Boss GR-D V-Guitar Distortion & Boss GR-S V-Guitar Space

Started by Orren Merton, November 01, 2012, 02:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oddguitar

I agree with drjones2001.  The reason I got both pedals was to get some dual COSM modeling options without going full-boat for the VG-99 + FC-300.  I also like that I can easily use them in front of my amp and quickly find a sound that I like by just twisting a few knobs.  The one thing I wish was different is having to keep the right pedal of the GR-S constantly depressed to keep the "freeze" tone sustaining.  I would much prefer that by pressing the right pedal the "freeze" tone would keep sustaining until I pressed the pedal again.  Other than that, I'm really digging both of them.  I'm especially liking the VG Dist 2, Poly Dist and Synth sounds of the GR-D.

-oddguitar

modalmojo

Hello gentlemen,

I am a total newbie in the synth world, please excuse me if my question sounds silly. 

I have a Godin Freeway SA, and want to trigger a soft synth such as Omnisphere.  Can I use GR-S to connect my computer to trigger Omnisphere?  Thanks in advance for your advice.  :)

Elantric

QuoteI have a Godin Freeway SA, and want to trigger a soft synth such as Omnisphere.  Can I use GR-S to connect my computer to trigger Omnisphere?  Thanks in advance for your advice. 

No - you will need a Roland GK13 pin to MIDI conversion unit.

These perform  Roland GK13 pin to MIDI conversion and connect to Computer via USB

* VG-99, GR-55, GI-20

These perform Roland GK13 pin to MIDI conversion and connect to Computer via a 5pin MIDI connection (require a third party MIDI to USB cable or MIDI Interface)
* GR-33, GR-30,GR-20, GI-10.

polaris20

Quote from: Elantric on April 17, 2013, 01:27:46 PM
No - you will need a Roland GK13 pin to MIDI conversion unit.

These perform  Roland GK13 pin to MIDI conversion and connect to Computer via USB

* VG-99, GR-55

These  Roland GK13 pin to MIDI conversion and connect to Computer via a 5pin MIDI connection (require a third party MIDI to USB cable or MIDI Interface)
* GR-33, GR-30, GI-10, GI-20

GI-20 has USB onboard.

Elantric

QuoteGI-20 has USB onboard.

thanks!

aliensporebomb

I've used my VG-99 to trigger Omnisynth among other softsynths and am happy with the performance and capabilities.  Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

modalmojo

oddguitar

I'm thinking about picking up a second-hand Mexican Roland Ready Strat, but was wondering if the GK2 in it is going to be a problem with use with my GR-D & GR-S?  The manuals seems to infer that they will work with any GK guitar, however, I know that the GR55 has a different setting for the GK2 than the GK3.  These two pedals don't have that option, so I'm worried that they might be designed to work with the GK3 specifically...anybody have any idea?

-oddguitar

dedemacri

Hi folks!
I'm from Brazil, and use a Roland VG-88 v.2 for years. I'm looking for metheny gr-300 sound 1 octave up and i bought the Roland GR-D. The saw synht is great, but when i put in octave mode i get that pitch-shifter sound octave, especially in A and E strings. Increasing the Gk sensitivity the sounds get better, but you get ghost notes. Anybody knows how to improve the sound? I will share a link to hear what i'm talking about.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/l9g0jJIQce/GR-D_test.html
I play 1 octave up after the 25 seconds.

Thanks and sorry about my English!!

Nyama74

Hello and sorry to chime in so late but I have a question for any GR-D owners - how well does this pedal work for old-school Belew/Fripp/Summers sounds? Based on the video demos online, it sounds like a passable (albeit poor man's) GR-300 with the hex fuzz and synth options. For those of us who don't need all of the bells & whistles of a VG-99 or GR-55, the GR-D seems like it might fit the bill. Any King Crimson/Police fans around who could speak to this?

Elantric

Skip the Gr-D, GR-S and look at the new Boss GP-10 due to ship in 10 days.

www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10782.0

Nyama74

Whoa...that's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads-up, Elantric!

