Improved Roland GKP-4 : What about a 2 Guitar to 4 Synth selector?

Started by CodeSmart, January 12, 2014, 03:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

Hi guys, I started this thread to investigate for something like this:
- 2 GK (or 2 standard) guitars in.
- 4 GK synth outputs
- Not a GKP-4 clone (all signals switched) ?
- One foot switch to select guitar 1 or 2
- One foot switch to select the unit receiving S1/S2 (Five states: 1,2,3,4,ALL)
- Four foot switches to enable sound on each synth unit 1-4

Better ideas on switches/layout?
More stuff like jacks for volume/expression pedals?
Footprint?
Who would ever want it?
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Elantric

Best to wait 2 weeks for further details on this new 13 pin processor from Antares  - there may be a key missing feature on this Antares floor unit that could be exploited in a future US-20 type product ,  - rumor is high this will hit the streets before Roland releases a successor to the VG-99.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7286.msg50719#msg50719

CodeSmart

Elantric,
well now I've waited for weeks...with outmost curiosity :o
What is the possibly key missing feature on the Antares foot pedal ?
No 13-pin output?

CodeSmart

Never mind Elantric,
I talked to friendly Henrik in good old Swedish about the 13-pin subject.

Elantric

I provided Antares a list of 13 pin functions that could enhance the Antares Floorpedal.

I think we must wait until final product release,

At minimum I expect this Antares Floorpedal to have a "GK Thru" 13pin DIN Out connector  - to allow GK-3 users to use Antares Autotune technology along with a GR-55 

Elantric

Just a FWIW - there are new Multiple Guitar  / to Multiple 13pin processor selector switches in this area of the forum

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=174.0

CodeSmart

I'm starting to think that my next project could be a 3-in, 3-out switcher (GKMX-33). I think that's the most flexible input/output ratio considering the available space within the rock solid Hammond enclosure I know well by now. I've learnt a lot about the mechanical aspects of drilling/mounting and the tediousness of soldering wires onto jacks and LED's so the next generation will have several boards. No soldering of wires, only flat cables between the boards and all jacks and LED's mounted on the top PCB. Hoping to bring down the manufacturing time from 10-12 hours to 4 hours.

I also think that if one of the units outputs modeled guitar (like Antares), it could be nice to be able to insert this output as the 13-pin GTR input signal to the other two units for further COSM sounds/effects.

By having more than one PCB there will be enough component space (since I'm not into surface mounting) to do a true 3 unit all-signal switcher instead of how it's done in US-20 (and clones like GKMX-42), allowing the VOL signal to be used for expression instead of volume.

I'm all ears if someone have further suggestions for a possible GKMX-33.