GK 13 pin Cable Maintenance Tips.

Started by Elantric, February 12, 2011, 01:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macman70

I am so glad I found this on my 1 year old GP-10 I was every now and then getting one string that just dropped out, unplugging and replugging in the 13 pin cures problem but every now and then it occurs. I have never used this Deoxit approach so I will get some.

Is it safe to use on my guitar input jack on the Boss GT-100, every 9-12 months or so?

thanks

The Deoxit worked like a charm for my GK3 cable, thanks!!

Elantric

Yes  I use Caig Deoxit (and its predecessor Cramolin R5) on all my electronic gear periodically for 40 years

Ask any Professional Studio Calibration Tech (a dying breed) they apply DeOxit to the Studio Patch Bay at least once a year

If your electronic A/V gear is on Earth, exposed to Oxygen, and you rely on these tools to earn a living, you need Caig DeOxit. That's why it's sold at every professional A/V Gear Store. Some techs earn a living with a small set of tools, and just knowing how to use and where to sparingly apply Caig DeOxit.

http://m.markertek.com/brand/caig-laboratories-inc

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431477-REG/Hosa_Technology_F100L_L25C_DeoxIt_Fader_Lubricant.html

http://www.fullcompass.com/brand/CAI.html

looper

Hello everyone. I have a problem in 13-pin cable slot with GK3 my GR55.
I realize that the sound is not as before, getting low enough to hear the guitar strings. I think it's some kind of poor contact, because sometimes retreat and fit the cable again and the sound returns to normal, but then fades again. Already reversed the cable, but not resolved.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
Thanks

Elantric

jcessegismundo

Quote from: hcarlh on February 12, 2011, 01:14:43 PM
Thanks for the sticky!! :)

I"m sure this will help many frustrated synth guitar users.

HecticArt

Any updates on new good quality 13 pin cables being available?
I'm about to order a backup GKC-5 and was hoping someone found something a little more durable than the Roland offering.
D'addario hasn't brought back the Planet Waves that they used to sell.

Thanks!

Elantric

HecticArt

Thanks E!

I've seen Gittler mentioned in a few of the threads I've searched, but wasn't sure if I missed something new or if Gittler was still a popular product around here.
I flat out missed the BTPA comments. That's what I get for skimming)

Much appreciated!

OT
I just looked at the guitars on Gittlers website..... Wowzers.......

HecticArt

So I ordered a Gittler cable, and picked up a can of D5 on the same day the cable arrived.
It was freeeeezing cold out when I got the package with the cable off of my porch, so I decided to D5 my original cable while the Gittler warmed up to room temp.

Sure as heck, one of the pins on my original cable got loose while I was doing the plug/unplug cleaning process. Good thing I just got the new one.

I should have taken the advice above and ordered 2.

It's a nice cable and feels like it's better quality than the Roland.

.......so now I have another one on the way.....

gumbo

Quote from:  sec6
Have you noticed that the pins are recessed more on the Roland than the Gittler cable?  I have a feeling that this causes a lot of the connection problems with the Roland cables.  Anybody have any observations on these differences?

I have noticed that the Gittler cable does feel like a more solid fit in both the Roland and Synth-Linx Jacks..  I don't necessarily think that he 'extra' pin length (and therefore implied contact with the female receptacles in the jacks) is really the difference from an electrical contact point of view, rather that they tend to perhaps lessen sideways movement of the jackplug once inserted in the jack.

In the case of the Roland jack, with its single internal 'ground' contact opposite the locking pawl, the Gittler cable may prevent an amount of movement during use and therefore mean less disruption to the ground circuit.

The tests that I have done using metal-bodied Synth-Linx Jacks do not show any appreciable ground contact stability difference between the Roland & Gittler cables, but the Gittler cable is by far superior in construction and forethought, and is certainly the one that I would recommend.

For me (running RR Strats in a stage situation) there is no better solution, particularly from the right-angle plug factor.

HTH

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Steve Mac

Thanks to everyone for all of the assistance; it is so far "above and beyond".  I'm going to order a new cable as well, but did notice one post say to be aware that 13-pins are not MIDI cables (I was aware) but was also recommended to get a new cable from BTPA but I notice they call their cables "13-pin MIDI".  Hopefully you can see my modest concern.

Can anyone confirm they're using BTPA's cables, or is there an alternative source?

