FTP - FC-1 Tuner is incorrect - reading +12 high FIXED

Started by JeffTronics, May 30, 2017, 12:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffTronics

My FC-1 is reading a half step high when disconnected from FTP via USB. I'm not sure when this started since getting my FTP installed a few weeks ago, connected, and configuring everything. Then I added the FC-1 on and it seemed straight forward.

When disconnected from the USB to my FTP software, guitar tuning reads on the FC-1 as +25. If I connect via USB and launch FTP, the tuner reads correctly.

The FTP software tuner shows the correct tuning.

The FC-1 is not connected to any other devices. I was using it successfully with my Roland U-220 via MIDI a couple of weeks ago. It was switching patches correctly.

As of today, I continue to have the issue after pushing the firmware to the FC-1, Controller, and Receiver. All updates confirmed as "succeeded"

Mac 10.8.5
FTP 1.4.106. 32bit
Receiver Version 1.85
Controller Version 2.33
FC-1 Version 1.5

Any thoughts on what's going on?

Thanks

JT

zjanosy

Hi JT,

The FC-1 only displays the tuning value that is sent from the controller, it does not itself implement a tuner. Therefore it must be the controller sending wrong values.

There is one global parameter for the Tune Base (normally 440 Hz), which may affect the tuning. It is possible that this parameter has been changed in the controller (e.g., by inadvertently entering "Hardware mode").

The FTP application resets this value to 440 Hz, whenever it detects that the controller is connected. However, apparently the controller does not store this value, therefore when it is later started in standalone mode, it will use its own setting. That's my theory...

You may try to reset the Tune Base value using the "Menu Tree" function, though I'm not sure it is still available in the most recent release of the FTP application. Alternatively try doing a factory reset (hold the BACK key while powering on). This will certainly clear all your hardware patches, but you can restore them from the FTP application.

If this does not fix the problem, please contact Fishman's Customer Service for help.

Zoltan

JeffTronics

Hi Zoltan,

Thanks for your input. I"m currently away from my gear for a day, but will consider what you think is going on. I checked that Tune Base is 440 in Preferences of FTP. And you are right, the menu tree is no longer available (i read this too in the 1.4 manual). I'm thinking a hardware reset is worth a try. Thanks again for your input.

JT

JeffTronics

...update.

Hopefully I am not speaking up to soon about the fix.
Resetting the controller from the TP 1.4 version did not resolve my problem. After the reset and launching TP v1.4, I saw the progress dialog pushing the patches to the controller. But still had the tuning issue. I even re-pushed the firmware updates for the controller and receiver, and FC-1.

Part 1
In my case, I had to revert back to TP v1.2 (installer that came with my product box), and revert to the previous firmware version for the controller, v2.12. The push failed a few times due to un-pairing between the receiver and controller during the update. I overcame this by quitting TP v.1.2, paired the devices, launched the app, and successfully updated the controller to v2.12.

At this point - as a test, I quit the app, put the receiver in the FC-1 which is not connected via usb to the computer, and the tuner was correct! Making progress

Part 2
I inserted the receiver back into the Mac. Than, I launched TP 1.4 (we know this is needed for the FC-1) and received the controller firmware upgrade prompt for v2.33, and again, the firmware could not push because the devices unpaired during the process. I quit the app, paired the devices, launched TP v1.4, and the firmware pushed successfully.

Again, put the receiver in the FC-1, and the tuner is correct. Fixed

Summary. So it appears something was going on at the Firmware level initially, for me. The only difference I can think of that may have contributed to this is, I previously had TP v1.3. This version was the actual first version for FC-1 Support. I know because it was the only update available after I installed everything in mid May 2017, a week before v1.4 came out.

TIP. Because what I did required going back to the older version of Triple Play. I first moved the v1.4 app icon to a folder in the Applications Folder. I named the folder Triple Play 1.4. Then, proceeded with the TP 1.2 version package installation. In the Installation option I deselected the option to installed the VST plugins. Since they are already installed, and I only wanted the Triple Play application. After I resolved my issue, I deleted the 1.2 app icon, moved my v1.4 app icon back to the root level of my applications folder, and deleted the renamed folder.