Fractal Audio AX8 - floor based modeler

Started by mchad, February 22, 2015, 02:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete1959

Quote from: JiveTurkey on October 23, 2016, 06:52:08 AM
The AX is my favorite modeler tonally speaking. It takes a bit of time to wrap your brain around the UI (well, for me it did  :P) but the tones are very rewarding. I am skirting the edges of CPU limits. I know Cliff and company did some optimization last update and I am hoping that trend continues. Newest FW is out for the II so hopefully that will trickle down to the AX soon. Great box indeed.

Agreed. I just did a gig last night with my AX8 and trusty GP10 as well. Both units worked flawlessly and sounded great.The AX8 Edit is relatively easy to use but the controls on the pedal itself still confuse me months later. The GP10 does the job when acoustic models and alternate tunings are required.

I have also hit the limits on the AX8 CPU although the latest firmware is a bit better in that respect. Most of the time though, I just go to a spring reverb or a lower res cab and suddenly the CPU load drops. Most of my presets are in the 62% to 72% area.

Going from a GT100 alongside my GP10 and replacing it with the Fractal is a decision I don't regret. A little tough on the wallet but worth it IMHO.

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Pete1959 on October 23, 2016, 07:44:42 AM

Agreed. I just did a gig last night with my AX8 and trusty GP10 as well. Both units worked flawlessly and sounded great.The AX8 Edit is relatively easy to use but the controls on the pedal itself still confuse me months later. The GP10 does the job when acoustic models and alternate tunings are required.

I have also hit the limits on the AX8 CPU although the latest firmware is a bit better in that respect. Most of the time though, I just go to a spring reverb or a lower res cab and suddenly the CPU load drops. Most of my presets are in the 62% to 72% area.

Going from a GT100 alongside my GP10 and replacing it with the Fractal is a decision I don't regret. A little tough on the wallet but worth it IMHO.
I traded the AX for a Kemper  :-X ;D Great device and if money becomes no object; I'll buy another down the road. Loved it!

mchad

That video demo makes me want an AX8. Those crazy sounds. I need the sequencing tones. And the filthy fuzzes. Just one do all device. Move the SY300 on. But keep the GP10 for the tunings.

admin

Quote from: mchad on October 24, 2017, 05:42:13 PM
That video demo makes me want an AX8. Those crazy sounds. I need the sequencing tones. And the filthy fuzzes. Just one do all device. Move the SY300 on. But keep the GP10 for the tunings.

mchad

http://youtu.be/COpTGmFJqI4?list=PLZf8_VqVGoExPGPuaz-H24SmsJ4fincZS

(I'm having trouble pasting YT vids directly into posts).

admin

(I'm having trouble pasting YT vids directly into posts).
On youtube  - Just click "Share" then copy the URL Link and paste in your post  here

mchad

gtlist

I just found its price dropped down. just $1,199  so tempting.

if I want it so serious, I need to buy at least more than $500 value handbag for my wife. and then  I can get a permition to get it. So It cost more than $1700.  Any solution there?
Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe hss with gk3.Tom Anderson Atom wraparound bridge.
Tom Anderson Crowdster plus+ with gk3.
Steinberger GTPro hsh with sustainer pu and Gk3
Taylor 814CE,   Taylor GS Mini, Epiphone masterbilt dr500mce, martin xt1
Roland Gp-10, voicelive 3, Boss Sy-1000

Elantric

Quote from: gtlist on October 26, 2017, 05:01:15 PM

if I want it so serious, I need to buy at least more than $500 value handbag for my wife. and then  I can get a permition to get it. So It cost more than $1700.  Any solution there?

Alternative  - buy during sale, with promise to  sell off  old redundant gear in next 30 days

mchad

Quote from: gtlist on October 26, 2017, 05:01:15 PM

Beg. And cry too. Surely your wife will realise how serious GAS can be.

Pete1959

Bought mine in June 2016 paying the original $1399 price plus the EV-1 expression pedal.
Best relief from GAS I have had and sold a lot of other gear to get it. Worth every penny.

Pros:
Tone, effects, tone, tone oh yeah, and tone.
Superb support we owners of Roland gear can only dream of.
Constant firmware updates.
Scenes offer amazing flexibility
Great software editor using AX8 Edit
Huge amount of speaker cabs readily available. I am amazed how much speaker IRs can change the sound of a preferred amp.
Built like a tank.
Fractal Users Forum - Second only this one IMHO

Cons:
Still can't get used to the controls and display on the pedal itself. Laziness on my part perhaps but did the same with my GP-10 relying on BTS in the same manner.
CPU usage - Although very rare, you need to keep the CPU below 85% or have a rude reverb cutoff. I believe it actually happens at 90% load but noticed altering reverb, cab, distortion blocks can easily push the preset to the cutoff zone.
(My preset range runs from 65% to 82%. There are easy ways to overcome the limitation.)

Hope this helps. Never tried a Kemper or a Helix or Headrush and from friends & others I have seen using those units, I would stick to my AX8 regardless. My 2 cents worth.

admin

Quote from: Pete1959 on October 27, 2017, 06:12:00 AM

Cons:
Still can't get used to the controls and display on the pedal itself.

Common complaint with AX8
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/ax8-amazing-tones-but-tough-to-get-around.1702247/

QuoteYeah, I've been using the ax8 for a week and it's not easy. Thank the lawd that there's a bunch of axe-fx videos and that helps a lot. Unfortunately there are tons of differences in feature between the Axe-fx and ax8.