Oh, and after ditching the cable that caused patches to cycle and getting out my older cable, after using Deoxit it worked but there is a kind of "hiss" on certain strongly distorted patches ("Bad Horsie" is a prime example).  I suspect that economically it is better to still just get a new cable...thoughts?

Thank you, again, for all your help, in particular all the charts/schematics, etc.   Above and beyond...

Steve

admin

the BTPA cables are very good  - I own a few

Also PrimovaSound sells quality cables too

For explanation of why third parties call these MIDI cables

How the "13pin MIDI Cable" damaged the "Roland GK" VGuitar brand
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

RichEngle

Fellow players,

Here's what happened off-the-rip last night. I was about to teach a gtr lesson and was warming up, just using a normal 55 patch, everything sounded fine. So then, about a 1/2 hour later, the client showed up, got fired up and out of nowhere my D string (4, std. tuning) gave no signal at all. There was no dropping of the guitar, no apparent signs of damage. Also, I had recently replaced the 13 pin cable with a new one, no trouble there until now. I know that much also I know that I can't blend regular guitar signal in, but I have read things here about that, also vol knob on GK3 unit no response. I can deal with all that, but what I can't figure out is how you can play, put it down, pick it up and suddenly no D string. I am asking for ideas in advance meanwhile I guess I will reinitialize the machine and also check individual string levels. Probably try the latter first. Any ideas, folks? Oh, and yes, I tried reconnecting the cable, restarts, all that. Weird and VERY untimely as I of course have project work to play on. Ain't it always like that? :)  ADDENDUM: I cannot get an individual level read on the D. All I hear are sympathetic vibrations (octave). Also reinitialzed, still nothing. ACK.

Best Regards,
Rich Engle
Rich Engle
Ft. Myers, FL
Guitar Instructor
Audio Production
Composer
Live Performance

Elantric

Many things can cause a string drop out - typically its a poor contact on one of several mechanical mating surfaces for each string's analog signal path.

1 ) String PU coil on GK Hex PU
2 ) GK Hex PU wire harness
3 ) GK Hex PU to internal Gk Control board press fit connection
4 ) GK-3 "GK" Jack
5 ) GK 13 pin cable  "GK-3 End"
6 ) GK 13 pin cable  "GK Processor End"
7 ) GR-55 "GK" Jack

It can not be overstated how many of the "new" GK cable's that come bundled with the GR-55 +GK-3 package suffer from application during fabrication of a fine film of clear lacquer applied at the factory directly to the gold plated pins within the 13pin DIN plugs . its very fine, typically intended to be used only on sales rep display demo plugs to maintain a bright shiny appearance and avoid oxidation for plugs to be shown to potential customers , and not intended for production plugs. This stuff can contaminate the female mating surfaces on the "GK jacks" on GK-3 and GR-55.

I also observe the GK 13 cable supplied in the GR-55+Gk-3 bundle (and GP-10 + GK-3 bundle) is among the worst quality GK 13 cables I own - they are lower quality than the separately sold Roland GKC-5 and GKC-10 cables .

Remember these cables are often outsourced to a separate company,  and the GK-13 pin cable that came with my GR-55 was among the worst GK13 cable Ive ever experienced -lots of string signal dropouts  ( while the factory GK 13 cable supplied with my VG-99 is the best) My theory is many of the Asian production line workers that build the GK cables with gold pins also build other small gold consumer items - like jewelry or sunglasses, and think application of a clear coating will always render a "better looking" cable for the consumer 
Read the full thread we have on this here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

But check the GK DIRECTION setting in Gr-55, VG-99 GP-10 , if that is set wrong you wil get several strings which will not register correctly

RichEngle

OK all that done and still no D. Weirdness but as much as I love the 55, oh...such a delicate little cupcake. :)
Rich Engle
Ft. Myers, FL
Guitar Instructor
Audio Production
Composer
Live Performance

admin

If you have a GK-3 - a dead string might be due to a bad electrical connection on the Hex PU
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=410.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=183.0

See colored wires on far right in pic below.  V

HecticArt

Quote from:  sec6
Have you noticed that the pins are recessed more on the Roland than the Gittler cable?  I have a feeling that this causes a lot of the connection problems with the Roland cables.  Anybody have any observations on these differences?
I hadn't noticed, but will check. With it dead, I've got it in a box of things I might try fixing one day.
I think this one died because the pins on the Roland aren't soldered. I think one came loose when I was cycling the cable into the Jack trying to clean the contacts with the D5. So far, the Gittler feels like a better cable. It's still a little stiff, but I think it's likely to continue to relax over time.

gumbo

Quote from: gumbo on February 12, 2016, 02:54:46 AM
I have noticed that the Gittler cable does feel like a more solid fit in both the Roland and Synth-Linx Jacks..  I don't necessarily think that the 'extra' pin length (and therefore implied contact with the female receptacles in the jacks) is really the difference from an electrical contact point of view, rather that they tend to perhaps lessen sideways movement of the jackplug once inserted in the jack.

