Wichita Lineman - the Dysfunctionaros

Started by Smash, February 15, 2016, 12:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Dysfunctionaros is a simple duo of me and VG rig plus my mate Ruben - vox and acoustic.

First point - this was never intended for upload - we were just recording rehearsals. So this is a direct feed from the Behringer desk in my pedal board.

I read about how Jimmy Webb was inspired to write the song - the whole thing about driving through line upon line of telegraph poles and then teh silhouette of solitary lineman atop one in the distance and how he wondered what he might be saying into the receiver. So I collected a load of effects off youtube etc. to make intro and outro samples which are played from my RC30 looper - track 1 intro track 2 outro. Also left generous silence at end so plenty of time to stop loop before repeating!

We went a bit off piste for arrangement in terms of chords. The VG is doing baritone guitar and bass (yes - it really does go down to a low E!) - I was going for a Mike Landau type tone and used as many open voice chords as possible. The acoustic is a Taylor ce914.

Interesting fact 1: I used a morse code translator for the morse bit at the end and it's actually saying "I am still on the line" - retuned it to 550hz so roughly in tune with the track.

Interesting fact 2: The girl whose voice is sampled at the end was actually talking about LSD from Youtube clip!

The drums were added afterwards and because we hadn't played to a click track I had to play them in manually from Boss DR880 track by track - painful! That's why it's a bit ragged here and there - but it is what it is.

The whole lot was dumped into Cubase, stuck through Waves GEQ 30, T-Racks, Waves C4 and Waves limiter

https://soundcloud.com/rube-car/1-track-01-wichita-lineman

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.