VG-88 - Any VG-88 Owners Here???

Started by Virtual Tone, February 25, 2008, 01:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virtual Tone

I was wondering if there's any VG-88 owners here who own both the VG-88 and the VG-99?

If so... can you tell us what you like and dislike in each unit.

Also.. for us VG-99 owners... is it worth picking up a VG-88 as well?

Thanks,

V.T.  8)

Elantric

What I like about the VG-88:
========================

Gretsch COSM Body and PU

Most parameters can be made Mappable to MIDI CC controls.

Supports non GK guitars - so it can work like a Pod for normal guitars.

Supports more external pedals and control switches than  original VG-8

A windows editor  Vedit

Elantric

They seem to sell for $400 these days on Ebay

more like $200

Elantric

IMHO - The best bang for buck to augment a VG-99 is the VG-8 (ebay $250)- get a US-20 and select  / combine them.

Virtual Tone

Quote from: sustainiac on February 25, 2008, 01:17:56 PM
IMHO - The best bang for buck to augment a VG-99 is the VG-8 (ebay $250)- get a US-20 and select  / combine them.

HUH???   :o

A US-20 and select? ???

Sounds interesting S-MAN!  :D

Can you elaborate (or should we just figure it out for ourselves?)   ;D

Now back to "3:10 to Yuma"   ;)

V.T.

Elantric

Open your Roland catalog and read

ROLAND US-20 Unit Selector
US-20 Manual
ftp://ftp.roland.co.uk/ProductSupport/manuals/US-20_OM.pdf

vanceg

I think he just means - Split the 13 pin signal and send it to both the VG-99 and VG-88. Boom. Done.

But, your VG-99 OUGHT to be soun dign a LOT better than it would appear to from your posting. I find that my 99 sounds far superior in most all ways to both my VG-8 and VG-88.

Vance

A2theT

Quote from: sustainiac on February 25, 2008, 01:17:56 PM

Can you elaborate one the advantage of adding a VG-8 would be?  Isn't the VG-99 a lot more superior?

Those US-20s are expensive.....
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

dead_lizard

"These go to eleven....."

(Spinal Tap)

Elantric

Its the non guitar HRM synth and VIO Guitar stuff I like on the VG-8

And the Autotune, and the DUAL SRV patch is cool too.

I also like the easy way the footswitches change to stombox mode  (hold the GK-2A "S1" - and the VG-8 footswitches change to stomboxes - indicated whats what in the VG-8 LCD display too - very clever. Too bad those development guys retired. The current Roland designers should spend a weekend with the old VG-8 EX to see how to develop a user interface.

No doubt the VG-99  "V2"  firmware will fix a few of our complaints - not all of them but a lot. But we all have a lot of playing to do between now and then.

>Those US-20s are expensive.....
I buy used - and remember the price includes a few short GK13 patch cables.
They pop up on Ebay for $75 from time to time. - But Hey I'm very capable to fix things - so factor that into my opinions  But even new for $149 is cheaper than building.

Factor in that the price includes two short GK cables, and its the best way to integrate other GK13 gear (GR-20, Axon, VG-8) into your wall of sound.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/125982-REG/Roland_US_20_US_20_Floor_Pedal.html

Virtual Tone

There's 4 on ebay but they go between $200 and $400.

Here's a link. http://search.ebay.com/roland-vg-8_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3

V.T.  8)

ThunderChops

Quote from: Elantric on February 25, 2008, 03:31:09 PM
No doubt the VG-99  "V2"  firmware will fix a few of our complaints

Did Roland come out with the V2 firmware?

Elantric

Observe the posting date - that was from 2008

We did create a VG-99 Enhancements list of features Users wanted.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1319.0

And met with Roland US to submit these extensive "suggestions for a VG-99 Update at 2009 Winter NAMM
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1319.0;attach=1484

"V2"firmware never occurred.

Version 1.04 is the last update  - and be sure you have that installed as that is the most stable firmware version.

All VG-99 users should be using Version 1.04  - check yours and get the update here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14.0

RogerGLewis

I do not have a VG 99 but I did buy a VG 88 and have not got over its possibilities in the 2 years I have had it. The VG8 is even more miraculous in how far ahead of its time it was. I saw a VGB 99 go for 1400 dollars on e bay last week, I had been bidding on GR33's and keeping a look out for a cheap GR55, In the end I bought a GR33 which is on its way yo me now. The Modelling in the VG 88 is fantastic but is limmited in the synth and string and wind instruments it offers and I really wanted and have wanted more synths Piano, Sax and Flutes etc. I have had fun with what the VG88 offers in the synth midi instrument direction but have MIDI keyboard envy and the GR33 should sate my green eye very well I think and more economically than the GR55. THe V editor which Elantric mentions is fantastic I have it running in parrallels on my 2006 Mac pro running Lion. I made a demo video of my Acoustic Guitar that I made last July and installed the Graphtech Acoustic Midi for Steel String Kit into. I am very pleased with rhe results.