Roland AIRA

Started by montyrivers, February 07, 2014, 06:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montyrivers

Here is a teaser of Roland's new line of AIRA machines.  Appears to be four different modules.  They are boasting a new kind of modelling engine based on the TB 303/ TR 909 gritty little synths.  The teaser videos are highly pretentious and Roland seems very excited about this release so I can only assume that this is where their R&D has been focused for the last four or five years?  I think it looks interesting.  Aesthetically the units appear similar to MicroKorg and Volca synths.  Maybe Roland is trying to directly compete with that but at a higher price point.

Teasers found here:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/02/07/roland-aira-photos-videos-and-technology-overview/

The Roland engineers standing around in labcoats made me lol.

shawnb

I find a warped sense of comedy in these...  Modern Roland engineers carefully opening up ancient Boss gear, carefully in a lab, like archeologists with an ancient relic, trying to figure out what worked in the past... 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

mbenigni

There's definitely a warped sense of humor in this.  Almost like they're having a laugh at the fact that they need to seem technical without saying anything that would actually be meaningless to the layman.  The attached screen shot says it all:

GovernorSilver

Here was a comment that was posted to the ohpeewon forum, then subsequently deleted:

I got to play with prototypes back in November. Non disclosure agreement expires now that the Aira site is up. All 4 Aira machines are digital, but will use modeling technology rather than PCM. The TR-08 has 909 sounds as well. They are not software controllers. This new division of Roland is dedicated to hardware since software has taken a huge chunk of their sales. Pieces are solid and well built. Pricing will be extremely un-Roland (low) from what they told me. I'm not going to quote them here, though. Aira units are geared toward live performance rather than recording. One of them will have a very promising functionality. I really can't say much more in a public forum, but feel free to inbox me with any burning questions. Only 2 of the 4 prototypes were operational, TR-08 being one of them. Played with them for about 45 mins. Great fun.

I think he was forced to delete his post because of the comment about pricing. 

I've been wanting a TB-303 or a clone thereof for some time.  What can I say, I love the acid techno sound.  I've never had as much of a fetish for the TR-808 or TR-909, but my interest may be piqued by the TR-08 depending on the pricing and feature set.  I'd also like to see what that knobby keyboard member of the Aira family is about.

Elantric

QuoteI've been wanting a TB-303 or a clone thereof for some time.

I occasionally use this when I need my "TB-303 fix"   $15

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rebirth-for-ipad/id401704148?mt=8

ReBirth is back! Propellerhead Software's legendary Techno Micro Composer has been resurrected and customized for the iPad. ReBirth faithfully emulates dance music's three backbone devices: The Roland TB-303 Bass synth and the Roland TR-808 and 909 drum machines. Combine these with FX units, fully featured pattern sequencers and a gorgeous-looking interface and you're ready to make killer tracks on your iPad. Share your music with friends on Facebook, Twitter and more using the built in sharing features.

Features
2 x TB-303 Bassline Synthesizer with pattern sequencer
The original Acid House and Techno bass synth. Unrivaled power, unmistakable sound.

TR-808 Drum machine
Roland's sub-heavy 1980 beat computer. Instant hip-hop.

TR-909 Drum machine
The go-to beatbox for everything House and Techno. Press play and you're dancing.

Tempo-synced digital delay
Bouncy and hypnotic, always in time with your music.

Compressor with threshold and ratio
A bare-bones compression unit for added beefiness.

Distortion unit with amount and shape
Raw and rugged distortion for that extra edge. Works wonders with any 303 bassline.

PCF effect
Pattern controlled Low-pass / Band-pass filter - a tweaker's delight.

Mixer
Device specific mixer sections with pan, delay sends and FX switches

Mod support
Includes 7 original user mods with alternative sound sets and graphics

Sharing features
Share function with easy publication of songs to Facebook, Twitter and other social networks.

GovernorSilver

I  have the Rebirth app.  But I also just got Korg Gadget which has its own 303 clone ("Chicago"). 

montyrivers

Roland is so going the way of the dinosaurs.  The AIRA vocoder module has no midi i/o.  ...why the eff not?

GovernorSilver

CDM's coverage:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/02/roland-aira-synth-bassline-drum-machine-vocal-fx-heres-need-know/

Scatter appears to be an emulation of the effect blatantly used in the song "Gangnam Style". 

TB-3 looks like a possible fun addition to my rig in the future - not now as I just ordered a Bassbot TT-303.  The TB-3 can do side-chaining on incoming audio (via an input) as shown here around 7:25:

Nothing I am hearing about the TR-8 is putting the scare into my Command Station, as far as the sequencer goes. I'm not really an analog/VA drum nut anyway.

I'll keep an eye on System 1, because of the possibility of future models.  The one that comes in it now, the SH-101, doesn't interest me as I have an Alesis Microbrute which is kind of along that vibe.

Two of the machines that inspired the Aira line - the TB-303 and the TR-808, were apparently initially conceived as accompaniment tools for guitarists, so I suppose its fitting we're talking about their descendants here.  8)

montyrivers

TB 3 does side chain on just compression or to automate a bunch of stuff?  Either way that would make it insta buy.

Edit:  After looking at the video more closely, the audio sidechaining is handled by the TR8.  The TB3 has no inputs.

montyrivers

Official retail price target from Roland US:

VT3 (vocoder) $199
TB3 (Bass) $299
TR8 (drums) $499
SYSTEM1 (VA/VST host) $699

GovernorSilver

Quote from: montyrivers on February 15, 2014, 03:28:21 AM
TB 3 does side chain on just compression or to automate a bunch of stuff?  Either way that would make it insta buy.

Edit:  After looking at the video more closely, the audio sidechaining is handled by the TR8.  The TB3 has no inputs.

Good catch.  I predict the TR8 will be the best seller of the bunch.

GovernorSilver

montyrivers

Impressive.  I wonder if they worked out the pitch follow glitches from the old Vocal Designer stuff.  I can only assume that is the tech at work here.  Guitars with single notes seem to track brilliantly, albeit with some natural porta.   I wonder what will happen if somebody strikes a chord? *badum psh*

GovernorSilver

I'm guessing the VT-3 would behave with monophonic guitar input in a way similar to how the EHX vocoder pedals (one of them anyway - Bill Ruppert did a demo) behave.  Glitches can be interesting to me... ;)

Elantric

FWIW - the Line6 POD HD500 / HD500X also include monophonic Synth effects

I'm not hearing  / seeing anything here in the AIRA that should generate this much excitement frankly.

bbob

Pod HD PRO synth tones tutorial

GovernorSilver

Before I got my VG-99, I was using an EHX HOG as a polyphonic (from mono guitar input) synth pedal - much more limited of course, but I dig it.

montyrivers

Well the VT3 has me interested purely as a carrier modulator.  It could definitely create some great sounds not possible with the vg 99 or POD by themselves when used as an external filter.  My only concern of course is the lack of midi in which, in my mind, makes polyphonic pitch detection impossible.

It has me slightly disappointed but I still have my V Synth for that kind of thing.