Dissecting Epic Mechanical Guitar Solo

Started by G, March 05, 2013, 11:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G

Feel like I'm getting in the "VG groove"...

Still not always 100% confident but everytime you guys give me suggestions, I find out something new.

I feel like I'm finally finding what I'm really after by breaking down and analyzing my favourite tones

I wanted you guys to hear this -- what is it that gives it the tone in the solo that sharpness?

And then theres this fuzzy overdrive like quality on the main riff in the second mp3.

Any one wanna give it a try?

Mrchevy

Any number of factors can effect the tone..... the basic being EQ.......low frequencies add bottom end and fullness...... mids give you presence (or a distance effect, lots of mid, up close and in your face...low mid levels... makes it sound distant.......high frequencies....adds or subtracts brightness/ sibilance
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

G

So how would you say those EQ factors are being applied on these particular guitars?  More high end?

What is giving that echoey metallicness to it?

Brent Flash

The main thing I hear is the use of octaves layered together.

Mrchevy

I agree with Brent on the octave effects, very subtle but there. It would be hard to really duplicate the sound accurately from that recording as it is not of the best quality ( very boomy.) If you have a better recording, you might try finding a spot in the song were the guitar is pretty much the only thing playing, even if it is just a quick riff, and play it in a loop, then work with that trying to find something in your presets that is close and go from there. I might suggest spending some time looping some riffs of your own and adjusting the various EQ's to see how it effects the sound. even the basic low, mid, high EQ on an amp would be good to experiment with. Your playing experience and skill level is not indicated so its kinda hard to know what to suggest but the main thing is developing the ears to know what your hearing but without a lot of experimenting before hand, you won't have anything to reference to. When I first started playing in a cover band, it took a lot of time and effort to learn and figure out songs but as time went by, I developed my ear to the point where I could pretty much just listen to a song and already have an idea of what settings to use, what chords they were playing, etc.
     Sometimes trying to find a really popular song that sounds like it can give you an idea were to start. For example, if it sounds like Led Zeppelin, look into what that guitarist plays ( guitar, amp, effects). What you are seeking is a tone. Tones are probably the most difficult to zoom in on because everyone has their own idea of the perfect tone. Many are similar but no two are alike. As for the guitar sounds, I would think a higher mid setting and a mid high setting with a flat low setting might be somewhere in the vicinity of the same universe  as what you seek but that would only be part of the tone. You still have to zone in on the effects and how they are applied and used. Now that I've totally confuse you and and not given you a strait answer  ;) , have fun and good luck. Will be glad to TRY and answer any other questions if I can.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

aliensporebomb

Definetely an octave divider and not a clean one with the octave divider turned on BEFORE the distortion.

So Guitar -> Octaver -> Distortion -> Amplifier
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

G

Hey mrchevy, no, that was a perfect explanation! 

And thanks Brent and aliensporebomb.  I will try those effect routes now.

My playing level is okay.  I have recorded music for 12 years and played guitar for 8 years.  That said, I just played guitar in a "whatever works" fashion, and was very flexible with my approach, just messing around until something random that sounded good occured.  Not really much education behind it, more just a creative approach.

Now, to maximize the use of the VG-99, (which i've had for 5 years now), I'm realizing that one of its great strengths is being able to emulate existing tones or take a very detailed sculpting knife towards replicating a tone from your imagination.  So I've taken a new approach to playing, and that is of learning from others more educated than me and assuming the role of a beginner, so I can better wield that sculpting tool.

Although "winging it" provided creative results in the past, they weren't exactly conscious and directed ones that I could call upon at will.  I am going to be playing my first live performances soon, so I feel like I need to be a bit more conscious behind what I'm doing. 

I don't know why I felt the need to say all this... I have not said much about myself on this board!

Mrchevy

G, you might find these links informative for understanding EQ more. You can get a little better idea of how things sit in a mix.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/mar95/eq.html

http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/mixing_excerpt1.htm

Image found on gearslutz.com

Quote from: G on March 06, 2013, 07:23:13 PM
  That said, I just played guitar in a "whatever works" fashion, and was very flexible with my approach, just messing around until something random that sounded good occured.  Not really much education behind it, more just a creative approach.
This is the stuff pioneers of music are made of....going outside the box or the norm.  ;)

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Elantric

After you study all the excellent links Mr Chevy provided,
then follow the link below and download ALL the attached doc files, to fully understand the audio sound design tools you have at your disposal inside the VG-99 / GR-55/ GP-10
ROLAND COSM REFERENCE LIBRARY
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0