VG-99 - Neal Schon Live 2012 patch

Started by Smash, February 11, 2014, 03:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

So this patch is all about trying to replicate Neal's frankly gargantuan live sound which is swamped in verb and delay for his solo spots and yet allows fast fretwork to come through cleanly.

the trick to it not ending up a mess is controlling the sends to both reverb and delay. In this patch I've used the input level to control the send to both so when the note is first picked onyl a small amount is sent, increasing only as the note dies away. So when you're hacking up and down not much gets sent keeping things nice and clean but if you go all lazy legato there's a ridiculous amount of effect to be had.

Controls are GK vol and FC300 EXP1 control the overall max level of verb and delay.

CTL2 turns the verb and delay on and off (so that's either wet as an otters pocket or dry as a popcorn fart!)

CTL1 is the feedbacker to simulate Neal's sustainer (used only once in the demo)

Enjoy!

DEMO HERE: https://soundcloud.com/smashmashups/neal-schon-live-vg99-patch

Recorded straight from main out with NO additional processing - that's just how the patch sounds

davep2000

Just heard it for the first time Smash and I laughed out loud...
Because it was a 'Eureka' moment
That sounds fabulous  ;D

Smash

Cheers Dave - hope it works for you  ;D keep the gk vol cranked for max otter!

I struggled with the demo as am tired and the left hand was being a shitbag but I wanted to get the patch up.

aliensporebomb

Bravo - I'm glad I found this before I tried to program this patch myself - I wish I would have because this is excellent!  Almost like a Yngwie thing but very swimmingly ambient!

Bravo!

I'll use this one a lot I have no doubt!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Smash

Smash

Wow I was tired last night - listening fresh the tone is quite a way off! Mental note to self: do not tweak tone on headphones!

I reckon it needs a 500hz scoop on the COSMB git and a bottom end shelf at the very least plus it's too smooth.

Grrrr  >:(

Version 2 on it's way

davep2000

I wasn't listening to the tone, just the ambience, the delay and reverb
That's also why I'd be tweaking the patch using my set up
But post a update when you change it, just in case  ;)

Smash

Found the post that explains how to record the guitar dry from VG USB and then play back through FX to fine tune tone - boy oh boy that's what I'm gonna do next time for sure! Save a lot of time

Anyway, be really interested to hear your tweak when it's done - maybe post up the .mid?

davep2000

Smash, I admire people like yourself that can listen and then

Quote from: Smash on February 12, 2014, 12:19:53 AM

Wow I was tired last night - listening fresh the tone is quite a way off! Mental note to self: do not tweak tone on headphones!

I reckon it needs a 500hz scoop on the COSMB git and a bottom end shelf at the very least plus it's too smooth.

Grrrr  >:(

Version 2 on it's way

With your Neal Schon patch, I listened to the ambience and its sounds fabulous
And I laughed because you nailed it
But I know that it will sound different guitar tone-wise through my gear, but my guitar tone and it will be awash with delay and reverb, and will be clear when I don't play as hard

So thanks again

I wish that there was some kit or a common method that we all employ that when we download patches, we all sound the same

Smash, please keep posting .mid's and soundcloud stuff

Not so sure about my .mid tho :D :D :D  ;)

Elantric

QuoteFound the post that explains how to record the guitar dry from VG USB and then play back through FX to fine tune tone - boy oh boy that's what I'm gonna do next time for sure! Save a lot of time

Here is the USB re-amping thread for info on recording dry guitar for use as a loop source when creating VG-99 patches.

Use Laptop as Virtual Expansion for Advanced Processing. ( VST/AU FX plugins)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1667.msg9135#msg9135

Smash

That's the one - thanks Elantric. I'd recommend everyone read it if you're into chasing specific sounds and get tired off playing the same riffs over and over again. I haven't tried it yet but I can see it will be beneficial for the kind of thing I get up to.

As an aside, when explaining how I tweak and EQ patches to other people, my other half says "He spends hours changing something from sounding like 'eeeeee' to 'eeeeee'...." lol!  ;D

papabuss

Scott, the next +1.  ;)

And a video link for "Stone in Love.."
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_jsjbbGHwnM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_jsjbbGHwnM
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

verticleman

Where do I find the patch to download?
Thanks!

Elantric

1 Must be logged into Vguitarforums

2 Look at the bottom of 1st post in this thread.

3 Double click the VG-99 Patch file.

4 Load it into your VG-99 using the Roland VG-99 Editor. ( use Import SMF to load the Schon live.mid file)

5 Read VG-99 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0

M2

This is a truly great patch that shows off the VG-99, Smash. Thanks so much for sharing. I've looked at all the things you programmed and learned a lot, but while I can see the sndd changing in seconds from shorter to longer when I play notes (this is brilliant it's like what the Johnson Millennium can do) but nowhere in the control chains etc can find the place where you've assigned input level as a controller and how you send set it up to control the sends.Did you do this from the VG-99 or is this something I can only see or set up in the Editor?

Again, great work.

M2
-------------------

M2 Musik Pub

Smash

Thanks man - I always use the pc editor.

If you open the editor then click on control assign (dark grey button top right) that'll open a whole heap of tab pages in a window and the one where everything happens is the one just called "assign" plain and simple then scroll to bottom.

Alternatively if you work from the vg99 front panel press "control assign" and then go to the 9th page and check out assignments 14, 15 and 16

Yeah I don't know why I chose to work backwards either!  ;D