In the case of the Roland jack, with its single internal 'ground' contact opposite the locking pawl, the Gittler cable may prevent an amount of movement during use and therefore mean less disruption to the ground circuit.

The tests that I have done using metal-bodied Synth-Linx Jacks do not show any appreciable ground contact stability difference between the Roland & Gittler cables, but the Gittler cable is by far superior in construction and forethought, and is certainly the one that I would recommend.

For me (running RR Strats in a stage situation) there is no better solution, particularly from the right-angle plug factor.

HTH

Peter

FWIW,  Still think the pin length on the Gittler cable is not an issue..and it's other issues that come into play..

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

oniricodelator

Hello, I have a problem that may be common but I have not got the information about it, my MIDI cable of 13 pins stops sending the signal to one of the strings of my guitar and when I move it generates a noise, then I disconnect it and it I reconnect to my GR 55 or GK3 and solves the problem temporarily, does anyone know how I can solve this problem ?. Thank you.

admin

Common issue

read and follow the recommendations here

GK-13 cable Maintenance Tips
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

aliensporebomb

Gotta get some CAIG in house.  I used to use an ancient can of spray tuner cleaner which I used to use to clean things but I haven't seen that stuff for years since it did bad things to the ozone layer (but boy did it clean tape heads and other electronic things well).  I still have the can but the sprayer stopped working.  I shake it and feel plenty in there but since the sprayer part doesn't work it just sits on the shelf.

In recent days on two different GK guitars I've noticed the A string has been dropping out recently and I think what actually might be happening is the individual conductor in my GK cable (of which I
only have one now, the original one that came with my VG-99). 

I thought it was related to the magnetic shield that clamps around the cable putting excess weight on the top third of the cable when I wrap through my guitar strat possibly.  I'll be buying at least two GK cables and probably a GK2 since I want to run my VG-99 and GP-10 at the same time.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteI thought it was related to the magnetic shield that clamps around the cable putting excess weight on the top third of the cable when I wrap through my guitar strat possibly.

FWIW - that "magnetic shield that clamps around the cable " is a Ferrite core to suppress 25 MHz that might radiate from the VG-99 , and exceed FCC Class B RF emissions.

it was included built in on the supplied GK-13 cable with every new VG-99

the Ferrite core is supposed to plug into the VG-99  - not the guitar end of the cable.

And be mindful of the need for strain relief.

I see a few folks who just plug in their GK cable direct into the GK-3, then  after a few years wonder why they have string drop outs that are coincident with moving the GK cable

There are several factors, many were mentioned on the st post of this thread - but one thing we have not talked about is torque induced cold solder joints on the GK-13 Female DIN jack / receptacle inside the GK-3 or your internal GK-KIT GT-3

Is worth it to periodically inspecting these internal solder connections under the GK-13 Female DIN jack / receptacle inside the GK-3 or your internal GK-KIT GT-3, and reflow the solder if any anomalies  / strain related cold solder joints have occurred. 

aliensporebomb

I normally use the ferrite core on the VG-99 end of things.  And yes, I've used the "route your guitar cable through the strap to take strain off the connector trick" since the 24-pin days.

But, it's well past time for me to have multiple spare cables.  I've had the same 13-pin cable without incident for 8 years now.  And DeOxit.  I also realize the end of things where the most dust and whatnot shows up is actually on the guitar end.  It wouldn't hurt me to have a spare GK3 or two.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

alexmcginness

Quote from: aliensporebomb on April 13, 2017, 06:30:28 AM
  It wouldn't hurt me to have a spare GK3 or two.

It never hurts to have a spare GK pickup as well. Theres always a brand new on in the package in my suitcase. Ive never had to use it but if youre on a boat in the middle of the North Sea and something goes wrong, like a spare cable, its always good to have so you dont loose a nights pay.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric