DIY GK-13 "Y" splitter cable

Started by CodeSmart, July 07, 2014, 02:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

QuoteBut I ain't retired just yet...

Good to know!  I'd still like one of the Codesmart multi-in/out boxes someday too (hopefully complete with whatever new ideas you've come up since the original run).  ;)
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

whippinpost91850

CodeSmart

Quote from: SuperNiCd on December 13, 2014, 08:50:50 AM
with whatever new ideas you've come up since the original run).  ;)
You mean things like:
- Easy to manufacture.
- Adjustable volume +/- dB of ALL std+hex signals of EACH guitar to normalize the input to GK synth and std amp input (to maintain SAME GK Set hex setting regardless of guitar and also to match weak single-coil Strat pups with active high-output humbuckers).
- Adjustable blend of 1/4" jack and pin 7 signal.
- Full true hex switching, Vol knob can be assigned to other things than volume on the synths.
- Jacks for foot pedals.
- Integrated switchable Subsonic Filter (just assigned it to certain guitar inputs).
- Pre synth FX-loop
- Optional pin7 insert from a ATG Floor unit
- Ground lift on outputs.
- Possible rack mount of the boards
Yes, there are actually a few things that comes to my mind...
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

supernicd

I actually started salivating as I read that...
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

CodeSmart

Quote from: SuperNiCd on December 13, 2014, 09:43:47 AM
I actually started salivating as I read that...
Ha-ha!!!  ;D Had to look that up in a dictionary...

supernicd

One thing that I think would be a really nice feature, if it's even possible, is the ability to safely "hot disconnect" the 13-pin cable from the guitar.  My understanding is that it is not particularly good for the VG/GR to do this while it's powered on (my understanding could be wrong, here but as of today I try never to do that).

With a unit like this and something like a Godin SA type guitar where the normal P/U signal is already sent down the 13-pin cable wthout a patch cable to its 1/4" output, this would give me the ability to easily go wireless and have a little more stage mobility for songs that don't need the 13 pin features.

So 1/4" electric or mix output on a Godin to a wireless unit, with the wireless receiver plugged into the Codesmart 1/4" in.  Then just pop the 13 pin cable safely out of the guitar for extra mobililty, plug it back in when alt-tuning or a COSM model is needed.
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

CodeSmart

Quote from: SuperNiCd on December 13, 2014, 10:32:21 AM
So 1/4" electric or mix output on a Godin to a wireless unit, with the wireless receiver plugged into the Codesmart 1/4" in.  Then just pop the 13 pin cable safely out of the guitar for extra mobililty, plug it back in when alt-tuning or a COSM model is needed.
This is just a matter of software in this case and a double-stomp could easily mute all hex signals while you running around wild and when you plug it back in you do a double-stomp and the hex is activated again.
I add it to the list for the software. :D

supernicd

Sweet!  Pretty excited about the next version of this unit! :D
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Bill Ruppert

FWIW
I love Roberts GKPX-14!
The guts, electronics, painting, switch, jacks, labeling ect is so top notch it blows my mind.
PLUS super affordable.
Bill

gr55fan

hi folks! i have a gr55 and sy1000. i bought the y adapter for the gk3 cable from ebay. i saw on the post to avoid. i just received it and a little hesitant about plugging it in. is there a way to test the y adapter before i hook it up so i dont blow both my boards?
thanks.

gumtown

Your GK floor unit provides +7volt and -7 volt power supply (common ground on 13 pin outer shell) for the GK-3 pickup.
To have both GK floor units supply this to a common point is not ideal, where one unit is powered up and the 7 volts is back feeding into the the other floor unit should it be switched off.
Only one GK floor unit should have the 7 volt wiring connected to pins 12 and 13, or the adapter should have blocking diodes installed to prevent back feed.

Safest test is using a multimeter set to read resistance (ohms), check continuity on the pins 12 and 13, there should be no connection between the two male plug ends (ends which plug into the floor units) pins 12 to 12, or pins 13 to 13 should have no continuity, and pins 12 and 13 at the female end (plugs to GK cable and guitar) should only connect to one floor unit plug.
If you get no continuity at all, it is possible there might be blocking diodes fitted in the 7 volt supply lines, so plug in the GK guitar end and one end to only one floor unit and switch on, check if the GK pickup led lights up, then do the same only with the other male plug end, and see if only one end supplies the power to the GK pickup.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Any GK Y cable must have all attributes of the attached schematic

and read Bill Rupperts advice
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12621.msg86798#msg86798