New member from Oz - Long-time GR-20/GT-8 user now making friends with a GR-55

Started by DarthWombat, February 06, 2017, 01:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarthWombat

G'day all...

I've just joined the forum after acquiring a secondhand GR-55, and I've already found the posts hugely useful. I'm in Canberra, Australia.

I've been running a GR-20 with a GT-8 straight into the desk for around a decade now, and I tried a GR-55 a few years ago with a view to replacing both boxes and saving some stage real-estate. After an hour messing with the GR-55 in the shop, I decided (probably prematurely) that it couldn't do what I wanted, and stuck with my old setup - until now.

I am gradually tweaking the settings on the GR-55 to suit my guitars (Godin Freeway SA and now a Roland GC-1), but I'm still finding that some of the GR-55 sounds don't sound as "real" as those on the GR-20 - particularly the sax sounds. I'm still trying to adjust the GR-55 to sound as good as the plug-and-play sounds in the GR-20. Now that I own one, I'm prepared to spend the time with the GR-55 delving into the almost infinite adjustability to get the sound and playability I want, and the forum is already helping me with that.

I'm generally not a huge fan of modelled guitar sounds (with the possible exception of an acoustic modelled from the Graphtech piezo), but I love the COSM amp and effect modelling used with good magnetic pickups (Seymour Duncans in my Godin, Fender Hot Noiseless in the GC-1). I've used the PCM sounds from my GR-20 combined with the COSM modelling from my GT-8, so I'm now trying to do much the same thing within the GR-55.

I'm looking forward to finding more of the excellent information people have posted here. Any tips on easing the pain of migrating from the GR-20/GT-8 setup to the GR-55 would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks heaps,

Alex.
Synth guitars: Godin Freeway SA, Roland GC-1 Strat, Ibanez BL-100 FrankenStrat with GK-3
Roland/Boss Synth & COSM gear: Boss GT-8, Roland GR-20, Roland GR-55

whippinpost91850

Welcome Alex, from the USA.... Unfortunately you will find the saxes are better on the GR20 and the GR33 then the GR55

DarthWombat

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on February 06, 2017, 02:11:27 PM
Welcome Alex, from the USA.... Unfortunately you will find the saxes are better on the GR20 and the GR33 then the GR55
Thanks for confirming that - I was beginning to suspect that there was only so much I could adjust to improve the sax sound.
On the plus side, most of the sounds on the GR-55 seem to be pretty good.
Synth guitars: Godin Freeway SA, Roland GC-1 Strat, Ibanez BL-100 FrankenStrat with GK-3
Roland/Boss Synth & COSM gear: Boss GT-8, Roland GR-20, Roland GR-55

gumbo

...and the saxes are better on my two GR-30s as well   ::)

Welcome to the Forum DW, best wishes from (semi-rural) ADL outskirts forecasting 42C on Wednesday..  ..sigh

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...