KORG Gadget for iPad

Started by mbenigni, January 24, 2014, 11:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

DF400

Has anyone tried this iOS app? Seems to have good reviews and appears to cover some decent soft synth sounds. Also, is advertised at 25% off for a limited time (although still not cheap at $28.99)

montyrivers

It looks pretty exciting, I am just on the fence because it sequences for EDM which leads me to believe it's 4/4 or bust, also no tempo changes

montyrivers

People seem to like it so far.  If you buy it let me know if the sequencer supports tempo/timesignature change mid song

mbenigni

I've been sitting on the fence.  So far it seems like a lot of money for something I will probably only use occasionally.  I'm mainly interested in this as a virtual instrument to play live or route into another DAW e.g. Cubasis.  I think the people that will get their money's worth are those who want to work in Gadget exclusively, to build beats etc. with its own sequencer.  And while I really love the sound of maybe three or four of these synths, the rest are best suited to genres of music I don't engage with much.

Still might change my mind in a moment of weakness, though.  :)

supernicd

I bought it last week having the same reservations as you did (seems more geared at sequencing for electronica type genres).  But it is so fantastically well done that it is just a joy to play with.  I think it's a shining example of what an iPad music app should be like. And I have many. :)  The workflow is every bit as good as the graphics.  Since this is release one it will also get better with time, I hope (definitely would like Audiobus and IAA at a minimum). 

To montyrivers' question, it definitely supports mid-song time signature changes - you can set them for each scene.  As for tempo, you can change it on the fly during song playback, but I don't think there's a way to automate it, if that makes sense.

Caustic for iPad is a very similar app - actually probably has more features and comparable workflow.  It's less cost but is no where near the eye candy of the Korg app.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

mbenigni

@SuperNiCd, that's kind of good news and bad news all rolled into one.  Good news:  I was able to intuit just by looking at the screenshots (and despite the promo videos being pretty barebones) that usability would be great.  Bad news:  I'm surprised and a little shocked that it supports neither IAA nor AudioBus, considering the price and Korg's stature.  I'm sure it'll come soon, but still... weird.

Have you tried playing it with an external MIDI controller yet, and if so, how's the latency?  Complaints about latency were kind of the final straw that made me close the App Store without purchasing.

It does look like tons of fun, though; no getting around it.

supernicd

Yep, I feel good that IAA and AB will come.  But I agree it makes it kind of a tough sell for a $30 app.  But they are knocking $10 off for the intro sale.

I have hooked up an external controller to it - a CME Xkey.  I've had no issues with latency.  I am using the current gen iPad (5), and have probably not gone above about 6 gadgets at once yet.  Not sure if those are factors.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

Good to know re: latency.

Timing this purchase is tricky.  If I wait for IAA/ Audiobus, I'll probably wind up paying $40 instead of $30.  Unless I'm prepared to wait for the inevitable promotional discounts a few months after the fact.

Ah, who am I kidding?  I'll probably buy it tonight.   ::)

supernicd

Well, not trying to sway you either way but I am having a blast playing with it! :)
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

montyrivers

Thanks for the update Super.  I will consider this while I continue my waffling

supernicd

Version 1.02 was in my downloads this morning.  There are a ton of new improvements, and one of them is Audiobus.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

mbenigni

I got the news in an email this morning.  They've extended the 25% discount through March, too.  More tempting than ever.  But at the moment all of my spare time is consumed prepping for a (primarily) 50's and 60's rock and roll cover gig.  Worlds apart LOL.

jassy

The synths can be triggered from a external midi signal like i. e. Fishman tripleplay? or only can be played with the internal sequencer?

