiGig CERTIFIED and Wi-Fi CERTIFIED products are expected to implement USB functionality, the group said.

merman93

Have any forum members took the plunge on PUC wireless Midi?

I am looking to send midi control data for patch changes and expression pedal, which isn't as bandwidth clogging as trying to send 6 channels of data, ( triple play does some serious magic). It seems Puc will work with my Mac setup, and obviously IOS.

All the other wireless midi boxes seem to be discontinued or too expensive, MidiAir, AirPower etc.

Just looking for actual "first hand" knowledge. It's only $130.00 so probably check it out anyway.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9878.msg70879#msg70879
Dont forget about this one from Andras Szalay (inventor of  Axon / Fishman TriplePlay)
Panda Audio MIDI BEAM
http://www.panda-audio.com/midibeam.php

http://pandamidi.com/

Wireless MIDI Interface by Andras Szalay
The midiBeam wireless MIDI interface connects your MIDI instrument (or any source) to your synthesizer or computer through radio waves, without any cable connection. There are at least two typical applications where it has obvious advantages:

If you have a battery powered mobile MIDI instrument you will be free to move around the stage without any cable if you use midiBeam. You can use a mobile keyboard hanging in your neck from Roland, Casio, etc., or a wind controller, like the AKAI EWI 4000s or the Yamaha WX5. (or YRG Guitar, Casio MG-510 MIDI Guitar,etc)
If you are fed up with the many cables hanging around in your studio, you can reduce the number of cables if you use midiBeam. Unlike other wireless MIDI solutions midiBeam is a very cost efficient replacement for a MIDI cable, while the delay latency is perfectly negligible, just about 10% of other wireless solutions.
Price: 99.90 EUR   
For the technical details of midiBeam wireless MIDI interface click here.
http://www.panda-audio.com/mb-description.php

Description
The midiBeam system consists of two boxes, TX02 and RX02.

Attached to the instrument is the TX02 transmitter, powered by two AAA batteries. It is a small plastic box, with an LED and one pushbutton on the top for "PAIRING". The MIDI plug is hanging on one end of a short cable. The TX02 can be attached to the instrument by Velcro tape.

The RX02 receiver is powered through the mini USB socket either from a computer or from a USB power supply. It has an LED and a "PAIRING" pushbutton as well. The MIDI output is provided either through USB or the DIN MIDI Output socket. There is a DIN MIDI Input socket as well; if the device has no radio connection then it functions as a standard MIDI Interface to a computer. No special driver installation is necessary.

Radio connection is established between a pair of devices automatically on one of 76 radio channels by using the pairing buttons on both units. This means that up to 76 systems can coexist at one location.

The radio transmission is using the 2.4 GHz band that is free for public use all over the world. Radio power is programmable in four increments.

The transmitter can power off automatically, if it is not used for a certain time. Programmable options are 10, 30, 60 minutes or no power off.

Technical specifications
Size:
TX02: 63 x 48 x 15 mm, 2.5 x 1.9 x 0.6in
RX02: 83 x 54 x 31 mm, 3.2 x 2.1 x 1.2in

Weight:
TX02:   36g (without batteries),
   59g (with batteries)
RX02:   58g
Power:
TX02: 2 x AAA batteries
RX02: through USB socket

Transmitter battery lifetime:
66 hours (1)

Visible warning of low battery voltage:
At about 10% battery capacity.

Auto power off:
Programmable to 10, 30, 60 minutes
or no power off.

Radio range:
Typically 250 meters open air, line of sight(1)

Radio band:
2.4 GHz, 76 channels

Radio power:
Programmable in 4 steps.

Latency:
0.38 milliseconds (2)

Error correction:
No hanging notes even at the limit of range.

Device pairing:
Automatic on one of 76 radio channels.

Software:
Upgradable on both devices.

(1) At the highest radio power setting.
There are 4 programmable radio power settings.
Premium quality alkaline batteries used.

