VG-99 - Checksum error codes? (Corrupted Firmware Fix )

Started by Headless68, September 13, 2016, 10:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

Is there a second doc related to the service notes which provides info on check sum errors?

I get
431D

When I enter test mode & the VG then locks up ?
Boot normally it starts then locks after about a second

Headless (VG'less)

Elantric

Not that I'm aware of

I suspect  a system restore should be performed

Headless68

Elantric

Headless68

Headless68

Hmmm because I only get about one second before it freezes I can't perform factory reset ( I can navigate to it but not enough to time to press it )
The only thing which does not freeze it is the system uploader - it is already at v1.4 so all I could do is attempt to go over the top of the existing firmware with fresh 1.4 (if it lets me do that )
Is that a sensible action to take? 

I checked and I do have a full backup (.mid) file if I can get past this freeze issue

gumtown

I think that is your only option at this point.
Reload the firmware.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Headless68

latest update -
USB did not connect
5 pin worked!  - using Roland's Mac version of UpdSMF util it is currently allowing me to load 1.3 to 1.4 (over 1.4) version firmware - so far 24% through - will update when its finished

Everything crossed right now !

Headless68

...also - I raised a support request with Roland UK - their reply was 'as your VG-99 is out of warranty we do not support it'  they provided a 3rd party Boss/Roland repair centre phone number

Elantric

Wishing for a positive outcome!

If using the official Roland SMF Updater - i highly recommend manually load each SMF file one at a time in the correct order (low to high

things tend to get clobbered when the Roland SMF Updater app attempts to "autoload" your sequential SMF files too swiftly from your folder on the hard drive  - before the checksum messages return. The Roland SMF Updater app's autoload and "Scan SMF" "BUG" process was downfall of  the VG-88 update procedure that bricked many VG-88's 

Headless68

I am here to tell you - Corrupted firmware on a VG-99 CAN BE FIXED WITH FRESH OVER WRITE !!!!
PHEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

:-)

That has made my day !!!!

gumtown

YAY!! for it having a separate boot loader.

Earlier Roland/Boss gear have the boot-loader as part of the running firmware,
so any reload is impossible if the unit won't run.

So a bricked unit (which runs independent boot-loader) can be recovered.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/