GR-55 - Fretless /Slap bass-Does anyone have it?

Started by JCcares, May 17, 2011, 03:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCcares

Has any one tried editing the bass models to get a fretless sound or a slap bass sound?If so please share.Thanks.

Gastric

There's some very good slap bass PCM tones. You can even do string splits to have differing PCM tones for the lower and higher strings, apply different cutoffs to each, etc.

As far as COSM fretless or slap I cannot say, though in bass mode I thought simply slapping while using a COSM bass sounded good. There's no defretter effects in the GR-55 so you're left with trying to leverage touch wah, slow gear, etc. which wouldn't sound particularly convincing I wouldn't think.

JCcares

Thank you.I never thought of a defretter effect.Where can I get it if there is one available.

Gastric

BOSS GT boxes have them. GR-55 does not. You're best off with PCM tones. There's fretless and double bass (also fretless, of course) PCM tones in there.

JCcares

PCM is fine but they dont track precisely.The fretless tracking on my GR 33 is almost instant,for some reason! I've used it on recordings that blew the guys out of the studio.Gr 33 tracked great on flute,brass & fretless.I dont think I would part with that!

big_jan

You have a point in there on the GR33. I too am keeping my GR33 and use a US20 to drive both. Reason being is maybe I have been using the GR33 for so long that things became natural. The Violins, Pads, Sax and Organs (B3) Fretless bass sound suites to my playing style or technique. It will take a while to be at home with the GR55. There are tones however that sound incredibly better on the GR55, the chromatic harp while tough to control sounds so great. The fidelity of the GR55 is incredible.

Now its time to learn and relearn how to control the GR55..... Maybe one day I can just have a smaller footprint on the stage. Imagine what I had to bring until recently (VG99, FC300, GR33, US20, Jamman, Stagepas300, VoiceLive, A box of cables and adapters, VG stand, Ibanez 1520GK and 2 ACS Godins Nylon and Steel). No one wanted to come near me as I occupied the stage with so much real estate! Ha ha ha.

JCcares

What's a US 20? Never used that.Yes it's taking me quite a while to get used to the 55.The main issue is setting it up to respond without ghost notes & to my play feel.The 33 didn't have so many options in the system setup but I had it set up so neat.As for tracking I don't see too much of a difference.The main reason I got the 55 was for the guitar models & of course the bass & nylon model (which is a big plus).The nylon model isn't too good though.I love the guitar models & the fact that we dont have to use another processor.Great for the price. 

gumtown

Quote from: JCcares on May 19, 2011, 01:45:53 PM
What's a US 20? Never used that.
A Roland box type device for splitting the 13 pin GK signal to two devices, like using a GR-55 and a GR-33 or VG-99 at the same time.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gregjon

I am still having trouble too. It has to be something I am doing wrong.
I'll bet some of the people here can get any patch to sound good.
It would sure be nice if someone could provide a checklist of how to make a crummy sounding patch sound good with your set up.
For example, if I am trying to get a PCM banjo to sound good enough to use when I play a gig.

If it is rubbery sounding what should I look at first?
I just figured out (please don't laugh at this), that first you bring up the patch,
Then go to the Sensitivity and play with them, hit exit, listen, go back to Sensitivity and tweak till you get it close.
But then what should be the next logical step? Nuance and which parameter should I tweak first. And then how will this effect what I already tweaked ?
There are just millions of different possibilities and I just do not have the ear or instinct to guess what I should do next.
I know that if I ever get it sounding just right I should rename the GK Settings so I can possibly use this with another PCM sound that sounds unatural.  I suppose I will end up with different categories but I have3 different guitars so now what ?

What would the guys here that manage to get the GR-55 to work so well, suggest ?

Thanks

Greg

Fender 50th Anniversary Strat with GK3 pickup.
Godin Freeway SA
Godin Multiac Nylon SA
Fishman Triple Play
GR-55
GR-20
SUGS Selector
RFX Midi Foot Control Pedal
Ipad Air, Apps: Bias, Jam Up Pro, Flying Haggis, Tone Stack, Audiobus, Garage Band,

Gastric

GK settings should be global / universal to your specific instrument and not something you change unless you're plugging in a different instrument.

I'd start with an Initialized Patch, then simply set PCM 1 = Banjo and that should be an excellent start without having to do anything else. If the triggering is horrible it's possible your GK settings aren't setup well. If you hear extra ghost notes increase LOW VELOCITY CUT which seems to really be the most critical of all of the GK settings. Then work on playing cleaner without brushing other strings, though if you're trying crazy banjo finger picking that might be hard. :)