Elantric

My thoughts

The first one minute of either video above serve as a good "primer" of what a GK-3 Hex PU is all about  - so maybe newbies will finally understand what a 13 pin Hex Pickup is (but IMHO the world 40 years from now will still call these "MIDI Pickups"  - all because of poor Roland "marketing damage" for the past 30 years.

(side note: But upon reflection I might as well try to convince Fender Marketing that the Strat has a  Vibrato Bar ( not a tremolo Bar) - so
"it is what it is"

One thing certain, even at $99/ea (July 4th 2014 sale) - these will not "sell out" anytime soon - i see no rush to buy

Its my opinion that after the Boss GP-10 has been out for 6 months - look for both these discontinued GR-S and GR-D to become  a  Musician's Friend Stupid Deal of the day @ $49 each on Black Friday 2014 - or sooner, just to clear old stock. if you could afford to buy three GR-S's or Three GR-D's  today -  you might as well explore our group buy GP-10 and have "all that and more"  - just sayin ;)

Bill Ruppert

I got the GR-S and GR-D today.
The GR-D is nice but the GR-S is a huge win,
With freeze it killer.
This is like adding another VG for ambient sounds and you can mix in another VG or GP ect.
For $99 it is unbelievable.

admin

Agreed the GR-S is the "pick of the litter" in that group.

Elantric

Kevin M

Still, is there anything in the GR-S that can't be replicated in the VG-99?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tms13pin

Reviving an old thread.  I just picked up both from Sweetwater for $99 each.  Anyone else having problems powering these from an external power supply or pedalboard?  Both units I got work fine with batteries but neither will power up with an external 9v supply (I tried three wall warts that work perfectly fine with every other Roland/Boss unit I own, as well as with my WP-20G and OC-20G) nor will they power from my SKB pedal board.  They're useless to me if I have to only use batteries with them.  Very strange.

--Tom

Elantric

I do not own either GR-D or GR-S, but i know these use the Roland PSA-120 power supply

Owners Manual
http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/62927084/GR-S_e02_W.pdf

The Roland PSA-120 is actually a "9.05VDC @ 500mA Power supply, and the best alternative is a Visual Sound 1SPOT

which is 100% compatible to all units that use the Roland PSA-120.  If your power supply only delivers 8.9V DC and less than 500mA current, you will never be able to power the GR-D, GR-S.

Also I would avoid powering multiple Roland GR-x units from one Power supply as these draw more current than typical stomp FX

tms13pin

Yeah, but all of my other Roland units that use that supply power just fine with the individual supplies I used.  It's not a current draw issue as two of the supplies were rated 1 A and one 850mA and the GR-D/S only draw 200mA.  There's nothing different about the PSA-120 that should make a difference here.  Same connector, etc.

Thanks though.  I'm baffled.

--Tom

Elantric

There is a concept called "inrush current"  at power up, which is the device's momentary need for higher current during the few seconds of powering on. Many third party supplies cant deliver this, many  pedal board power supplies are designed for older analog FX with "brown sag 8.2VDC power options.

Either the official  Roland PSA-120 or Visual Sound 1Spot work with my Boss GP-10, which has similar power requirements as your Roland GR-S

Rhcole

I just bought a GR-S demo from Sweetwater for $89. Gotta' be worth that!
...Even just to have a 13 pin input that can run on batteries...

tms13pin

Quote from: Rhcole on October 25, 2014, 03:40:10 PM
I just bought a GR-S demo from Sweetwater for $89. Gotta' be worth that!
...Even just to have a 13 pin input that can run on batteries...

Might be the one that I returned last week!  The GR-S was cool, I liked it a lot more than the GR-D.  But I think
I can accomplish most of what those do with my GR-55 and GP-10 anyway, in spite of the powering problem.

--Tom

Rhcole

Well, it will need to run on a Boss adapter or it's defective.

They weren't worth $299, but at $99 they are a closeout bargain.

You KNOW a VG product has flopped when Elantric hasn't posted a separate section for them on this board!

Frankster

Quote from: polaris20 on April 17, 2013, 01:32:14 PM
GI-20 has USB onboard.

It does, but there's no Windows 8 driver and I doubt Roland will rush to release one. Not a great loss but it means you can only use it via MIDI in/out with the latest version of Windows.