RC-50 - Trying to wire this up with mixer... and it aint working

Started by tillthen, October 30, 2016, 11:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tillthen

There has to be a better way with components i have.... Any help appreciate on how to wire things up...

stratrat

Put the RC-50 on on an aux send, rather than the control room out. That way you can control the mix going to the RC with the channel aux sends.

If you have the channels spare, bring the outputs of the RC in via two normal channels as it will give you quick and easy access to the level of the loops via the channel faders. Plus separate EQ and fx sends for the looper, etc. Only thing you have to watch out for is accidentally setting up a feedback loop with the aux sends on the channels.

tillthen

ok.. I have tried to put the both guitar and mic on one Aux send... then run the rc 50 back to its own channel input.... That was successful,  but when I  tried to add the mic... I got immediate feedback....

the second aux send is for the onboard effects so I can't just use it for the mic only....

This maybe the kicker...  I have a TC helicon harmony gxt vocal... That mic goes through,  before it feeds into the eq channel... 

so its
mic-harmonygxt-(wet)-Eq channel- Aux send#1 (when I tried turn that knob up... immediate feedback

stratrat

I'm no expert on the RC units to say exactly how, but make sure to turn down the direct signal on the RC - same as you do with any other aux fed FX. Otherwise you'll be getting direct signal from both the mic's channel and from the RC's channel.

tillthen

Just so I understand.... when you say direct signal... you are refferring to the looper''s input volume?... Or the volume leaving the looper?

I Will be able to do some hands on stuff in about a hour...

stratrat

The input being echoed to the output. You can't just turn the input level down, because then the looper doesn't "hear" the input either, which means it can't record the sound. What you need is only the loops playing to the output, not the input signal.

I just had a look at the RC manual. Didn't see a way of setting the volume for the original sound (is that right? Seems odd), but you can set the input to go to the sub out instead of the main outs, which should do exactly the same thing if the sub outs are not connected to the mixer. That setting (called Patch: Input Out) is in the patch settings.

Otherwise the only way to do it is the conventional method - plug both mic and guitar into the RC and then the RC outputs into a pair of line channels on the mixer.

tillthen

Yes there is a separate volume knob for all three inputs  ( mic, instrument, and the .88mm jack).

stratrat

That's input volumes though. What you're looking for is a "mix" setting or something similar. It allows you to change the balance between the original sound and the loop playback.

admin

tillthen

Have I found the right thing to make the adjustments?? ??? ... As I areading through the manual I found this, that spoke about a playback setting that is adjustable for each phrase bank.

MUTE—The input signals are muted, regardless of a patch's setting.
(When the input signals are muted, they can still be recorded to
the RC-50's phrases.)

Muting the input is useful when you wish to monitor the source
audio separately from the RC-50's outputs (great for live multitrack
recording and using multiple amplification systems in a performance).
For example, if the source audio is a multi-effects processor
such as the BOSS GT-8, you can monitor its sound from its MAIN
outputs, while using its SEND jack to send a duplicate signal to
the RC-50 for phrase recording. After you set the RC-50's input
levels, you probably won't want to hear the input signal from the
RC-50's outputs, as you're already hearing it from the GT-8's MAIN
outputs. By muting it on the RC-50, you can avoid this duplication.
Press EXIT when you're done.

tillthen

After some thought it sounds like that may be the opposite ??? ??? ???

stratrat

tillthen

yes that is the setting.... Just tried it out thanks so much!!! :) :)