Using the GR-55 to control an external sound module

Started by stufromthequays, March 28, 2011, 08:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stufromthequays

Right, I'm probably being a but silly here, but I can't see how to change patches on my Yamaha CS6-R using my GR-55 as the controller. On my GR-33 I was able to send external patch change numbers and MSB/Hex/LSB messages (apparently - I'm only quoting the manual here, I'm a bit of a technical dullard...) so that changing patches from, say, 1 to 2 on my GR-33 would change from internal patch 3 to external patch 45 on my CS6-R. Is this something that is possible to achieve with the GR-55 or do I need to go back to turning round at the beginning of a song to set the patch no on my rack. I'm loath to use a seperate midi controller to control the CS6-R as I already take up half the stage!!!

LOVING my GR-55 - 3 gigs in and it's already an invaluable bit of kit.

gumtown

Somewhere in the GR-55 SYSTEM midi settings is an option for "PC Out", check this is enabled to allow Program Change messages out from the GR-55.
So long as the midi-out from the GR-55 is connected to the midi-in on the yamaha, and the GR-55 back USB port is not in use.

GR-55 Guitar to MIDI Controller setup

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3787.0
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stufromthequays

Thanks for that, that's cool, but how do I control which program change command is sent?

gumtown

Each midi device sends standard patch/bank change data,
and it is normally up to the receiving device to decide how to use the data.
The GR-55 has a midi program table to re-allocate it's own patches on received midi from an external device,
the Yamaha should have a simular midi program table to modify the patch arrangements from the GR-55 standard P.C. data.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stufromthequays

You'd think so, but I don't think it has - that's why the GR-33 was useful, as you could specify the outgoing message data. Ho hum - back to square one...

Gassghost

Hi:
I too have been struggling with this and after reading many posts, I'm still VERY unclear as to how to send unique bank/patch change messages to down line gear. As mentioned in an earlier post the 33 allows the option to assign unique midi bank and patch change cc messages to each patch. I've done some digging on the 55 and I just can't find it. Can someone on the forum please explain in layman terms how to do this? Also, if you move a move a patch say from bank 10 patch 3 to bank 1 patch 1 does it keep the original cc patch ID or does it assume the new position cc ID? I'm totally in the dark on this and the answers on the forum so far, are less than clear.

Here's another interesting note, right now I have my GR-55 as the first unit in my midi chain. I then go to my 33 then to my GT-Pro and finally to a Proteus 2000 sound module. The 55 sends program change messages to all the units but does not seem to be sending note messages to the Proteus thru the 33 and GT-pro. So am I looking at a midi splitter to get the thru note messages to the Proteus? It's also a little weird that it sends volume messages to the 33 but not to the GT-pro or the proteus.

There are a lot of good things about the 55 but the limited 3 patches per bank, lack of p-glide and intelligent harmonizer along with a nightmare for midi implementation so far is a real bummer for me. I was hoping I could leave the 33 and GT- pro in the studio but adding the 55 is adding another piece of gear to the road show.

Help!

Gass
GR-303 updated electronics, Stetsbar, Sustainiac
GR-808 (original) + Stetsbar (FOR SALE)
79 Strat w/ GK-2A
Eastman El Ray 1 and El Ray 3
94 Fender Tele w/GK-2A, Stetsbar
2 Fender GTX 100's
VG-99, GR-55, FC-300
And studio full of stuff