Elantric

QuoteThe synths can be triggered from a external midi signal like i. e. Fishman tripleplay? or only can be played with the internal sequencer?
Of course
https://itunes.apple.com/app/korg-gadget/id791077159
***A fusion of cutting-edge iOS technology; a mobile studio that continues to evolve ***
By connecting an external MIDI keyboard via the Camera Connection Kit, you can play the 15 synthesizers in Gadget from a real keyboard. A wide range of iOS music technology is also supported, including AudioCopy, and WIST. There's a roadmap for future updates that will add new gadgets and support audio tracks, further perfecting the system as a mobile music production studio. KORG Gadget will continue to evolve in support of serious mobile music-making

GovernorSilver

Quote from: montyrivers on January 25, 2014, 06:35:09 AM
People seem to like it so far.  If you buy it let me know if the sequencer supports tempo/timesignature change mid song

As noted, it does, and you can even do odd-time signatures and polyrythms (time signature is set per Scene, however, not per Gadget).

Composition in Gadget is a very fast process if you're comfortable with the piano roll paradigm.

GovernorSilver

Quote from: SuperNiCd on January 29, 2014, 09:06:51 AM
Caustic for iPad is a very similar app - actually probably has more features and comparable workflow.  It's less cost but is no where near the eye candy of the Korg app.

Caustic is indeed also nice, and includes a modular synth.  The developer also took the trouble of putting up long, detailed tutorial videos on Youtube, including one dedicated to the modular synth.  However, it cannot do time signatures other than 4/4.

Elantric

KORG Gadget for iPad is on sale, alongside KORG's other apps, through September 8th on the App Store for US$28.99 (instead of the usual $38.99).

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/09/korg-gadget-ipad-gets-serious-midi-new-slicer-samplers-ableton-export/

KORG Gadget for iPad Gets Serious, with MIDI, New Slicer-Samplers, and Ableton Export
BY PETER KIRN
gadget
Ableton alone can't take you mobile, apart from bringing your MacBook running Live on the bus. But now KORG is ready to take your Ableton Live work on the road. Apart from adding native Live set export to their electribe and electribe sampler, the new versions of KORG's iOS apps Gadget and iKaossilator do export, too.
And that's just one feature in the deceptively-named "1.03? release of KORG's Gadget.
Gadget is one of those apps that I've had to file under "wow, this looks cool but I've no time." As the name implies, you get a selection of synths and drum machines. Here's where having a newer iPad benefits you, too – the latest processor runs up to 20 at once. There's a 303-style bass, PCM and digital synths, virtual analog synths, semi-modulars, percussion synths, "wobble" and chip goodies. Then, you can either perform live with the lot or save patterns.
1.03 finally makes integrating that goodness easier, with MIDI input, Live export, and multitrack export, for starters:
taktile_gadget
MIDI input. You can connect MIDI devices for easier playability. KORG has wisely made their latest gear class-compliant, so that includes KORG keyboards – make the full-sized Taktile into a synth by adding an iPad, or going the other way, add a tiny nanoSERIES input for tactile control beyond the touchscreen. (And yes, that's a huge limitation of Native Instruments' pricey Komplete Kontrol keyboards we saw this week; they need a computer to function, so you essentially pay more for hardware that does less.) See the whole KORG controller lineup.
Export as Ableton Live sets. Each phrase and scene in Gadget now exports natively to an Ableton Live set with clips and scenes, respectively. You can transfer via Dropbox or iTunes File Sharing. And if you don't use Ableton –
Export as individual audio tracks. From Pro Tools or Maschine, that means another way of moving phrases and songs around. (It appears you'd have to leave one phrase per track in order to separate them, so it's not as convenient as Ableton Live, perhaps, by definition – but still very workable.)
Other enhancements: 64-bit, landscape. 1.03 also fixes an annoyance: you can now use landscape mode and not just portrait. It's also 64-bit native, bringing big performance gains on new Apple hardware.
gadget_ipad
There are also two new instruments:
Bilbao is a US$9.99 in-app sample player, with 16 one-shots and import:

Nice, but Abu Dabhi is I think more interesting – sample slicing and groove manipulation, also US$9.99:

– on top of 1.02?s addition of Audiobus, more. The last "minor" update brought Audiobus support, a better sequencer and UI, a beginners' guide, and more. It also has "Increased Japanese," which is always a good thing. See the what's new guide for all the specifics.

