GR-55 - Recording and Playback of MIDI CCs

Started by braiton, November 02, 2014, 10:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braiton

Hello there. Just a small question I have. Is there a way for me to record a MIDI CC and have it played back in real time later?
Say for example I record a Program change message into my DAW at X time. I have other stuff sequenced in there so I hit play and continue playing. I want to set it up so when it reaches X time, it sends the program change back to the GR-55 so that I can change the patch I'm using without having to stop playing.

Thanks for the help!

Kevin M

Yes, this is very much possible. However, it comes with the caveat that you'll have a slight delay when the patch change occurs. If the GR55 is also your audio interface it will mean a slight hiccup in all audio while the patch change takes place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

braiton

Hey thanks for the reply!

Any idea how should I set up my GR-55 to go on about recording program change messages into my DAW?
How can I assign the message to the S1/Down S2/Up buttons in my GK3 pickup and record them?

That way I can record the live session so I have it as a template when I go back to it.
Thanks for the help!

Kevin M

I may have misunderstood what you are trying to do.  I was under the impression that you were trying to initiate the PC/CC messages from within your DAW so you didn't have do these manually while playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

braiton

Yes I'm trying to do that but I'm also trying to record these messages live so I kind of have different exact templates I can make in the go.

Basically, recording midi messages with my GR-55 and then having them being read by the same unit when I play it back from within my DAW. Is that possible, and if so, how would I get around doing that?

Thanks for the help!

gumtown

That should work fine, recording to a midi track, ensuring the same midi channel is set to receive on the GR-55 when the track is played back.
That will work for program change, but for controller messages (cc#), you will need to setup GR-55 assigns to respond to the given cc# sent from the CTL/EXP pedals or S1/S2 buttons, when played back.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

braiton

Hey guys thanks for help.

My DAW (reaper) is recording the program change mesages to my MIDI patch channel like it should but I'm having trouble to have it read back by the gr-55 when played back. I'm connecting my GR.55 via a midi in and out to usb cable to my pc. Any ideas?

MIDI input and output is enabled from within my DAW's preferences so I assume it must be something with how my gr-55 is set up?

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Yup that was it. Under the RX PC map setting Map select was set to PROG instead of FIX. Reverting that seemed to solve the problem.

Thanks for the help by the way!