My biggest grip with ax8 is the CPU. For the most part I can get basic sounds easily, but the moment I try to use heavy verbs or delays... I reach the CPU limit. I'm considering using my Strymon pedals to help create more space.

I'm giving this experiment a few more months before I decide to make any changes.

scratch17

Compared the new AX8 to a used FX2. Looking at eBay sold listings for an FX2, I see a Mk1 for $1600 and a Mk2 for $1625.

With the extra CPU and Tone Match block (unavailable on AX8), I would rather have an FX2, even for $400 more. Of course, I don't need the floorboard because I have a Mastermind GT10.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Elantric

Elantric

http://www.roxxxtar.com/axelive
About AxeLive
AxeLive is a powerful yet simple live performance tool for the Fractal AX8 and Axe FX II, it's main purpose is to display the contents of your preset without causing any audio drops. AxeLive also brings for the first time a Graphical AMP/DRIVE User Interface to the Axe FX/AX8 for easy editing. Do NOT use AxeLive at the same time as AX8-Edit/Axe-Edit! AxeLive is not an official Fractal App, read the disclaimer in the download area for more details.

Getting Started
Launch AxeLive, select the MIDI input and output of your device and check the boxes of features you want to use. That's it!.

Basic Features:
Display large preset/scene name
Display Bank/Preset/Scene Number and scroll thru them, and scene selection
Naming of scenes (stored within AxeLive), Click the scene name to edit
Tuner/Metronome Toggle
Bypass/Engage blocks when you click on the block name
X/Y blocks when you click on the X/Y below the block name
List all presets and load from the list
Reload the current preset
Lock the screen so you don't click something by mistake live
Additional Features:
Display CPU Usage
Display AX8 Footswitches layout
Display the blocks grid or show the blocks alphabetically
Set List
Use of External MIDI controllers connected to your computer to interact with your Device

hsuru4u

I am excited to see the next incarnation of the ax unit from fractal.Likely a year away but with the release of the helix stomp and headrush i hope cliff reworks the gui/adds a headphone jack and usb audio. I am saving my $$$ to see what he comes out with.

plexified

Here are some great tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFf4WCqq3Aa1M6V04xWn-moXobsSThlxL

Here is a great overview of the AX-8 and should you upgrade, very insightful...

mchad

Quote from: plexified on October 09, 2018, 11:08:35 PM
Here are some great tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFf4WCqq3Aa1M6V04xWn-moXobsSThlxL

Here is a great overview of the AX-8 and should you upgrade, very insightful...

And the Lord said unto us...blessed be the AX8.

DF400

Interesting take on purchasing an AxeIII. I can speak from experience, in that I presently own both the AX8 and the AxeIII, that he makes some good points. In fact, I initially had put my AX8 up for sale while waiting for my AxeIII to arrive. I'm actual glad I did not sell it -

While I too have some of the same points on my wishlist on the successor of the Ax8, I do very much love the tones I get out of this unit. It is my go-to for gigging and I'm always lugging it to rehearsals. Personally, I have not tapped out the CPU - I am a pretty meat-and-potatoes guitarist when it comes to effects, so the processing capacity seems well suited for me. Initially, I was bummed I could not run two amps simultaneously but after spending some time with scenes and amp changes/selections and a good inventory of drive pedals - not as big an issue as I had thought. All-in-all, a great piece of kit for a gigging musician.

Let me start by saying the AxeIII is an impressive unit. It sounds better than anything I have ever played in terms of modeling. I think Kemper, Headrush, Helix and other brings great price point and user interface options and generally, we are all beneficiaries of healthy competition. However, to my ear Fractal is top notch modelers and innovators in the modeling field (I will not say it is in a league of its own, because I know there are many loyal to other options and my POV is really just subjective to my ear). **Which reminds me, not sure why most don't include Atomic's AmpliFIREs on the list of awesome modelers. it is a great sounding unit at it's price point.

While I spend a lot of time with my AxeIII, and I have it configured to work with my GCP, I have only gigged with it a few times. It's just a huge PITA lugging around so much gear. I use it for recording, and more creative guitar work - but I am trying to keep my gig rig simple and to the point. That said, I am on the waiting list for the FC12 - which is due to start shipping in the coming weeks ;D. I am just not sure having a FC12 will change my opinion though - I am just comfortable with my faithful AX8. Also, I am not convinced there would be a perceivable difference in tone to the audience - so it really boils down to what sounds good and is inspiring to me.

What could change my mind is the ability (and overcoming my laziness) to program it to run two guitars; or a bass and guitar; or even a electric guitar chain, acoustic (piezo) guitar chain, and a bass chain through the AxeIII. The latest firmware update also includes virtual "capo" effect (which can tune down, or up) which is a big plus for me (providing it sounds decent).

Elantric

plexified

Leon Forwarded this one to check out.  Edit :  My only question is perhaps the AX8 is going through the AXIII  D/A  A/D  converters in this test set up. Not sure yet, but still a decent rip. He has a lot of Fractal tutorials on his site also, well worth a peek.

plexified

Hey! a Big Thanks to  Elantric, I found Larry again because of the post above and found this fabulous video he shared with us about his Fractal AX8 and Eventide H9 which is his current Live Rig ! Awesome dude and great presentation. Especially because he can use whatever he wants and this is what he uses!

Edit: If you dig this, I tagged a show from his "Chocolate Room" Live with this rig. Its over an hour of glorious up close and vibrant mastery.