(2) From end of Note On at the input of TX02
until start of Note On at the output of RX02.

whippinpost91850

Elantric

No  - but its the one i would get if I needed one

Same wireless technology as FTP

and only $99 Euros!

whippinpost91850

Am I reading that right? .38 milliseccond of latency... 1/3rd a miilisecond seems very fast

Elantric

QuoteAm I reading that right? .38 milliseccond of latency... 1/3rd a miilisecond seems very fast
Thats correct  - sending data via wireless takes very little time

The 25-35 ms latency on FTP takes place in the Guitar to MIDI conversion routine.

Of course the Panda Wireless MIDI product is - a whole different enchilada and does not perform that function
its  simply a MIDI Data  transport mechanism. 

whippinpost91850

Cool I may just give this a shot with my new all-in-one KPA-GR55-CLR rig. As soon as I figure out how to remotely switch the  Gr55 pedal and pedal switch

merman93

That is awesome!!!! I love how my FTP works, and am interested in supporting Andras efforts.
This is exactly what I'm needing!!! I can add one to midi out of my pedalboard, and another to midi in connection on other side of room.

Thanks so much for the info!!!
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/30977-DIY-description-converting-almost-any-MIDI-footswitch-wireless/
120dBRockNRoll wrote>

converting almost any MIDI footswitch wireless
Oct 11th 2016+10

Based on my experience building my own wireless two-way footswitch here is a description for converting almost any MIDI footswitch wireless.
I use the described setup on larger stages as well as in the rehearsal room without any problems, it's totally reliable.

There are two versions: one-way and two-way wireless MIDI.
In most cases one-way communication might be enough, it's possible to send MIDI commands from the footswitch to the Kemper to choose rigs or switch effects.
Two-way communication might be interesting if your footswitch supports to show the tuner on it's display (for me this seems to be the only reasonable application).

Besides the components list this is just a quite rough description... anyway you should have at least basic soldering skills and basic knowledge about electronic components.
I give absolutely no guarantee for the following to be complete or correct, also not for any damage of your devices or your health.

You have to know what you're doing!

I bought all components at Thomann, eBay and Amazon. They might be available at any other store, of course.

Components for one-way-communication (tuner can not be displayed on footswitch)

- 1x panda-audio midiBeam
- 1x MIDI cable (short ~50cm)
- 8x Eneloop Pro AA battery (+suitable charger)
- 1x battery holder for 8 AA batteries with clip-connector
- 1x clip-connector for battery holder
- 1x ABS case 111x91x43mm
- 2x LM2596S DC-DC step-down module (4-35V input, 1.23-30V output, 3A max.), in case your MIDI footswitch works in a wide voltage range only 1 module might be necessary and you can skip some of the described steps
- 1x IA53-JL mini LED voltage meter (3.3-30V)
- 1x mini switch on/off
- 2x alligator clip (very small ones)
- 1x power-cable that fits power input of your MIDI footswitch
- 1x USB-charger/supply
- 1x USB to MiniUSB cable (short ~50cm)

Steps to do at footswitch site:

01. Find out how the following components fit best in the ABS case and fix them: battery holder (incl. batteries), step-down modules, mini switch, LED voltage meter
02. Solder (+) of the battery clip-connector to input of the mini switch
03. Solder output (+) of the mini switch to input (+) of the step-down modules
04. Solder (-) of the battery clip-connector to input (-) of the step-down modules
05. Connect the 100% charged battery pack to the clip-connector
06. Use a voltage/multimeter to adjust output of the first step-down module to 3V
07. Use a voltage/multimeter to adjust output of the second step-down module to the necessary voltage of your MIDI footswitch
07. Solder suitable cable to (+) and (-) output of the first step-down module, on the other end solder alligator clips
08. Use the alligator clips to connect this cable to (+) and (-) inside the battery compartment of the midiBeam transmitter (watch polarity!)
09. Solder power-cable for your MIDI footswitch to (+) and (-) output of the second step-down module (watch polarity!)
10. Solder (+) cable of the LED voltage meter to output (+) of the mini switch
11. Solder (-) cable of the LED voltage meter to (-) of the battery clip-connector
12. Connect MIDI in of midiBeam transmitter to MIDI out of your footswitch

Steps to do at Kemper site:

01. Use USB to MiniUSB cable to connect USB-charger/supply to power input of midiBeam receiver
02. Use MIDI cable to connect midiBeam receiver MIDI out to Kemper MIDI in

Power on all devices, press "pair" on midiBeam transmitter and receiver.
If everything went fine, your wireless MIDI footswitch is ready to go!