KORG has been releasing featured tracks from the community, too. Let's have a listen. (Maybe there are some CDM readers in the bunch?)

Gadget for iPad
The app is on sale, alongside KORG's other apps, through September 8th on the App Store for US$28.99 (instead of the usual $38.99).

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/korg-gadget/id791077159?mt=8
Description
The ultimate mobile synth collection on your iPad
KORG Gadget - the all-in-one music production studio

• Featured by Apple in the "Best New Apps"
• Achieved the #1 position*on the App Store* in the Top Paid Music App category
*USA, UK, Japan, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Australia, Canada, Sweden and much more!

KORG Gadget offers a collection of 15 different synthesizers and drum machines called "Gadgets", which you can freely combine to produce powerful electronic music.

*** A collection of fifteen Gadgets ***
Right from the beginning, KORG Gadget gives you 15 compact synthesizers and drum machines. Each Gadget possesses an irresistible presence and can function as the core of your electronic music productions. The parameters are carefully constructed to take you right to the sound that you want, and they're ideal for producing all forms of electronic music. Even if you don't play a musical instrument, no worries! Each synth offers a keyboard featuring a Scale function that makes it impossible to play wrong notes, combined with a sequencer that supports the function, Just download KORG Gadget to your iPad, and start exploring 15 Gadgets. Which will be your favorite?

*** Ideal track-making experience while on the go. Control two things at once. ***
For the most part, KORG Gadget uses the vertical orientation that makes the iPad easy to hold in one hand and is the most common style of interface on iOS devices. The screen of the iPad is divided vertically in two halves, allowing you to simultaneously control two types of content-"song creation" and "sound creation". by placing the current Gadget on the bottom of the screen while always showing the sequencing environment up top.-This ensures that your creative production flow is not interrupted. That's all you have to know. You'll enjoy the simple and intuitive sequencer, and experience track-making in an environment that's been perfectly optimized for mobile use, while retaining professional quality in everything from the effects to the mixer.

*** Capture ideas for your songs wherever you like. An ideal choice as a second DAW ***
If you run out of ideas while producing a song, try taking KORG Gadget somewhere that you find inspirational, like a cafe or your living room. Then create sounds or phrases with your favorite gadget and stock up on ideas. The data you create can be exported as audio data for a variety of uses. Even if you typically use a computer or sophisticated music production equipment, KORG Gadget is an ideal partner that will inspire you from a different perspective. KORG Gadget is also an ideal choice as a second DAW that's easy to take with you along anywhere.

*** Share songs to the GadgetCloud and connect to users around the world. ***
Songs that you create using KORG Gadget can be shared on "GadgetCloud," a music sharing site for KORG Gadget users worldwide. By exchanging songs between mobile musicians around the world, you can communicate in ways that bypass language barriers, and also improve your skill as a creative artist. This is a music production space that's fun to use. You can also upload from KORG Gadget directly to any social networking service such as SoundCloud, Facebook, or Twitter, sending your tracks wherever you like.

GadgetCloud is based on SoundCloud, the cloud service that's supported by creative artists world-wide.

***A fusion of cutting-edge iOS technology; a mobile studio that continues to evolve ***
By connecting an external MIDI keyboard via the Camera Connection Kit, you can play the 15 synthesizers in Gadget from a real keyboard. A wide range of iOS music technology is also supported, including AudioCopy, and WIST. There's a roadmap for future updates that will add new gadgets and support audio tracks, further perfecting the system as a mobile music production studio. KORG Gadget will continue to evolve in support of serious mobile music-making.

http://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_gadget_for_ipad/

Help
https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us

Elantric

Good article on Korg Hardware engineer - Tatsuya Takahashi,  at CDM ( Petere Kirn)
http://cdm.link/2017/02/visionary-tatsuya-takahashi-leaving-korg-huge-legacy/