GT100 - where is the sound coming from??

Started by shredhead, July 25, 2014, 03:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shredhead

Hi folks,

I purchased at GT100 last week to use via the 4 cable method with my Peavey 5150.  After some initial disappointment, I think I've managed to achieve unity gain (I am a complete idiot when it comes to anything to do with this kind of thing, so this was quite an achievement for me!).

Something is happening which I find baffling, though.  In the GT100s chain, I turned off the S/R (thereby muting the sound from the 5150) and I also had none of the GT100's preamps turned on.  I was expecting there to be no sound since both sources were turned off, however there was a very loud clean tone still coming frommy speakers.  The volume was due to the fact that I have the GT100's output at 12 o'clock but I still can't figure out 'where' exactly the tone was coming from.  If both the S/R and the GT100's preamps were turned off then what could possibly still be generating sound?

Any suggestions and tips would be most welcome :)

gumtown

When ever a "unit" (unit being an effect, preamp, or S/R) is switched "off" it bypasses the unit,
just like a stomp pedal, when you switch a stomp effect pedal off, it does not kill the sound.
So with everything 'off' in the GT-100 chain, you get a bypass signal from input to output.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

shredhead

Ah, I think I'm with you.  So is this a bit like the sound that you get when you activate the tuner but don't have it on bypass and therefore just get a dry, clean guitar sound?

gumtown

Sort of, the Tuner can be
MUTE: no sound output
BYPASS: dry sound to output - bypassing all effects/preamp units.
THRU: sound output is through the effects chain.

If using 4CM, think of the S/R loop as being just the preamp section of your guitar amp.

You either have the S/R loop "on" and the GT-100 preamps "off" (uses the external preamp only)
or
the S/R loop "off" and the GT-100 preamp(s) "on" (uses the internal GT-100 preamps only).

A typical 'traditional' chain flow is
[guitar input]>[modulation effects - drive- pitch -compression]>[preamp]>[time based effects - rev -delay- chorus]>[output to power amp].
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

shredhead

Thanks gumtown, I will test it out tomorrow but I think the sound I am getting with the S&R off and the GT100s preamps also off is just the 'pure' sound of the guitar as you've described in tuner bypass mode - it's an amplified sound but is totally dry (although I think it will still produce fx if the fx are left on in the chain, so maybe it's more like the THRU mode you described).

Either way it makes a lot more sense now, so thank you :)