By way of introduction

Started by guitinker, September 06, 2014, 03:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitinker

I just picked up a GR-55 about a week ago. I wasn't impressed at all with the in-store demo the two times I tried it out. I thought it was a horrid noisemaker. Nothing sounded good to me.

Then I heard some well-done on line demos and read some reviews and realized that it just might be a cost effective alternative to the Line6 Variax guitars that allowed me to keep my own instrument (a Roland-ready Fender Stratocaster modified with Graphtech Ghost piezos, Fender Noiseless pickups,  Planet Waves tuners, and aftermarket Warmoth pickguard.). I took a chance and bought one (mainly because my old Art SGX-2000 rig was beginning to make embarrassing intermittent noises), went through all the factory patches and found a few that I could work with, but decided to start out by programming up a few simple classic acoustic and electric combos, without all the stomp box embellishments. I LIKE it!

I've played acoustic and electric guitars my whole life, and I really enjoy the variety of unique voices each makes, but am not fond of the logistical nightmare required to set up and tear down the truck full of gear.  Digital Signal Processing is a 21st Century Godsend! It all gets shrunk to a handful of sand with the value-added weight of mere electrons.

I've played around with MIDI through a Roland GI-20 for years, mostly triggering software sampling synthesizers in various DAW environments, then editing out all the hairy noise that seemed to come with every take. It's a wonderful time to be alive, where a simple guitarist can experiment with orchestration without a real orchestra.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group guitinker!  :)