GK-3 on a PRS SE 245

Started by Tek, January 03, 2015, 11:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tek

I finally installed my new GK-3 on my PRS SE 245 (Sweetwater door buster special  ;D).

Since the distance from the pickup to the strings was so far, I decided to try mounting it on a piece of rectangular styrene tubing first with double sided tape and screws, then just super gluing the whole assembly to the pickup mounting ring.
I was able to get the exact desired spacing, no screws in the body, no tape on the guitar and I can always replace the pickup ring later if I decide to put the GK-3 on something else. It worked pretty good.

I'm really impressed with this PRS! Tracking is just as good or better than my GC-1 and it sustains much better also...

Here's a couple of pics.

whippinpost91850

Nice clean install. It looks very nice

Tek

Elantric

Very nice install!

Thanks for sharing!

Mrchevy

Nice. just out of curiosity, did you try the mounting bracket for the tune-o-matic bridge on that style PRS bridge. Would the holes and clearances work?

(EDIT) : just looked at a zoomed in closeup of your pictures. It looks like it would take some modifications to the bracket and the bridge posts to MAYBE work. I wouldn't be overly hesitant to mod the bracket, but I wouldn't want to start hacking on the bridge components.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Tek

Quote from: Mrchevy on January 03, 2015, 01:36:21 PM
Nice. just out of curiosity, did you try the mounting bracket for the tune-o-matic bridge on that style PRS bridge. Would the holes and clearances work?

(EDIT) : just looked at a zoomed in closeup of your pictures. It looks like it would take some modifications to the bracket and the bridge posts to MAYBE work. I wouldn't be overly hesitant to mod the bracket, but I wouldn't want to start hacking on the bridge components.

I thought about trying to use the tune-o-matic mounting bracket with maybe some thumb screws underneath to hold it up but the posts were way different. Even re-drilling holes wouldn't work.

Incidentally, one drawback to the method I used is that I have to completely loosen the strings/stop tail bridge in order to access the string holes... the pickup blocks the string holes on the bridge... no big deal for me, I rarely break strings  ;)

Tek