Components for two-way-communication (tuner can be displayed on footswitch, if supported)

- 2x panda-audio midiBeam
- 2x MIDI cable (short ~50cm)
- 8x Eneloop Pro AA battery (+suitable charger)
- 1x battery holder for 8 AA batteries with clip-connector
- 1x clip-connector for battery holder
- 1x ABS case 111x91x43mm
- 3x LM2596S DC-DC step-down module (4-35V input, 1.23-30V output, 3A max.), in case your MIDI footswitch works in a wide voltage range only 2 modules might be necessary and you can skip some of the described steps
- 1x IA53-JL mini LED voltage meter (3.3-30V)
- 1x mini switch on/off
- 4x alligator clip (very small ones)
- 1x power-cable that fits power input of your MIDI footswitch
- 1x USB-charger/supply
- 2x USB to MiniUSB cable (short ~50cm)
- 1x power supply with 3V DC output

Steps to do at footswitch site:

01. Find out how the following components fit best in the ABS case and fix them: battery holder (incl. batteries), step-down modules, mini switch, LED voltage meter
02. Solder (+) of the battery clip-connector to input of the mini switch
03. Solder output (+) of the mini switch to input (+) of the step-down modules
04. Solder (-) of the battery clip-connector to input (-) of the step-down modules
05. Connect the 100% charged battery pack to the clip-connector
06. Use a voltage/multimeter to adjust output of the first step-down module to 3V
07. Use a voltage/multimeter to adjust output of the second step-down module to 5V
08. Use a voltage/multimeter to adjust output of the third step-down module to the necessary voltage of your MIDI footswitch
09. Solder suitable cable to (+) and (-) output of the first step-down module (3V), on the other end solder alligator clips
10. Use the alligator clips to connect this cable to (+) and (-) inside the battery compartment of the midiBeam transmitter
11. Cut the USB A-connector of the MiniUSB cable, solder the part with the MiniUSB to (+) and (-) output of the second step-down module (5V, watch polarity! pin1=+5V, pin5=ground), then connect to power input of midiBeam receiver
12. Solder power-cable for your MIDI footswitch to (+) and (-) output of the third step-down module (watch polarity!)
13. Solder (+) cable of the LED voltage meter to output (+) of the mini switch
14. Solder (-) cable of the LED voltage meter to (-) of the battery clip-connector
15. Connect MIDI in of midiBeam transmitter to MIDI out of your footswitch
16. Use MIDI cable to connect MIDI out of midiBeam receiver to MIDI in of your footswitch

Steps to do at Kemper site:

01. Use USB to MiniUSB cable to connect USB-charger/supply to power input of midiBeam receiver
02. Use MIDI cable to connect midiBeam receiver MIDI out to Kemper MIDI in
03. Cut the plug of the 3V power supply and solder alligator clips to the cable's end
04. Use the alligator clips to connect this cable to (+) and (-) inside the battery compartment of the midiBeam transmitter (watch polarity!)
05. Connect MIDI in of midiBeam transmitter to Kemper MIDI out

Power on all devices, then press "pair" on midiBeam transmitter (footswitch site) and receiver (Kemper site).
After this press "pair" on midiBeam transmitter (Kemper site) and receiver (footswitch site).
If everything went fine, your wireless two-way MIDI footswitch is ready to go!

This is how the final result can look like (version with two-way communication):

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/30977-DIY-description-converting-almost-any-MIDI-footswitch-wireless/